People entering the beauty industry 'just for the money'?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Violet Star

Reaction score
Hi geeks,

Im feeling a little peeved at the moment. I have just been looking at a certain website/forum and there is a section which focuses on self employed jobs. On the first page alone i noticed 20 topics of people wanting to do spray tanning because they need money or need an extra income not one of them mentioned they want to do spray tanning because its really what they want to do or have a passion for the beauty industry oh no they need quick cash!!

After seeing this its made me realise that sooooooo many tom **** and Harry's enter the beauty industry for just that extra cash or some quick fix money, there is no passion, no care or no bother in the world apart from money.

Why am i in the beauty and nail industry?
Because i adore it! I love every aspect of it and i enjoy making people feel a million dollars! The only place i see passion for beauty industry is on salon geek!!

With nails its very different yes people will go ahead take a course thinking wow I'm going to earn big bucks doing nails only to realise doing nails is the hardest thing they will ever do and give up. With tanning its a different story its so easy and people will do it because its easy.

Does anyone feel like this? And do you think it is or will get to the point where there are just way too many so called "beauty therapists" that there wont be enough room for everyone?
Do you think its fair for people to do treatments for the money when there are most of us on here who strive and care so much for our clients and how they look!

:hug:

I absolutly love my job, and my clients that I have. Saying that, I do need to earn money to feed my kids, so money does play a part! I gave up a very high earning, power job in the city to train in beauty, and dont regret it one bit. Do i miss the huge income? You bet, lol:lol:

Hun this is everywhere, not just in beauty therapy. There are thousands of people out there that hate their job and just do it for the money.

I am professional at what I do and have more passion than anyone could imagine.I'd be lying if I said I wasn't doing it for the cash. I'm doing a job I love, for money. If you compare this to a Therapist that doesn't have any passion for what they do, have had hardly any training and completely don't enjoy it then yes they will get clients but how many of them will go back? It wont take long for their business to become dead.
I really don't worry about it. I just show my clients that I am one of the best out there. Word of mouth is very powerful! and professionalism goes a long way xxx

My opinion is that a lot of people do their job just for the money and not because they love it more than anything so why should this industry be different. I don't understand why you're so upset about it though.

I hope you don't take this the wrong way but I find that most of your threads focus far too much on other peoples business rather than your own. Forget the others, if they are not as interested in their job as you then so what?
If you are good then no lack of enthusiasm on other peoples part will harm your business. x

To tell the truth, i might be putting myself in the firing line now, but that is the main reason i went in the beauty therapy direction. I was looking for a job that pays more money then i earn as a nursery nurse and that i can do flexibly around my baby, for myself one day and the beauty industry appeared to accomodate that.
It just so happens that i realised it was the job i'd been looking for all the time i dabbled in different industries. I love it. And typically i now find that it probably wont be as flexible as i first thought but i dont care as now i've finally found a career path i love and as a result will be happy to work it into my life.
At the end of the day, i know money isnt everything and whilst i was on my own i enjoyed part time pub work and doing jobs because i love them, but now i have a family and bills to pay what i want and what i need to provide for my baby dont always come hand in hand, so i have to do whats best whatever sacrifices i may need to make.
Fortunately Beauty therapy pays better then being a nursery nurse! :)

If i didnt earn good money from this industry i wouldnt do it. why? Because i have two children and a mortgage to pay. Unfortunately for most i suspect, its not about doing a job you really really love its about doing a job thats going to pay the bills. If Tesco paid me more than i earn doing spray tanning then i would be working there instead, and i certainly dont have a passion for tesco :) its just the real world.

Instead i think myself lucky that i can (for now) earn good money doing something i enjoy. But it would not stop me going for a completely different job if it meant i could afford a holiday home in Cyprus (at the top of my very very long wish list :) )

To tell the truth, i might be putting myself in the firing line now, but that is the main reason i went in the beauty therapy direction. I was looking for a job that pays more money then i earn as a nursery nurse and that i can do flexibly around my baby, for myself one day and the beauty industry appeared to accomodate that.
It just so happens that i realised it was the job i'd been looking for all the time i dabbled in different industries. I love it. And typically i now find that it probably wont be as flexible as i first thought but i dont care as now i've finally found a career path i love and as a result will be happy to work it into my life.
At the end of the day, i know money isnt everything and whilst i was on my own i enjoyed part time pub work and doing jobs because i love them, but now i have a family and bills to pay what i want and what i need to provide for my baby dont always come hand in hand, so i have to do whats best whatever sacrifices i may need to make.
Fortunately Beauty therapy pays better then being a nursery nurse! :)

Well what are we all here for if its not to earn an honest living and if we are lucky enough to have a passion for what we do then all the better...nothing worse than doing a job that you don't enjoy :hug:

Isn't it a great feeling to derive an income from what you love doing :hug:

I have to say over the many years in this industry that the tenacity,drive and spirit that therapists demonstrate each and every day the sun rises absolutely astounds me.

The investment that is made in education to further enhance their businesses is seldom seen in other sectors.

Let alone the aspect of growing a business this is done so in between juggling the kids on school runs,keeping the household going and so on.

There are so many that enter with good intentions..these far outweigh those that enter for the wrong reasons.

These newcomers deserve a pat on the back as they are chasing that dream...financial independence or at least contributing to the house hold income and maybe to do something they love doing.

It is a dam fine privilege to be in a position to be a participant in enabling these individuals realise there dreams ..or at least to help them on their way.

I say well done to them all for having the b###s to invest what little they have managed to save by robbing "Peter to Pay Paul"in making a go for it...each and every one is an absolute star :hug:

Hi, Violet star,
Well a gals gotta earn a living somehow , and a guy too...
and as Collin says if she / he likes what they are doing that's even better,

everyone to a certain extent is working for exactly the same reason,
as you are,
and that is hopefully a decent pay packet to pay the household bills with each month,

If we are working hard all day making others look nice
and it doesn't pay the bills ,then we would have to re think and go get another job that we may hate
which I might add that (a job that others may love ),
which would then put us in the same category of......
"I don't really like this job but it pays the bills"

I think most of us have done all sorts of boring jobs to work around the children and to make ends meet just so they could have little extras ect...
but thats just life and what most of us have to do

it's swings and roundabouts for us all
I hope that made sense :)

Minky and others very good point and completely agree and understand with whats been said. I think i may have worded it a little bit wrong.

What it is that annoys me is when those who just do it for the money only and nothing else that also brings carelessness into the treatment i.e dont care what the persons tan looks like they just want their money.
Am i making more sense?

Rather than a moany old fart lol

Minky and others very good point and completely agree and understand with whats been said. I think i may have worded it a little bit wrong.

What it is that annoys me is when those who just do it for the money only and nothing else that also brings carelessness into the treatment i.e dont care what the persons tan looks like they just want their money.
Am i making more sense?

but people like that wont make much money cos they will never get returning custom...and its regular returning clients that earn you the money...anyone can get a client...not everyone can keep them.

Am i making more sense?

I do know what you mean however my answer is still the same, spend your time on your business, these people always have and most likely always will be around (in all industries) so let them get on with it, work hard and let your work speak for itself iykwim.

Am i making more sense?

I dont think its nessesarily the people who are money driven that dont care what the outcome of a treatment is. If anything its these people who want more clients, more work and therefore more money so it would make sense for them in a business sense to do a good job every single time.

x

I do know what you mean however my answer is still the same, spend your time on your business, these people always have and most likely always will be around (in all industries) so let them get on with it, work hard and let your work speak for itself iykwim.

What business? :lol:

This kinda goes back to a thread started by red the other day about avoiding burn out and about business not going too well. The reason i research the competition allot and think about other peoples beauty business is because im trying to see where they are going right and why do they have people flocking through the door for treatments, and why i havent? I do my best in my treatments and customer service and price but i still have hardly any clients and find it hard to get clients.

I dont know if it has anything to do with my area or not but from what i earn now lasts me 2 days and would never be able to run a home or keep a family :cry:

So perhaps this is the reason why i feel this way to those who just set up with no passion because i put my all into my business and spend every penny on education, products only to not have anything for myself it all goes into buying the high quality products for my clients and for me to have good education for my clients. But im not getting a penny from any of this. Do you understand where im coming from?xx

:lol: your'e not a moany old fart lol x I know what you mean ,
but I know who I would rather go to , I would go the one who gave me a good natural even tan ,
now whether he /she just wants the money I wouldnt have a clue :eek:
but as long as I got me a really good tan I would always return

The only reasons I wouldn't go to her /him is if they were giving me a bad tan and were rude and huffed and puffed as they were spraying me...
or leaving me in the middle of a treatment whilst they answered the phone ect

:lol: your'e not a moany old fart lol x I know what you mean ,
but I know who I would rather go to , I would go the one who gave me a good natural even tan ,
now whether he /she just wants the money I wouldnt have a clue :eek:
but as long as I got me a really good tan I would always return

The only reasons I wouldn't go to her /him is if they were giving me a bad tan and were rude and huffed and puffed as they were spraying me...
or leaving me in the middle of a treatment whilst they answered the phone ect

Yes im the same i will return to the one who gives me a good tan and good customer service :)

Yes this does happen all the time in our industry, just recently a friend of mine who is also a beauty therapist went for a job interview for a laser clinic, but the interview was conducted at a lawyers firm:eek: of course, they would be the only ones who could really afford these machines!!! As if they don't make enough money as it is, why not get in on the beauty industry as well :eek: oh well then, the rich get richer don't they.:)

After working in a spa for 4 years and then going to University to do business I have come full circle and want to head back into the beauty direction, but this time perhaps with more of a business head on my shoulders. I want to make money for obvious reasons but I am spurred on further at the thought of earning a good reputation and building up my own mini empire making people not only look good but feel great!

I think in the long run those who will last the distance will be those with genuine passion and I suppose everyone should be given the chance to try out there own thing or two despite their intentions as you never know where it might lead!

Chase the dream not the competition thats all I think x x x x x x

I have found that a few people along my travels have decided to "do what I do" as it appears to be stressfree, fun and make money.

I just make encouraging noises and nod enthusiastically.

I've been going out with a group of girls for 20 years now, one of them had an extremely high powered government funded job in the forces, she has happily milked the system for all she is worth, taken every benefit she could take, enjoyed the security of her job and now is ready at under 50 to take early retirement. She told me last time I met her, that she is now ready to launch herself as an holistic therapist. (s-l-a-p i-n t-h-e f-a-c-e).

I found that one VERY hard to smile and make encouraging noises at.

Then I realised, that people may like the idea of doing what i do, and I obviously make it look very easy and fun AND profitable. But, when it boils down to it, these people who "appear to jump on the bandwagon" soon realise that after paying for insurance, and advertising and room hire and overheads its not as profitable as they imagined.

I am now also seeing a rise of people who are becoming trainers, this is after attending a 10 week course and launching themselves to train the future therapists.

I am at present smiling and making encouraging noises and waiting for people to realise that again, its not as simple as people think it is.

also, i remind myself - that mimicary is the highest sign of flattery. So in conclusion, everyone wants to do what I do, and suddenly I'm fashionable.

Hippy that does sound like a hard situation for you and understand how you felt about your friend and not surprised that you couldn't be pleased i wouldn't have been!

But i may sound harsh when i say this i don't think she would ever make it as high as you have or be as good as you are with what you do, i haven't had treatment with you but i can just see by your website and they way you put yourself across that you are brilliant at what you do!

Hippy that does sound like a hard situation for you and understand how you felt about your friend and not surprised that you couldn't be pleased i wouldn't have been!

But i may sound harsh when i say this i don't think she would ever make it as high as you have or be as good as you are with what you do, i haven't had treatment with you but i can just see by your website and they way you put yourself across that you are brilliant at what you do!
ahhhh violet star, mwah! mwah! you truly are a sweetie xxx

I try and remind myself that people see how happy I am at what I do and want to a piece of the action.
the "friend" has just had her first baby (mid 40's) so I dont think she'll be much competition for a while.

I had a new student a few months ago who decided to set up a training academy, that was after less than 6 months in the industry!!!!

Latest posts

Back