olympia who's been?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i'm planning to go tomorrow - although was debating it before reading this thread!!

it's my day off and i have an oyster card so might just go and have a look anyway as have nothing else to do (well tidying up can wait!)

i'm already annoyed OPI aren't going to be there - i got a letter telling me but no explanation why they weren't.

it's prob for the best, i'm pretty skint at the mo anyway!

Oh I am so glad I didn't sacrifice my Sunday. I decided not to go when I looked at the list of Exhibitors. Most of the companies I wanted to buy something from weren't exhibiting so it was hard for me to justify the expense.

The show was cancelled at the last minute last year because of the poor interest. I sure won't be surprised if this is the last one.

Hopefully those Geeks competing are having a better time x

Hi All,

I was due to go to the Olympia show with my partner in crime BUSYBEE 32 (JEN) but she became unwell and was hospitalised GET WELL SOON HUN!!

So did I miss a good day? from what Ive read on the thread I didn't!!

Angie xx

The show in Sept last year was cancelled = not this one run by different people

I went yesterday, not a lot of nail or big named companys there but still spent alot,

My friend had her eye liner tattoed on which looks fab and cost a fortune,

I had a good day but could of been better,

And the chocolate fountain was lush lol

Tracy x

I had my long list too. I always visit Millennium, Creative, OPI and Hollywood Nails, so was also disappointed to find that none of them were there. I just wish I had checked the exhibitors list before I went. However, I did buy a bag and some jewellery and my daughter got her belly button pierced....ouch!! So it was still worth going to and I will continue to go. Please don't give up Geeks otherwise they might put a stop to the shows.......and that really would be disappointing!!

its a shame that after every beauty show going, there seems to be about 80% of visitors dissapointed, i know I have been!! if you look back there has been hardly any good feedback about the last few shows inc. Birmingham, ExCel and Manchester which I have been to all three, didn't go to Olympia because of the lack of companies attending.

I think exhibitors and organisers should start listening to whats going on, look at attendance figures and focus on quality and not quantity. i think geeg said have 1 BIG beauty show where every company goes once a year, thats what the hairdressers do at salon international! just my two pennies ladies! xx

I'm glad that i didn't go..!! i didn't found any one wants to go with me so decided not to go alone...and I'm not really in need for any thing and going there means spending a lot for things i don't really need..so it was a good decision though...sorry you've all had a bad day hope next year will be better..xx

well, i went and i was extremely disappointed.

i walked round all the stalls and bought some make up brushes and 2 nail varnishes.

i saw a lot of eye-lash extension stands, hair extensions and jewellery, hardly any nails, which at the london nailympics you'd expect to find.

slight waste of a day, i much prefered excel, was much more to look at and see and a much better vibe

I have just got home i was disappointed not many nail stands i went on the Le chat stand which was great but could have bought the things i needed any time. That aside had a lovely day with my hubby, makes a nice change to be on our own. I spent more money on food than any thing else.x

I totally agree with the idea of one big show with everyone there, My very first show was at exel 2006, was a wonderful day for that very reason, the problem is that its so expensive to stand at these shows and if the companies are willing to give us vat free days on line, we get our bargains and they come out on top by saving the stand costs, so why bother?
Such a shame though, when we all come back from a good show we are all inspired for weeks and threads on here are so full of new ideas on every subject.
So yes a massive show once a year would deffio get my vote:green:

I had a great time meet lots of people and contacts.

But then again it was my first show. i was so excited.

Went today and was fairly disappointed. I use OPI and needed to top up with some polishes and bits and they weren't there and I didn't get a letter telling me either, I obviously am not important enough!!

Also the exhibitors list that was online was made up of some of last year's exhibitors that weren't there this year so it was a bit misleading ie. Odyssey Nail Systems and the Nail Training Academy. Maybe they needed to boost the list to make us go.

Came away with virtually no new nail products but did get some nice mineral make up at a bargain price.

I really enjoyed myself, it was my first time so I didn't know what to expect. But had a good day.

I also think one big show once a year would be great idea.
why the big companies were'nt there i don't know, they must have lost out on money,
or are they so big they don't need to make anymore money.
I for one am not impressed. i just don't understand this,
people attending the show with there purses full wanting to spend there money. and couldn't what's going on. how ridiculous.
I was hoping to get so much and like the rest of you came away with nothing.( So strange.)
anyway I very much doubt if i'll go to another show.
why should we get up at the crack of dawn sit on a dirty old train changing half a dozen times because of engineering works. wait in a long queue, with out a place to go for refreshments, after all that the companies can't even be bothered to come to the shows.
what are we daft or something, poor show very poor show.
Im just so glad we didn't pay for the tickets, as i think there would have been a mini world war 3 in progress.
anyway I thought i was over this but evidently i wasn't lol thg

Last edited:
I also think one big show once a year would be great idea.
why the big companies were'nt there i don't know, they must have lost out on money,
or are they so big they don't need to make anymore money.
I for one am not impressed. i just don't understand this,
people attending the show with there purses full wanting to spend there money. and couldn't what's going on. how ridiculous.
I was hoping to get so much and like the rest of you came away with nothing.( So strange.)
anyway I very much doubt if i'll go to another show.
why should we get up at the crack of dawn sit on a dirty old train changing half a dozen times because of engineering works. wait in a long queue, with out a place to go for refreshments, after all that the companies can't even be bothered to come to the shows.
what are we daft or something, poor show very poor show.
Im just so glad we didn't pay for the tickets, as i think there would have been a mini world war 3 in progress.
anyway I thought i was over this but evidently i wasn't lol thg

The reason why alot of the big companies did not exhibit is due to the high cost of the space for their stand, they also have to pay for the travel of their demonstrators plus hotel costs. Its not a case of they cant be bothered.....If your distributors weren't showing then all you have to do is ring them and ask as they weren't exhibiting, are they offering any show deals......if thats what you were looking for.
David

How ridiculous to say that companies can't be bothered! A company can't be bothered looking after business!! Unlikely.

The cost of a show is huge, not only the stand space but staff costs (traveling, hotels, food, wages) then there are transport costs of the stand and stock, the cost of the designed stand, insurance and on and on.

Now add in another little fact: show after show, visitor numbers are going down and people are not spending money. Visitor numbers started going down long before the shows got smaller.

For years organisers have been letting in the public to boost the numbers but everyone moaned about that so it doesn't happen so much.

I said it so often and I'll say it again, the industry is not growing. How much proof do you need. The industry is not growing because the industry (i.e. technicians) is not growing its client base. If it was, there would be plenty of spending, if technicians were spending companies with be selling; and they're not!

I can't believe these big companies can't afford the stands, what the point of shows then , we didn't put 100% effort into coming to shows to see the likes of rio and market type stands handbags, jewellery hair clips etc, if i wanted that i'd of gone to the sunday market.
So please don't tell me they can't afford it.
total rubbish , sooooooooooo :mad:thg
lot of us can't afford training and equipment but we scrimp and scrape to find the money, and these shows are a great source of knowledge and support for peeps who are eager to try something new.
sorry to go on but it's not acceptable to me anyway..

I was lucky enough to help out on a stand at Excel last year. for a pokey little stand, plus all the other expenses it cost 20K!!!!!!!!!!!! That is one hell of a lot of products and training etc a company has to recoup to cover its costs. We are all in business to make money and not just a pR exercise ... aren´t we? And with 5 or more shows a year that´s 100K straight out of your bottom line. I bet a lot of companies don´t even turn that over, never mind make that profit!

I can't believe these big companies can't afford the stands, what the point of shows then , we didn't put 100% effort into coming to shows to see the likes of rio and market type stands handbags, jewellery hair clips etc, if i wanted that i'd of gone to the sunday market.
So please don't tell me they can't afford it.
total rubbish , sooooooooooo :mad:thg
lot of us can't afford training and equipment but we scrimp and scrape to find the money, and these shows are a great source of knowledge and support for peeps who are eager to try something new.
sorry to go on but it's not acceptable to me anyway..

I'm sorry if this sounds harsh, but you have no idea about the cost and logistics involved in these big exhibitions. It's not just the cost of the stand (which is astronomical), but the company has to pay for staff to work on in, their accomodation, the cost of getting products to the show as well as covering at Head Office....... As well as making reduced profit because we all want 'show deals'. Personally, I would prefer my distributor to spend that money on me - their loyal customer - rather than going chasing money at the shows where any tom, d*ck or harriet can buy straight off the stand with no proof of training or education......

And before you ask, I do have experience of these big exhibitions as an exhibitor in a previous life/career......

Latest posts

Back