'Rival' Nail Tech intent on killing my business

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Metamorfosis

Gel Polish Stylist of the Year 2016
Reaction score
Just looking for some advice on what to do - there is a girl in my area who has just qualified to 'do nails' as she calls it. She is mobile, walks to all appointments, only takes the things she wants to do (usually blue or pink tips only - which for a friends mum who is nearly 50 and wanted natural looking nails was a huge disappointment).

Her nails literally peel off after a few hours, and even if they don't they are bulky, wonky, smile lines starting very low down etc - basically not very good. People comlain that she smells and her tools are dirty, and she is uninsured to top it off.

She charges ridiculously low prices (e.g. £20 for full set and 'luxury' pedi, or 2 full sets for £25) which is why a lot of people are tyring her out. Quite a few of these people have then come to me wanting better nail enhancements, and she has realised this and is now actively trying to damage my business - telling people all sorts of horror stories that are simply untrue, and also sending friend requests on Facebook to my clients offering them cheap deals if they will let her do their nails. I do not see her as competition as I know that the quality of her work is extremely poor, but she clearly sees me as a threat to her 'business' which I believe is on the side cash only while she is claiming benefits.

I am at a total loss with what to do - I have had several cancellations in the last fortnight which is not normal for me - and then I see that the people who have cancelled are booked in with her on Facebook. I don't particularly want to retaliate as that's not in my nature - like I said I don't see her as competition as people rarely return to her a second time, but it's the fact that she is openly attempting to damage my business and seems to be succeeding!

Any ideas?

I think that if this woman is as bad as you say she is then they will only go to her once! Your clients will be back before you know it and they will be a little more grateful that they have you and not her. Keep your chin up & keep acting professional. Having said that, if she is being openly slanderous contact the C.A.B and a solicitor and see what you can do? Xx

I do not see her as competition as I know that the quality of her work is extremely poor, but she clearly sees me as a threat to her 'business' which I believe is on the side cash only while she is claiming benefits.

You answered your own question, my love. She ISN'T competition for you. Her work is extremely poor. Yours is quality and quality always wins. Take the high road always. Even if a client "detours," it will only be temporary. Her horrible work will send clients right back where they should be...right back to you.

Hang in there, Kitten.

Thanks for the speedy reply! She is openly slanderous on Facebook - then deletes comments after a few hours - but by then the damage is already done, you cannot unring a bell as they say! I have only had one of my clients try her out, she booked again as a last resort as my daughter was ill - she then tried to cancel her appointment as my daughter was better and was threatened verbally over the phone, and threatened with debt collection agencies if she didn't pay the full treatment amount as a cancellation charge. Needless to say the poor girl was in tears! Luckily most of my clients are not daft enough to try her out - I like to educate them as I work so they know what not to accept if they ever go elsewhere!

The other thing I'm annoyed about is the fact that she does not have a proper business - not paying tax and NI contributions, uninsured, and clearly committing benefit fraud. I work hard to build up my business and do it the right way just for her to try and tear it down :(

I know clients will be back to me in no time - it's potential clients who are put off by her horror stories. I usually get several new enquiries a week - since she started her campaign against me I've had very few :(

I think that if this woman is as bad as you say she is then they will only go to her once! Your clients will be back before you know it and they will be a little more grateful that they have you and not her. Keep your chin up & keep acting professional. Having said that, if she is being openly slanderous contact the C.A.B and a solicitor and see what you can do? Xx

I agree and like you have already said, people will try her out as she is cheap but they will soon realise 'you get what you pay for'!! They'll also steer clear from her when they realise, which they will, that she is spreading rumors in an attempt to steal your business.

Keep your chin up, stay professional and before you know it these customers will be back.

:)

I agree with all the above posts. If her work really is that bad clients will come straight to you so you should feel good about that.

Personally I would report her to Facebook. Take some screen rings of her nasty comments so if she deletes them you have proof. Take photos of her crappy work if you get someone come to you to fix them! And to top it all off report her to the benefit people! I'm sorry but I have no sympathy for people who abuse the benefit system and if I knew someone was doing it I would report them. They won't tell her who has reported her and they are incredibly clever with the way they go about it.

I meant Screen shots! Lol

Yeh just report her to the benefits agency! Job sorted!

I've had similar , and I know alot of others here have to.
Is the " don't get mad get even" strategy worth it?
I mean temporarily you might feel good but what about when the job center offer her free training, and a grant for her kit?

We all start some where with rubbish nails that lift , so What about once she gets practice and gets good?

What if she learns to be a professional,

Or she may just fade away like sooo many wanna bees do ,

Either way here is my advice to you ;

Remain poised and profetional at all times especially with clients ,

If a " client is at your desk telling you about what she said the 1) there a gossip with not much going on and want your response ,
Or 2) they have been to her wear not happy and are now trying you,

DO NOT ENGAGE , as much as you want to here it ( I know the inner part of us that dose )
Don't. Just say something like " as a professional I cannot comment"

The client maybe frustrated but most good people will think about it and realise you did not get into the gossip.
And more importantly by doing this you draw a pro & mate line and give your client the signal that your faith in your work is stronger and by not talking you dont feed the gossip or the situation,
Let your work do the talking .

Constantly Remind your self
" everybody has nails most have 20"
They all need there nails done don't get into a price war and don't panic,

Utilize Facebook with photos and comments from clients ,

Keep your name out there ,

And use your anger in the situation to Continue with your education And build loyal client base so you don't even need to watch or notice the wannabes ,

I agree with Mizzy and make sure your clients see your certificates including your insurance cert (I have mine framed and on the wall - or photocopy them and put them in a folder if you are mobile as well). Good luck x

Myself & my friend who is a nail tech are having exactly the same problem with some one she added both of us on face book then added all of our active clients & then msgs them ti say we are unqualified she can do it better & cheaper!!! Its really annoying but on the flip side people are going to her then saying on Facebook what a crap job she is doing & how they are glad to of come to us to get a friendly & professional service with fantastic results!!!
If you have proof of the slander against you a simple chat with her to say if it carries on you will seek legal advice & will take her to court for the slander!!

Thanks very much for all the help - I agree with pretty much everything you've said. I imagine she will fade away, I am still continuing with my education but this girl is of the opinion that she's qualified and knows it all so I can't see her getting any better! As for the benefit reporting, I don't have enough information, she is very secretive and refuses to tell people anything about herself, nobody knows her surname or where she lives so that one is out unfortunately it's too easy to get away with benefit fraud in this country!

Thanks very much for all the help - I agree with pretty much everything you've said. I imagine she will fade away, I am still continuing with my education but this girl is of the opinion that she's qualified and knows it all so I can't see her getting any better! As for the benefit reporting, I don't have enough information, she is very secretive and refuses to tell people anything about herself, nobody knows her surname or where she lives so that one is out unfortunately it's too easy to get away with benefit fraud in this country!

Just ring the benefit cheat report line and give them everything you do have, her business details, facebook account etc.. and they will investigate her from there, they will find out her surname, address etc.. & follow her take photo's of her going to & from work and will investigate her bank accounts for spending on products etc.. they will make a case. She won't get away with it if you report her. It may take some time for them to get all they need but the will look into it if she is reported.

Yeah wanna be's do fade away, however, if it is affecting you as she is directly saying bad things about you, report her for benefit fraud even if you only suspect, they will take your complaint seriously as will HMRC, go for it hun, you have nothing too loose. Im suprised she isnt keeping her head down tbh! madness. Factors will always affect your bookings over time, but you will bounce back if your good quality and consistant.

No worries ok! x

She will fizzle out, simple as that and your clients will be less inclined to try the next joker that comes along. There is a world of competition out there, some fair and some not but you will have to deal with it.

Concentrate on building proper customer loyalty, do your best job each and every time and make them feel as if they would be disloyal to you if they even tried anyone else. I have a had it happen in the past and when they come back I do mention it to them, find out why they tried the other and then decide if there is anything I could have done to prevent them moving. Through this I have built a good, strong client base who have even endured me being missing for 2 x 3 month spells of being off in the last year with 2 back surgeries. They have all returned to me, even though some had been elsewhere in the periods I had off work. The second time there were a lot who just waited for me to come back.

It is a very fine balancing act my darling but I wouldn't even take the time to worry about this silly mare! :D

She will fizzle out, simple as that and your clients will be less inclined to try the next joker that comes along. There is a world of competition out there, some fair and some not but you will have to deal with it.

Concentrate on building proper customer loyalty, do your best job each and every time and make them feel as if they would be disloyal to you if they even tried anyone else. I have a had it happen in the past and when they come back I do mention it to them, find out why they tried the other and then decide if there is anything I could have done to prevent them moving. Through this I have built a good, strong client base who have even endured me being missing for 2 x 3 month spells of being off in the last year with 2 back surgeries. They have all returned to me, even though some had been elsewhere in the periods I had off work. The second time there were a lot who just waited for me to come back.

It is a very fine balancing act my darling but I wouldn't even take the time to worry about this silly mare! :D

Hi .. some good advice above..

There will always be a nail tech offering something for less around, and people will more than often go to them.. some may be good some maybe totally awful like this "rival".. Keep your professionalism up and they will soon come back..

keep up your professional mannerisms to, if they are getting abuse etc or a less of a service they will soon go somewhere else.. again back to you..

i have had clients come to me who say,, i used to go to this girl but she done this and done that and i wasnt happy with the outcome.. i generally sit and listen and try not to come back with derogatory comments about the other nail tech etc.. makes you look the much better person...

I have also had clients that have come to me from discount nail bars, had their nails ruined in the past blah blah and i have done my work and they have been so happy with them etc.. upon calling them for their infills, they cancel and i find out they have gone back to the bars to be ruined all over again.. because they are cheaper.. grrrrrrrrrrrr so it is swings and roundabouts in this business

i am not saying that all nail techs that offers cheap treatments are bad nail techs, but if this "rival" is as bad as what is being said then she will not be in business too long.. i woudlnt worry.. just concentrate on you and yours and make it the best you can, dont waster energy from your goal because of her..

all the best

Sarah x

I usually get several new enquiries a week - since she started her campaign against me I've had very few :(

I'd put that down to the time of year rather than her attempts, August is always my quietest month and has been for the last 7 years I've been a Nail Tech, it's all about the school holidays and summer getaways. Especially in the current economical climate not many of us have spare cash to treat ourselves

If she is saying things bad enough to damage your reputation, get screen shots and threaten her with legal action. That usually shuts them up.

Good post Mizzy, let your work speak for itself :D those that stray will be back ;) X

Latest posts

Back