People entering the beauty industry 'just for the money'?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ahhhh violet star, mwah! mwah! you truly are a sweetie xxx

I try and remind myself that people see how happy I am at what I do and want to a piece of the action.
the "friend" has just had her first baby (mid 40's) so I dont think she'll be much competition for a while.

I had a new student a few months ago who decided to set up a training academy, that was after less than 6 months in the industry!!!!

Your welcome hunni :green:

Well as for the new student i dont think this would work out! As you know already you have to make your mistakes first and get years of experience behind you before you can teach others :rolleyes:

Your doing great though hun! You have achieved so much and im sure your proud!:hug:

I think unless your VERY lucky people will always do their job for the money and if you love it that is a huge bonus!

I started in this industry 26 years ago because I loved it, yes, sometimes I really love my working day and somtimes, na, I just wanna have time to do the housework washing and stuff ( great !).

I think people think because your a hairdresser nail tech etc you should enjoy every minute ! When my friends hint this I always wonder if my accountant friend just loves to bring her numbers home or if my nurse friend would love to bring her bottom washing home, I think not !:)

Well... Do you know what? I don't think the problem in our industry is that people do it to make money. I think it is the opposite... If people had done this to make money, the prices had been MUCH higher.

I wouldn't say I went into the industry thinking I'd make mega bucks but there are certain services on the menu that I dislike doing and only offer them becuse they are good profit wise.

It doesn't mean that I don't do a good job but I certinaly would remove them off the menu if they wern't profitable.

I am passionate about the nail industry but I'm business, ulimatly, to make money and hopefully secure my future
:hug:

I think in any industry you will find people who don't have passion or drive but may do a job as it looks easy, glamorous or they think they can make a lot of money from it.

In my opinion the way to deal with this is to keep at the front of your mind what are the reasons that you are doing a particular job and always work hard to make it a success!

Well I am enjoying my 'mummy' time off - I still need to know about my industry - hence my little coffee break times on here.

BUT, I know no other - beauty, nails etc is my life.

If Tesco's paid more - there's NO way I would do that job.

I may sound sad but if I won the lottery tommorow and money was no object - after a few holidays and some cracking piss-ups - I would still do this job.

Its a passion, it makes me happy and it gives me a little cash - you can't gain that passion on doing a quicky course for extra money. Oh and I'm really quite good at it too. LOL.

And Hippy chick is an amazing holistic therapist and teacher. (just chucking a few more compliments your way ha ha.)

xxx

xx

What business? :lol:

This kinda goes back to a thread started by red the other day about avoiding burn out and about business not going too well. The reason i research the competition allot and think about other peoples beauty business is because im trying to see where they are going right and why do they have people flocking through the door for treatments, and why i havent? I do my best in my treatments and customer service and price but i still have hardly any clients and find it hard to get clients.

I dont know if it has anything to do with my area or not but from what i earn now lasts me 2 days and would never be able to run a home or keep a family :cry:

So perhaps this is the reason why i feel this way to those who just set up with no passion because i put my all into my business and spend every penny on education, products only to not have anything for myself it all goes into buying the high quality products for my clients and for me to have good education for my clients. But im not getting a penny from any of this. Do you understand where im coming from?xx

There are a number of things this thread brings up for me.
For one, maybe it's those who chase the money that make the money? Do they try harder b/c they want it more?

Sadly, I'm in a similar situation as you at the minute. Business has been quiet. I know of my competition, I've learned a thing or two about who is around me... 4odd nail bars offering only 1 type of nail application, but they have cheaper prices, faster service, no appointment necessary. One thing I've learned is 'what's going on for them makes very little different in my world'. I offer more than one application [and the rest!] & they butcher their customers (the horror stories I've heard & seen), yet they still get ample business while my business is still quiet.

It does bug me that I am more qualified than others out there yet they get more custom. I paid good money to get here... Yet I still believe there is a reason 'why' business is slow for me - there has to be a reason! I won't rest until I know what it is.
I guess all we can do it focus on ourselves & not let what is out there get us down. Future clients could maybe feel that 'down' vibe from us!

:green:

What business? :lol:

This kinda goes back to a thread started by red the other day about avoiding burn out and about business not going too well. The reason i research the competition allot and think about other peoples beauty business is because im trying to see where they are going right and why do they have people flocking through the door for treatments, and why i havent? I do my best in my treatments and customer service and price but i still have hardly any clients and find it hard to get clients.

I dont know if it has anything to do with my area or not but from what i earn now lasts me 2 days and would never be able to run a home or keep a family :cry:

So perhaps this is the reason why i feel this way to those who just set up with no passion because i put my all into my business and spend every penny on education, products only to not have anything for myself it all goes into buying the high quality products for my clients and for me to have good education for my clients. But im not getting a penny from any of this. Do you understand where im coming from?xx

Can't you offer some incentives for your regular clients? Like if they bring you new clients they get X amount off a treatment etc. Like said before, if you do a good job, and your customer service is good people will come back and recomend you to their friends/family. I think someone said word of mouth is your best tool, or some thing like that. Good customer service is essential too. Is it that you need more clients or that your not making enough money because of paying for training and products etc

Can't you offer some incentives for your regular clients? Like if they bring you new clients they get X amount off a treatment etc. Like said before, if you do a good job, and your customer service is good people will come back and recomend you to their friends/family. I think someone said word of mouth is your best tool, or some thing like that. Good customer service is essential too. Is it that you need more clients or that your not making enough money because of paying for training and products etc

I have been texting my client book every week i.e treatments half price or buy 1 get 1 free etc but only 1 or none take up o it.
I think i do have a good customer service i am very friendly, always able to answer their questions and concerns etc.
Im not making enough money from clients hence why i have no money, but i need to money for training and products :hug:

I don't have a problem with people going into beauty just for the money; as long as they do an excellent job. After all, we're not saving lives.

Some people are really hard up and hats off to them for trying anything that they can to look after their family.

Anyway, it's a proven fact that unless someone is good at what they do, they won't last five minutes. xxx

I have been texting my client book every week i.e treatments half price or buy 1 get 1 free etc but only 1 or none take up o it.
I think i do have a good customer service i am very friendly, always able to answer their questions and concerns etc.
Im not making enough money from clients hence why i have no money, but i need to money for training and products :hug:
Get out there and network - find new clients. You can't ever stop marketing your services.
Google "ladies business networking" and your area, see what comes back!

Get out there and network - find new clients. You can't ever stop marketing your services.
Google "ladies business networking" and your area, see what comes back!

Thanks calla will do that :hug:

I have spent the whole day on every website on the internet putting myself about and making sure people know about me, putting adverts on any website i possibly can! So hope that will work

set up a facebook group, a blogspot, myspace, bebo, twitter anything! You could send facebook invites to ALL of your friends on there, even the boys, get them to invite people, and those people to invite people, I'm sure you'll get there eventually:hug:

Thanks Lucyann,Yes ive had a FB group for a while never gained any clients through it though but hey its free xx

Why are you worrying about this when you haven't even started with your business?

If you have the attitude that you will be the best at what you do in your area, then you shouldn't even need to worry about it.

Why are you worrying about this when you haven't even started with your business?

If you have the attitude that you will be the best at what you do in your area, then you shouldn't even need to worry about it.

I have started with my business had same business for 2 years but had a huge break in 2008 and come back to it in Feb 09 and been trying to build myself back up since.

I have started with my business had same business for 2 years but had a huge break in 2008 and come back to it in Feb 09 and been trying to build myself back up since.
So how was your business going before you took your huge break, 2006-2008? Was it going well then?

3 months is no time to expect massive results in business.

So how was your business going before you took your huge break, 2006-2008? Was it going well then?

3 months is no time to expect massive results in business.

I took break between May 08-feb 09

But before i did this business was very good i was much busier with more regulars coming every week for tans. Since then i have more treatments to offer. When i started back up Feb 09 i text all my old clients but only managed to entice one of them back and she doesn't come that often shes too busy.

If anything I'm getting allot of cancellations like today i had appointment for nails and a tan and she cancelled on me but i rang her 10 minutes before she was supposed to be here and she then told me and didn't bother to ring me :mad:

Do you think maybe it could be my area? If I'm honest I'm not in the best of areas where people will spend, they want everything for next to nothing

I dont expect big results i just expect some kind of result lol

Personaly, I dont worry about the competion at all. In fact, Im good friends with a lot of them and just today had to send two clients to get their nails done at one local salon as I was unwell. (i even phoned and made the appointment for them) I think its good to have working relationships with local techs/therapists.
As been said, I am in this business to make money, and luckily, love what I do. I really dont think that there are many who only go into this job to make money. I think that there has to be a degree of passion at the start because of the long and ongoing training process, not to mention the money we spend on products/equipment and training. You are always going to have the one-day-course people, but do they really get good customer bases?
It may be more the case that people LOSE their passion? They dont tend to stay around too long when that happens.

Latest posts

Back