Rag lost with Fake Bake. Moving on...

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gem81

Reaction score
Hi Everyone.

I don't know if you saw my last two posts ranting about Fake Bake and their customer service / out of stock essentials. Well in their defense a member of staff did get in touch and send out / lend me a free pop up tent to make up for the wait for the inflatable but this just can't go on really. What next?

Well I'm tentatively moving on after three years :eek:

I've sold my pod. Which I agree, really is an expensive clumpy gimmick. I've done a bit of research (all yesterday)! And bought myself a maximist. It looks good. First question is, is the pro gun a worthwhile upgrade for £150? It looks very flashy but does it really make that much difference to the finish of the tan?

Next (and most important) question is with the minefield that is tanning liquids. Fake Bake have conditioned me to believe that a tan containing erythrulose is the best option as the combination of sugars in the tan helps it to last longer. The naturasun 'dark and envious' was the only other solution I found containing this.

Also as I am going to be completely starting from scratch I need a good supplier with a sensible range of liquids, or at least I need to purchase a sensible range! After so many years with two options I'm finding the choice of 10+ mindboggling!

I'm going to ask for samples come monday however I'm swinging towards naturasun, tantrick (especially irganics) or OMG. I love the OMG scented liquid idea, and the options of booster drops. I saw that suntana do the scents but I was swung by the different DHA %'s in all of thr flavours with OMG. Also, I get the impression that the results are better with OMG.

After a days research I'm still not totally comfortable with my findings. I know the proof will be in the pudding however I could do with any words of wisdom in these areas!

Also, any links to good quality tents and kit bags would be much appreciated!

I use Sienna x and am really impressed with the kit and customer service. The lotion smells like coconuts and comes in 4 strengths. If you call them they can send a rep out to spray you and show you all the kit.

I use Sienna x and am really impressed with the kit and customer service. The lotion smells like coconuts and comes in 4 strengths. If you call them they can send a rep out to spray you and show you all the kit.

That sounds like good customer service! How refreshing to be a cutomer and feel like you're really valued - without having to kick up a stink first! :rolleyes:

I may well do that as I've heard a few good things about sienna x.

I moved from Fake Bake to Nouvatan..lovely natural brown colour..not goldy/orangey tones.The lotion sprays much better than FB and theres no stickyness either! The solution is British made so is always fresh too! I personally think the length a tan lasts is due to prep of skin, aftercare and peoples types of skin..dont think erythrolose has much to do with it really. The customer service at Nouvatan is truly brilliant and they are very helpful people with any questions you may have.Delivery is usually next day if ordered before lunchtime, and no, I dont think the gun upgrade is worth the money tbh..theres a thread about it being much heavier etc..try the search mode and have a looky see.hope this helps..and good luck..you wont look back!

I love tantrick solutions especially the organic range and customer service from Wow factor is fantastic!!

Yeah I've seen a couple of posts by people who have been blown away by the organics stuff. It's just that I'm completely mind boggled by all the solutions available on that site. I don't really know where to start. Would it be appropriate to get a lower % and use the booster drops for a darker shade rather than buy the whole range to start with?

These are the solutions I have tried out in the last 3 months and my personal opinion on them:

Sudo: couldnt see the guide colour when spraying, and finished result not very dark, develops slighty over night but a very very natural sunkissed tan, delivery super quick.

Suntana: I got my kit from here too , super quick delivery, guide colour pretty dark, finished colour ok although again the darkest chocolate 12% product isnt as dark as some- doesnt fade too great. And takes a while to dry. Also dont like that they sell on ebay.

Nouvatan: Tried 8 and 12 % love love love it, not too dark guide colour but fabulous finish, fades well, dries quickly, quick delivery and the most helpful, lovely people I have spoken to in the tanning world.

Xen: I used this in my training and also got a sample to try on my own- dont like the guide colour looks kinda dirty on the skin, tan when developed a cold looking tan not warm and didnt fade very well bit patchy.

Puri-Tan: Loved this product and the fade but their customer service and delivery time leaves alot to be desired.

Sun Lab: Great for a dark tan but dont like how theres only 2 shades- not sure about delivery as I picked this up at my local wholesalers

La Tan:guide colour quite dark, found finished tan a little orangy, fast delivery good colour range, took a while to dry.

Sienna x: Great customer service and delivery time, although Im not a fan of the product I feel it leaves and orange tinge and fades of really patchy (but alot of people on here absolutly love it)

Still waiting on samples from OMG, Tantricks Oragnic

These are just my views on the samples Ive recieved

HTH xx

These are the solutions I have tried out in the last 3 months and my personal opinion on them:

Sudo: couldnt see the guide colour when spraying, and finished result not very dark, develops slighty over night but a very very natural sunkissed tan, delivery super quick.

Suntana: I got my kit from here too , super quick delivery, guide colour pretty dark, finished colour ok although again the darkest chocolate 12% product isnt as dark as some- doesnt fade too great. And takes a while to dry. Also dont like that they sell on ebay.

Nouvatan: Tried 8 and 12 % love love love it, not too dark guide colour but fabulous finish, fades well, dries quickly, quick delivery and the most helpful, lovely people I have spoken to in the tanning world.

Xen: I used this in my training and also got a sample to try on my own- dont like the guide colour looks kinda dirty on the skin, tan when developed a cold looking tan not warm and didnt fade very well bit patchy.

Puri-Tan: Loved this product and the fade but their customer service and delivery time leaves alot to be desired.

Sun Lab: Great for a dark tan but dont like how theres only 2 shades- not sure about delivery as I picked this up at my local wholesalers

La Tan:guide colour quite dark, found finished tan a little orangy, fast delivery good colour range, took a while to dry.

Sienna x: Great customer service and delivery time, although Im not a fan of the product I feel it leaves and orange tinge and fades of really patchy (but alot of people on here absolutly love it)

Still waiting on samples from OMG, Tantricks Oragnic

These are just my views on the samples Ive recieved

HTH xx

Wow, thanks so much for taking the time out to write such a brill review. I've just ordered my Nouvatan samples. Can't wait to recieve them now!!

I use OMG with no complaints and I love it, have also used the tantricks samples that I got and loved them too.. I am using OMG as I have the litre solutions already, but I would say I couldn't really choose between the two, I liked them both and, more importantly, the people I attacked with these products, liked them also and got the best results, as in nice, even tan and even fading without going patchy.

Get yourself some samples and some guinea pigs who will give you genuine feedback to practice on - good luck hun x

I use SunJunkie. Excellent product and customer service. I dont think theyre massive, so look after their customers!

Nouvatan .......fab product and great service!

As for solutions to stock I usually opt for a 8, 10 and 12 - at the monent 10 is my most popular so when I run out i just mix 8 and 12 then buy all 3 again so I always have 3 colour choices available I also have another brand which I use for anyone wanting a really dark colour but alot of companies now have 14, 16, 18 or 20 % and some come in smaller sized bottles so if u only have a few people wanting a darker colour you could just buy a 500ml bottle of a higher %

Hi
I have tried out loads of solutions over the last few months and have finally settled on LA Tan.

It has erythrulose in it comes in 8%, 10% ,12%, 14% and 18% they also sell booster drops and have fantastic deals on solution & kits.

At the moment there is a free tent with 2 litres of solition or 4 litres of solution for slightly more money.
FREE Skylight Pop-Up Spray Tan Booth - LA Tanning | Spray Tanning Solutions, Spray Tanning
FREE Skylight Pop-Up Spray Tan Booth - LA Tanning | Spray Tanning Solutions, Spray Tanning

I just ordered my solution delivery was next day, I had some free aftercare leaflets with my order and all corespondance has been wonderfull.

I find it has a nice guide colour (enough for me to be able to turn my gun down and only use approx 40ml per tan - was using up to 75ml with previous solutions), my clients have said their skin feels dry almost straight away after it and they all love the colour, No-one has said it looks orange, they all think it is a beautifull natural brown tan.

I've tried:
Sienna X - found the wear off patchy and an orange undertone.
Suntanna - didnt seem to have as dark a tan as other tan of same %.
Nouvatan - my clients prefered LA Tan -nothing bad to say abut it though.
Sunless solutions - tans seemed too light for each % my clients were disapointed.
Vita Liberata - nice tan but too expensive for me as there are loads of tanning competitors in my area.

There were more but I cant remember off the top f my head.

The only way you can choose a solution is to try it out and see what you like and dislike about each of them. We all like different things from our solutions and their providers so it will be a decission only you can make at the end of the day.

I hope you find a solution you love really soon and it makes your clients happier than they were with Fake Bake. Good luck. x

I had used LaTan for a long time, but I got so fed up with disappointed clients saying that after they wash they tan off the next day it was much lighter than expected. Latan have a double dip bronzer so it is really much darker than the tan itself, plus I always found it quite sticky.
NOW...I use NOUVATAN and all my clients totally love this one, such a nice brown colour without being OTT. It dries really well no sticky and hardly any smell. customer service is second to none. I have spray 15 clients this week with it and even has oe ring me up saying how much they loved this one compared to the other one I was using..so proof is in the pudding .... x

I have used tatrick then moved onto sienna x and currently use A-tan which I am very impressed with! I am sampling OMG at the moment and so far so good with that one too. I did try nouvatan but I didn't like the fade off, loved the initial colour though, best one I've tried! Makes me wonder if its cos hubby sprays me that it maybe faded worse? He's not a professional lol... he's sprayed me with A-tan and legs look a bit horrible this time too..... might have to try it again I think.... :)
Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

I too sampled loads when I first started. You have to find a solution that works for you. Here are the ones that I tried that I can remember!

St.Tropez- found the guide colour too dark and the developed colour too orange

Fake Bake-Looks like you haven't had a wash, only a choice of 2 solutions and lasts about 3 days

Siennasol- very orange but admittedly I only sampled the 16% which is specifically designed for dancers

Tantrick- colour was ok but faded very patchy

Suntana- colour quite nice but the solutions have strong smells. One is cherries and the smell of cherries makes me heave-lol. Only had a choice of 3 solutions

Sienna X- colour not too bad but rather light

LA Tan- Double dipped solutions which are too dark. Doesn't fade too well and doesn't last very long

Couture- Really nice colour. I liked this solution but it was the most expensive one I sampled and it only comes in a choice of 2 solutions

Nouvatan- Great guide colour, great fade, lasts 7-10 days, pleasant smell and comes in a choice of 5 solutions. Customer service is second to none and it's a very reasonable price. Ticked all my boxes and all my clients love it. I've never advertised my spray tanning and all my clients have come from word of mouth. I have over 500 clients on my books just for spray tanning alone. This tan sells itself!

I find fakebake lasts up to 10 days for some clients, I did a party a week ago and saw some clients last night who were still tanned! And very happy! Only down fall is it's not great on hands, although that's prob me! I have some clients that don't suit fakebake and will only have st tropez (which I don't do yet) and some that will only have fakebake! I guess everyone is different and u just have to go with the majority!

Nouvatan for me too, I stock the 8 and the 10 and am about to buy the boost drops for those who want darker, I can only echo everyone elses comments, great company, great people, product sells itself.

Thanks all for your comments. Very much appreciated. I'm looking forward to receiving my Nouvatan samples more than my organics ones now I think. Can't wait to try them out. Thanks alot! I just don't quite know what to do about guinea pigs as I really want to be able to see the results daily! One of the issues everyone faces I'm sure. I'm going to offer my guinea pigs free tans on the basis they call me every day / every other day and let me know how things are going I think.

Thanks again everyone!

Those of you that love nouvatan, do you find the solutions darker than equivalent % of other brands? I only ask as I usually have a 10% and when I sampled nouvatan I remember it being darker than I was used to, a proper nutty brown, and although I loved the colour on me it put me off as it started to fade, I wonder if maybe I would have preferred the 8 and maybe it would have faded nicer on me?

If you have changed to nouvatan from a different brand do you still use the same % on yourself/clients and do you find it develops darker?

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

Latest posts

Back