Opinions on name please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danni007

Reaction score
Hi, I really love the name "Ugly Duckling Beauty" I' m a bit concerned that its too cartoony. just wondering what everyone else thinks. Thanks

Hi, I really love the name "Ugly Duckling Beauty" I' m a bit concerned that its too cartoony. just wondering what everyone else thinks. Thanks

It makes me feel like I'd be ugly if I went :(
Sorry just my opinion x x

loving the creativity but its a bit of a mouthful and not sure i like it xx

Agree with both the other comments.... It doesn't inspire me to want to come in and see for myself, which your name should do!

See where you coming from but it too would make me think I'd come out looking ugly..
But if you went the other way beautiful swan or swan beauty and had a quote inside, saying no ugly ducklings here just beautiful swans etc

Good luck x

Sounds like a make-over place for mingers :)

Joking!....Actually, I agree, its very creative and I'm sure there's loads you could do with the branding. It's quirky and it's got a sense of humour- which can only be a good thing.

The only concern I'd have is that it intimates that you turn up an ugly duckling and leave as as beautiful swan.......which may be true, but I'm not sure it's the right connotation.

I think the poster above is on the right track with Swan Beauty- where no-one leaves as an ugly duckling.

p.s. Stop apologising about having an opinion when asked for one- even if its negative. This is a forum :)

I agree as above as much as its creative and catchy I don't think it's the right naming i would want to entertain somewhere named that

Love the swan beauty idea

Thanks everyone, you all confirmed my concerns. One of the reasons I loved it was because when I was little I asked my Dad if I was pretty and he told me the story of the ugly duckling! Its now a family joke and is known as my story. I do like the swan beauty idea and had thought of it but was worried it sounded like a book of matches! I guess there will always be another way to look at a name. Thanks again for all your help and ideas.

Jade goody used to have a beauty salon called "uglys" and it didn't do too well and she closed it down in the end and I'm sure the name never helped. Imagine when you answered the phone "hello ugly ducklings" not really inspiring that you're beautiful (or gonna be made to be :)
It's a lovely story with your dad though so I can see why you're sentimental about it. Maybe you could still use the idea, like someone else said, "swan beauty bar" or something .....

Mine is GoodMonkey. I went round and round in circles for months trying to come up with something else more "appropriate".

A little unusual and only time will tell if it puts clients off coming to me. However all of my work is from word of mouth so far as I've not done any advertising so far so I won't really know yet.

The story of my name - I always used to say to my son when he was a little boy "Oh you are a good monkey" when he had been a good boy and he used to laugh. It brings a smile to my face every time I picture his little face (he's a 6' strapping 20 year old now). I also happened to own the domain name and after constant searching I couldn't get another one that resonated with me.

I plan to use my logo as advertising (not the one in my avatar- Carl has updated and modified me! ) I hope it will stick in people's minds, the clients I have asked for feedback so far really like it (or so they say). My loyalty card has banana stickers and it makes my clients smile but most of all I hope it makes me a little bit different and memorable - in a good way I hope.

Also I am in the lucky position that I work part time in another industry so I can afford to sit and wait for the word of mouth clients.

Not really much help to you OP but I just wanted you to know that you are not alone if you go for the quirky rather than the traditional.

However I may sound hypocritical now but I'm not sure I like Ugly Duckling.

What about Fairytale Beauty or something along those lines?

Mine is GoodMonkey. I went round and round in circles for months trying to come up with something else more "appropriate".

A little unusual and only time will tell if it puts clients off coming to me. However all of my work is from word of mouth so far as I've not done any advertising so far so I won't really know yet.

The story of my name - I always used to say to my son when he was a little boy "Oh you are a good monkey" when he had been a good boy and he used to laugh. It brings a smile to my face every time I picture his little face (he's a 6' strapping 20 year old now). I also happened to own the domain name and after constant searching I couldn't get another one that resonated with me.

I plan to use my logo as advertising (not the one in my avatar- Carl has updated and modified me! ) I hope it will stick in people's minds, the clients I have asked for feedback so far really like it (or so they say). My loyalty card has banana stickers and it makes my clients smile but most of all I hope it makes me a little bit different and memorable - in a good way I hope.

Also I am in the lucky position that I work part time in another industry so I can afford to sit and wait for the word of mouth clients.

Not really much help to you OP but I just wanted you to know that you are not alone if you go for the quirky rather than the traditional.

However I may sound hypocritical now but I'm not sure I like Ugly Duckling.

What about Fairytale Beauty or something along those lines?

Great name, great story and I soooo want a loyalty card with banana stickers ;) xx

I like it, and it's got a nice bit of family history for you. However, I would change it slightly to call the salon: Not the ugly duckling.

Then you're saying you won't be the ugly duckling if you see what I mean. But it's quirky and sweet.

The swan bit I definitely don't like :( Too cliched and predictable. Sorry!!!

Love the GoodMonkey story :) and name too.

How about Beautiful Duckling?

Sent from my HTC Desire using SalonGeek

If I rang a number and didn't know what type of business it was and they answered the pho e with .... Hello Ugly Ducklings... I would think it was some sort of kids play group! Like wacky warehouse! Lol!!

What about little ducklings or some else to do with ducklings??
I think it would be a nice idea to have your 'story' written on the wall like in reception if you do go ahead with ugly ducklings.

While working at the Olympics last month we stayed in an amazing hotel called runny meades on themes! Google it!! There logo is a little yellow rubber duck!! And there attention to detail is amazing!!! On the back of the till receipt is little ducks, the have a rubber duck hall of fame in the lobby! They have duck beaks on the mugs! Was really quirky and I loved spotting all the little ducks! Haha

I wouldn't want to go to a place where I feel like I have to be ugly to go there.
Yes it implies that you'll be a gorgeous swan by the end of it but ...
If you're in the beauty industry and your name has the word ugly in it...that's kind of the opposite of what people want to be.
Something more aspiration would be better.
I can see you're creative and have a sense of humour...perhaps if you put that energy into your branding and sales copy eg when you talk about your services perhaps you can create an interesting/quirky, fun explanation of services.
Perhaps you could inject a bit more fun into your answering service message?
Hope that helps

I'll share my other name I had because I didn't take it in the end, but I had jotted down

Oh so beautiful

Not sure if you like? X

Sent from my HTC Desire C using SalonGeek

I think this name is completely Quackers :biggrin: Sorry i couldn't resist!!
No i quite like it actually xx

honestly i wouldn't land foot in your salon! UGLY WHAT??? ok answer this

how would you answer the phone?
hello ugly duckling how may i help you????????????????????

Latest posts

Back