Ping Pong - Shming Shmong - mine's much better!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sarah haslam said:
Okay there have been a lot of peeps with hang ups lately (including myself) when posting in case they get "shot down in flames" so I think it's time to get back to having fun on this site lol! So with the theme running about ping-pong nails I'd like to tell you how I do my nails - very cheap cos most products can be found in your kitchen!

Begin with consultation - what are the best pubs in town

I start by sanitising - bit of bleach works wonders - you know the one that kills 99% of germs.

Then it's the cuticles, push back with a desert knife and cut liberally with kitchen scissors

prepare nail plate with sand paper - only a fine grit though, wouldn't want to do any damage.

apply tips (tips, tips what can I use for tips) Okay let's sculpt with tin foil cos I can't think what to use for tips.

Apply white toothpaste gel (well I'm a gel girl so you really didn't expect me to find a substitute for l&p did you!) to zone one, and then pink toothpaste gel (you could use blue for a special nail art effect) to zones 2 & 3 - not too thick mind wouldn't want them to look unnatural!

Cure in microwave for 3mins

Buff to a high shine!!!

Sell Flora oil as aftercare
Hope I haven't missed anything ...................... unless you know better!
I was right with you until you admitted gel...
Forever French is my calling, so I believe I'd use pre-tailored pistachio shells for the tips and light karo corn syrup for the overlay in zones 2 and 3. Back fills will be tricky, but the flour (cake flour would be best) will have to work.

Just one thing Sarah, I bin up all nite practising my toothpaste application in zone 3.
I hit a problem! Wot do I use to buff?:rolleyes: I know I'm a newbie n probably sound a bit silly.

Are you doing any workshops?
How much do they cost?
Will 3 bottles of wine cover it?
What do you use to soak off?

Sooooo many questions:)

Debz xxxx

I had a prob with soaking off so I now have one of those little cheese graters...hold the grater still, grit your teeth and rub nails up and down as fast as you can :biggrin:

p.s dont worry about any red sore bits on the nail after...they give a great ruby slipper effect but 'au naturel' :biggrin: p.s thanks for sharing guys...and it's always great to beable to give something back :biggrin:

Sarah - Excellent! Can you pleeeeeeeeaaaaaaase fit me in for an appointment? I need a set of those fab nails.

lmao , that is fab, and you can suck on em if you ever need a breath freshner :biggrin: , it would be fab after a night on the tiles, after having a dodgy kebab , just suck your nails

Well has an L&P girl who loves her nail art. I have been using the ready made tubes of icing loads of colours available and 3d work is a doodle :cool:

i find letting a nice bacterial infection grow gives a great dramatic nail art effect...it's permanent too if you take care of it, so the clients feel they are getting loads for their money :biggrin: try adding a nice glittermix for that truly personal effect or a diamante or two for the WOW factor!

Excellent stuff, bout time alot more humour was injected inhere. I love the techniques, but i was thinking about L&P. I reckon you could get the coloured sherbet and use syrup to mix it with, then when it sets, (have to put hands in the freezer for 1/2 hour, you can then suck at your fingers and enjoy a sweet treat, then do it all over again........lool.

I know i have too much time on my hands.

OMG been off for less than 24 hours and your imagination has run WILD. Glad to get us all laughing again - you've certainly brought a smile to my face! Okay trying to remember all the tips you've given me. Pistachio shells is a stroke of genius - think you're a grand master in the making, no more having to worry about "tinfoilfrazzle" in the microwave............ Love the icing nail art.......... Sorry but only 3 bottles of very good wine would cover training costs, or a case of cheap plonk!! ................ Oh shame on you who licks at the gel, how could you treat these masterpeices with such DISRESPECT - lol, bet you're one of those who wallops their nail and then says, I didn't do a thing, it just pinged off! ............ Any more questions or suggestions gratefully received .............. - oh yeah, the cheese grater - clever one, ............. and the geek with buffing probs, just use the sandpaper again and then switch to glass paper(honestly, some peeps have NOOOO imagination lol)!
Think we've all gone MAAAD - but loving it!
Sorry - no appointments left till Christmas, these are just so popular. Anyone want to start a franchise! Sassy Hassy's Shming Shmong Supernails! (Try saying that when you're drunk - in fact try saying it when you're sober!)

sarah haslam said:
yeah - could be the tin foil as well - never thought of that. Anyone know of a microwaveable tin foil - this is important - MY CAREER IS ON THE LINE HERE!
hey what if u use the plastic from the old tooth paste tubes, that bends! LOL

oh and are u remembering to wipe with your finishing wipe, mouth wash, i think the anteseptic one is best, personally, nice smell and no germs!

oh and for the l&p, hows about tile grout! nice and strong! oh and white, and now you can get so many colours, forget creative mosaic, hows about real mosaic, with bits of broken up tiles.

and heres the best bit, all your clients will be really getting a good work out carrying all that extra weight around on their fingers! They will have the strongest nails in the world!!!!!

Luckybird - YOU ARE A GENIUS.. I'm gonna have to keep my eye on you, or you'll be setting up in competition!!

God I just had a client return with lifting :rolleyes: I can't understand because I did the bleach nail prep has stated and really got rid of all the non living tissue( I find a brillo pad ideal for this).
Do you think it could be my nail glue ?
I don't think my flour and water glue was thick enough. Anyway I used a thick batter mix today ( That should keep the buggers on ) ;)

Lesley - hmm not sure if it's your glue - your prep sounds fine, really got that one sussed haven't you! Are you sticking to my gel technique or are you trying the l&p method - think you may have your ratio wrong! Don't work too wet! Can't remember who it was , but somoene suggested selotape to help stop lifting - try it, it's really effective and gives such a high gloss finish! My clients love it - they're so pleased i'm updating my skills all the time and offering the very latest high tech procedures!

Oh thanks for those helpful tips Sarah, I will try the sellotape method next time, Because my clients do like that high gloss finish :cool:

Being an avid learner I have found so much info here...............
I think double sided sticky back plastic is still the way to go and hey, have you thought of using grease proof paper for sulpting............. no frazzle in the micro wave........
Application technique is also so very important here........
I have just disovered a new system.................. very sweet looking and tasting nails, for those nibblers................
cut out form from grease proof paper, apply a nice coating of yes wait for it.......... royal icing............. you can get that in pink and in white...............
pinching the c-curve is a breeze ones you know how long it takes before this sets rock hard..................
No need to use a pasting brush, just apply it straight from the tube............ and to give it that nice gloosy look.................. apply a thin coating of beaten egg white................ then cure in Micro wave for 2 minutes wait for the ding and you will have nails that will be the sweetest you have ever seen and tasted.......

this is the way forward I think.....................

oooh Ruth - I knew you wouldn't be able to resist and go and have a little play in the kitchen!!lol You see I was waiting for one of you Master techs to see the light and join in!! Join in - I think you've developed a whole new technique lol. Mmmm, trouble is we'd all get too fat with your nails, and all have to go on Atkins! Or switch to the mosaic tile nails to help us shed those pounds!! I'll definitely give the greasproof a try - getting too fat eating all those pistachios, they're so moreish, got enough shells for 200 sets now!

Okay you Master Geekies - Ruth led the way, so how about sharing some of your wealth of experience with us, it's only in its infancy, so your advice could make it take the international market by storm - and make me RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICH ha ha ha

The one and only Antony Buckley and I are working on a super dooper competition formular............. all I will say it is top secret, top fab and well a a little tease it is a new dipping system............................ Icing sugar and well I am not telling you all........
You just have to watch this space for the lauch of our fab system...................

Latest posts

Back