Problems with my application of gel top coat

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billymiff

Reaction score
Hi all
I've been on here asking about the top coat b4, I had advice from Gigi to finish with no less than a 180 grit and to scrub fresh, which i now do, but i'm finding it a bit patchy. I thougt mabe I wan't putting enough on so I applied a thicker coat which seemed to sort i out but I have just been reading that once you get used to applying it you shouldn't be getting extra bulk. Does anyone know whats going on!!!!

Thanks Guys x x

To be honest that is why i stopped using it, i love CND Brisa just dont like the uv get top coat as much, wish it had a thinner consistancy x
Posted via Mobile Device

I apply it very thinly around the margins and float a slightly thicker coat over the rest of the nail, I don't find it adds extra bulk HTH

To be honest that is why i stopped using it, i love CND Brisa just dont like the uv get top coat as much, wish it had a thinner consistancy x
Posted via Mobile Device

Ditto. its really a great product but there are other uv gel topcoats on the market that do have a few extra benefits in my opinion. i don´t like needing to whipe off the inhibition layer in the end + love it when the consistency is thinner. Like i said i think it performs nicely though, its just those two factors that made me stick with my previous top coat. i love brisa though!!! dont get me wrong

Ditto. its really a great product but there are other uv gel topcoats on the market that do have a few extra benefits in my opinion. i don´t like needing to whipe off the inhibition layer in the end + love it when the consistency is thinner. Like i said i think it performs nicely though, its just those two factors that made me stick with my previous top coat. i love brisa though!!! dont get me wrong

Which top coats would you recommend then?? I've had no exprience with any other system than CND
Thanks x

Thiis mystifies me .. I have never had a single problem with The Brisa finishing gloss ... not a single issue. It has never flaked, never been patchy, never looked bulky ... what can I be doing that is so different???

I've used several different gels in my time and have found the Brisa the best I have ever used.

You say in your post that you are not now having problems so what is your issue with it exactly?

I have had problems, but when I sat down and looked at it it was clear it was ME and not the finishing gloss.
When it's patchy, most of the time I found that eventhough I filed with a 180 file, I actually didn't. I didn't use a new one, so the grit would be higher because of the use. Solution: now I only use a new (well maybe used once or twice)
I could also tell when I or the client accidently had touched the nail or I had left some dust (not a lot) would look patchy too. Solution: Now I clean the surface extra carefully, and stress the client not to touch.
Sometimes I got a bulky look, and found that I hadn'd made the surface smooth enough, and you have to the gloss really shows of it you filing technique is a bit off, and mine has been (getting better though).
Now it almost goes on smoothly when aplying it thinly around edges and thicker on the rest as suggested. But sometimes I buff as I like the way you can buff seamlessly into nail.
HTH

Thiis mystifies me .. I have never had a single problem with The Brisa finishing gloss ... not a single issue. It has never flaked, never been patchy, never looked bulky ... what can I be doing that is so different???

I've used several different gels in my time and have found the Brisa the best I have ever used.

You say in your post that you are not now having problems so what is your issue with it exactly?

I am new to this and not a total pro hence the questions:) but putting it on thicker sorted it out but i'd just read on other posts that it didn't need to be applied thickly so just thought there must be some technique that I'm not doing...I am going to Edinburgh on Monday to the Minx day so I'll ask wee fee
Thank you x

I have had problems, but when I sat down and looked at it it was clear it was ME and not the finishing gloss.
When it's patchy, most of the time I found that eventhough I filed with a 180 file, I actually didn't. I didn't use a new one, so the grit would be higher because of the use. Solution: now I only use a new (well maybe used once or twice)
I could also tell when I or the client accidently had touched the nail or I had left some dust (not a lot) would look patchy too. Solution: Now I clean the surface extra carefully, and stress the client not to touch.
Sometimes I got a bulky look, and found that I hadn'd made the surface smooth enough, and you have to the gloss really shows of it you filing technique is a bit off, and mine has been (getting better though).
Now it almost goes on smoothly when aplying it thinly around edges and thicker on the rest as suggested. But sometimes I buff as I like the way you can buff seamlessly into nail.

Good point about the files grit i never though about that, I think I'm gonna scrubfresh each one right b4 I apply and see if that works
Thanks x x

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont use Brisa myself but i heard a trick about getting the gel thinner by placing the topcoat bottle on top of the uv-light while doing the nails.
I use Young Nails Finish myself. It really does not need any thinning but i do it when its almost empty to get absolutely everything from the bottle :hug:

Good point about the files grit i never though about that, I think I'm gonna scrubfresh each one right b4 I apply and see if that works
Thanks x x

There is no need to do nail by nail. Make sure the nail is not 'wet' with ScrubFresh .. it must be absolutely dry.

If you are not having any problems now, then I suggest you keep doing what you are doing. I don't apply Brisa gloss thickly ... but I don't apply it extra thin either. I apply it like any other protective top coat I apply it like Super Shiney.

Iam also having problems with the top coat, I bought a new one yesterday as my other was quite old and still I cannot get that beautiful shine that I know brisa can do. I am scrubfreshing before I put it on with a clean pad and using a clean one again after to remove the sticky layer and that's when it goes dull. Should I be beuffing the nail before I put it on even if the surface has no dips or bumps?

IMO the artof the finishing gloss is in the application.

To coat the margins, I wipe most of the gel from the brush and apply, re load the brush and make a generous coat, though not excessive, on the rest of the nail.

You always need to make sure that your bulbs are effective and that your prep for the finishing gloss is sound.

If you have refined the nail with a 180 and wiped clean with Scrubfresh, that is sufficient. If you have not refined it is OK to apply over the previous 'sticky' layer.

I have tried other finishing coats but none is as good, I feel

Thanks Adele, I eventually worked it out today that it is because I had not refined or left a sticky layer on the previous layer!

Latest posts

Back