It's back! Shming Shmong part deux!!! The revenge of the demon nails!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sassy Hassy

Reaction score
OKay as it's nail day today I thought I'd have a bit of fun and revive something that happened quite a while ago when there were only about 3000 members! Now we have over 9000!!! This is really to try and get some of you who don't have the confidence yet to post on tha main forum to come and join in the nailing world. It really is tongue in cheek and you can be whacky and as daft as you like. So I'll start as I did before and see how it ends up this time! (probably with me being banned lol!)

I'd like to tell you how I do my nails - very cheap cos most products can be found in your kitchen!

Begin with consultation - what are the best pubs in town

I start by sanitising - bit of bleach works wonders - you know the one that kills 99% of germs.

Then it's the cuticles, push back with a desert knife and cut liberally with kitchen scissors

prepare nail plate with sand paper - only a fine grit though, wouldn't want to do any damage.

apply tips (tips, tips what can I use for tips) Okay let's sculpt with tin foil cos I can't think what to use for tips.

Apply white toothpaste gel (well I'm a gel girl so you really didn't expect me to find a substitute for l&p did you!) to zone one, and then pink toothpaste gel (you could use blue for a special nail art effect) to zones 2 & 3 - not too thick mind wouldn't want them to look unnatural!

Cure in microwave for 3mins

Buff to a high shine!!!

Sell Flora oil as aftercare
Hope I haven't missed anything ...................... unless you know better!

oh Sass, I dont think you missed anything out at all, what a generous geek you are, to share your method with us, no wonder you nails are so highly regarded. can I please ask though, if you ever experience any lifting at all.

Lifting? What's that then hun?

You've got some great ideas there Sassy!

One way Ive found that's fantastic for soaking off old nails is to get your
pooch to gnaw on the clients nails for at least 5 mins and they just FALL off!!

Oh and always, always, get your kids to sit near the table and blow onto the clients nails to help the polish dry faster. That's a great tip, just make sure they are not eating chips at the time cos they get stuck into the polish. :irked:

if i am honest Sass i much prefer tipex for the whites and vaseline intensive care hand cream for the pinks, it works wonders you should try it?

lovenails1 said:
You've got some great ideas there Sassy!

One way Ive found that's fantastic for soaking off old nails is to get your
pooch to gnaw on the clients nails for at least 5 mins and they just FALL off!!

Oh and always, always, get your kids to sit near the table and blow onto the clients nails to help the polish dry faster. That's a great tip, just make sure they are not eating chips at the time cos they get stuck into the polish. :irked:

Way to go hun, I can see you'll go far in the NSS (natural shming shmong) world! I'm a gel girl and love the idea of my doggies gnawing it off, save on all that darned filing. And as for the drying polish technique, I guess if you have a eally narcky client then you can feed your kids curry, mmm nice smell!!!

Sassy Hassy said:
Lifting? What's that then hun?
oh god, you are obviously so brilliant that it never happens to you. do you find a good wipe over the clients hands with a dishcloth to be sufficient as a sanitiser.

jac extreme said:
do you find a good wipe over the clients hands with a dishcloth to be sufficient as a sanitiser.
i use Cillit Bang as my sanitiser :D

OOh Lissie my Vaseline stuff is yellow, so not very natural looking, unless I want the jaundiced look! Mind could get you a day off sick from work, so GOOD IDEA!

Jac, really I don't know what you mean by lifting? I know I do get a green tinge under the toothpaste sometimes, but I just thought this was great nail art!

ValencianNails said:
Wow yeah, all that grease and grime, one spray and BANG IT'S GONE. Sandi I can tell you really learned loads last time, welcome back to the think tank!

Sassy Hassy said:
OOh Lissie my Vaseline stuff is yellow, so not very natural looking, unless I want the jaundiced look! Mind could get you a day off sick from work, so GOOD IDEA!

Sass i think you need to throw your hand cream away its sounds like its gone off, but hey save yourself some money and why not retail it?

Also i find for the best shine is to spit on a hanky (you know like your nan does) and then rub over the nail..... very high shine!

That looks good there Sass,

I am a L&P girl myself so I love the look of baby powder - it smells lovely too - I add a drop of chilli powder to the white to make the pink (my daughter is watching me type and said "do you" LOL) - it is opaque so great for short nail beds. I use methys to get the purple tinge - it helps with reducing any colour change.

I only do L&P and the best I found so far is a mix of plain flour and water. To speed up the process of drying you can put your hands to the owen for few minutes.

ValencianNails said:
well, thats o.k if you work in a high end salon, but a tad expensive for us mere mortals. i find a very economical way of sanitising hands is to spit on the palms and wipe them down your jeans, obviously get the client to do the same, you wouldnt use your spit on the clients hands as that would be unhygienic.

I do find that Brillo Pads last longer than sandpaper for filing.....

And for Nail Art, I have the beautiful Writing Icing pens (from Asda), they come in a range of colours and are so versatile.

As an l+p girl I find you have to invest the time on your products - no corner cutting from me!!! A good scone mixture, or pastry actually for zone 1 works well - you can even cut your smile lines out with a cutter..... 5 minutes on 180 degress cures it well......

Thanks for sharing girlies......

Well as you know Im a nail art er, um, thingy but, as we all know its a waste of time buying those overpriced products at the shows, heres what I do...

Firstly I 'lay the table' to greet my client... yes I like my kitchen table to look as professional as poss so I cover with my best table cloth, the one with the tea pots on.
Next, I lay down my couch roll ... are you kidding... you seen the price of that stuff? ...nowt wrong with Tesco's own brand kitchen roll its very strong & very absorbent, plus that lovely red pattern on the sides goes nice with my egg cup dappen dish.
I lay out my l&p, yes Im a flour & water girl too, files like a dream with grade 2 from the shed. Red food colouring was just invented to create p&w dont you know ...Want your pink a bit pinker?... just add an extra 2 drops of food colouring.
Right now the good bit... the art!
First paint the nails using Airfix modelling paints (2 for 1 in Beatties right now).
4 hours later when dry & the client is snoozing nicely take your Stanely knife from your Bleach beaker and begin to etch & cut into the client's nail. Natural nails are breeze to do because theyre so lovely & thin but my flour & water nails dont pose much problem either. It only takes a few minutes to create a lovely 3D flower effect and any blood leakage just adds to the effect
Rub 2 pieces of sandpaper together above the clients hands to create a lovely sparkle effect on the flowers & youre done!

I Hand out a tonne of my business cards to the client, again easy to make... I just get little Johnny to do lines as punishment for something or other (breathing will do), but as Im resourceful I ensure the 'lines' are my business name ... Skanky Nails... such a lovely ring to it, dont you think ...also my phone number, then cut up into nice business card-size peices and my clients just love passing them around for me.
Gosh I love my job! right off to Beatties Im out of Airfix 'Jet Fighter' ...such a popular colour that one!

ValencianNails said:
Barry will be chuffed to bits to hear that!

Ive found the best product to use is cif cream...make sure you have plenty on the dish cloth and rub over each nail thoroughly, it dries to a lovely white chalk.
Cornflower mixed with a little water for the tips and for zone 2 & 3 add a little chilli sauce mix (you get a lovely shade of pink!
Green pan scourer for filing is a must! cuts the time by half.
If white tip is a little skewiff (wonky) no problem, tipex works great to make the line neater.
Coloured icing for all those 3D effects, clients marvel at the range of colours available.
And last but not least.....PVA glue to seal it all in, dries to a nice clear overlay!

I tell you, try it and you will have clients queing at your door :green:

BTW, you guys crack me up, ive never laughed as much:D

Oh COME ON!!!! Laydeez, please..... you will never increase confidence in the nail industry if you use inferior products. You will never find the type of products you need to create truley beautiful nails in the kitchen cupboards.
I will let you in on a trade secret known only to true professionals. FOCUS DO IT ALL
Stunning value!
adhesives, paints, and 2.5 litre tins of yacht varnish.... tough, high shine and boy does it last! Stanley blades, sandpaper, 5 gallon drums of acetone just pure value...the list is endless
All it takes is a little imagination.
AND YES, ITS COMPLETELY SAFE TO USE A DREMEL MULTI AS A ELECTRIC FILE!

Well i am too an l&p gal and i also fing clay being the best........here is my procedure

Bleach both you and your clients hands........

Remove all cuticle with anything that will cut....i prefer small garden shears as tehy are very very sharpe...........

Rough up th enail plate.....i fing sandpaper excellent

I would also sculpt so pop some card underneath the fee edge and drop a dollop of clay on the nail.......

pop in kiln for 10 mins untill rock solid

shape with a circular saw and then go down the grits with with sandpaper.........

makes it look like a really earthy and ORGANIC nail

Add dollops and dollops of asda prce cooking oil.........

to remove.........get a small toffee hammer....not an industrail one as you dont want to cause any damage....and gently smash off

Easy peasy

Amanda

Latest posts

Back