rottweilers, are they dangerous??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
After about half an hour the ball got kicked onto our front green,one of the lads came tearing towards my hubby and me,to get his ball and Sheba thought he was coming for us,so bit him on the bum.

Thankfully he was okay,no skin broken but he did have a bruise just under his buttock.

Ah honey my oldest collie is just like this, she's nipped a few of my guy friends on the bum as they've come towards me, always looked very apologetic afterwards as though she didn't really want to, but hey! they were coming towards her Mum and she wasn't quite sure of their intentions!

Again, like your situation, never broken the skin, just a small blood blister.

There's a difference between a warning nip and biting and not letting go! Don't worry about it and rest assured in the fact that Sheba loves you very much :green:

Not read all of this but IMO animals are animals and although they may be well trained, you just can't trust them.

I have 2 dogs myself and never did I leave them alone with a baby and still I won't leave them in a room alone with my 4 and 5 year olds, although I do let my 9 year old and his mate take them for walks.

Ah honey my oldest collie is just like this, she's nipped a few of my guy friends on the bum as they've come towards me, always looked very apologetic afterwards as though she didn't really want to, but hey! they were coming towards her Mum and she wasn't quite sure of their intentions!

Again, like your situation, never broken the skin, just a small blood blister.

There's a difference between a warning nip and biting and not letting go! Don't worry about it and rest assured in the fact that Sheba loves you very much :green:
Thanks hun:hug:

I am sorry but I am UPSET in reading this post!!
What kind of LIFE do you 'beloved babies' have??? :rolleyes:

I understand that you are airing caution, but something must have happened to make you suspect that they would probably bite a human.
Cant you just get them used to muzzles and let them live around humans? OUT OF THE CAGE???

I know Japanese Akita's have a reputation for being viscious, but you havent even given them a chance to be nice in my opinion.

I would NEVER lock any domestic animal up to live in a cage LET ALONE a DOG!!!!
(except my hamsters, but even then they live in huge chipmunks cages that are just sooo big)

You say that they are 100% secure and you are being careful etc..
But by locking them up you are admitting that you dont trust them!

NO OFFENSE but IMO any pet dog that cannot live happily along side humans, or cannot be trusted, should not be on this earth. FULLSTOP.

Living in cages... thats NO life. I'm sorry.

I am an avid animal lover and it saddens me just how some people treat their animals.:cry:

Fair enough... just found your reply.

The reason they started to fight is because of the frustration in being contained and have no attention when you are watching the tv nice and warm.. inside the house..they will take it out on eachother.
.. still.... I am so saddened that they are OUTSIDE. They wouldnt be fighting if they were laid infront of the fire in the lounge with the family.

What about in winter??? Fur Coat or not... thats just CRUEL IMO. Sorry.
My rabbits arent in a hutch outside cos I felt gulity. I think the brand new hutch that we bought when we got them.. lasted a week before they were brought inside to live with the rest of the family!! Dogs and all... we all live in harmony. :)

and by the way.... dont take offense. Its not an attck just my opinion. xxx
Ive not took offence and i understand what you are saying, i do trust my dogs but my neighbours dont and they always have grandchildren at theres and they do try to torment my dogs if given a chance but im usually straight out of the door (to put a flea in the kids ear) or already out there as i do spend loads of time with them playing etc, and i had every concern that you do about them been bored and cold that is why i payed my vet to assess the way i kept them he said they have more than enough room,more toys than some kids have,and if you could see them you would understand why they dont get cold,there coats are so dense that no matter how much you try to seperate the fur you can not get to or see there skin and to top it off it is much healthier for a dog to live outside,the chemicals in everyday things that we use in homes ie bleach,polish,air freshners,smoking etc can all shorten the life span of dogs, before i had these two i used to have alsatians that i kept in the house 4 in total, not at the same time but they all died young 2,3,5 and 7 where the 2 i have outside are now 5yrs and almost 11yrs my 11yrs one i rescued from the owner who was going to have her put down because his wife wouldnt see to her and he was away alot,she lived outside then so she has lived outside all that time and (touch wood) never been ill, i hope this puts your mind at rest,i do love them dearly to the point of i havent ever been on holiday since been an adult as i would miss them too much, i do get the oppertunity my bf is in las vegas as we speak but i would rather stay home with my babies if anyone is neglected it is my bf, thanks for your concerns:hug:

I hear what you are saying but when did a Golden Retriever ever savagely attack a child?
just because you havent heard about it ,or it hasnt been in every newspaper ...doesnt mean it doesnt happen :rolleyes:
==========================================================
and thankyou for the link to the deed not breed link just reading it now :hug:
==========================================================
also to the person who said about their dog gently nudging the kitten out of the way while eating .....my (almost 8stone) rottie allows my 4 month old kitten to eat his dinner with him ...which is so funny because she could use his food bowl for a bed lol :green: (i do stop this btw as rottie food is not good for 4 month old kitties)
when he is asleep she will creep up ,curl her body around his nose and nibble/play with him ...what does he do ...does a big snore in her face lol ,she persists untill he wakes up and licks her for a few minutes ...they both seem to enjoy this moment together !!!

Originally Posted by Fab Freak
I hear what you are saying but when did a Golden Retriever ever savagely attack a child?

I was not savagely attacked, but I was bitten, in the face.
His upper jaw was along my right side of my face and his lower jar along my left. I got stitches for it, though luckily didn't scar (or at least, I can't see them).
I mentioned this earlier in the thread.
Breed is not indicative.

Ahh Emma, thats so sweet, I am sure your rottie is just having a little taste ready for when he has the kitten for dinner later. lol

Ahh Emma, thats so sweet, I am sure your rottie is just having a little taste ready for when he has the kittenfor dinner later. lol

lmao Jac ... you cynic you

Hmm really, well how often do you see a retriever used as a guard dog, rottweilers and other similer dogs have that reputation for a reason and recent events prove it! its not the media reporting that makes people belive it, its the way it is.

Sorry haven't had chance to read this all yet but Staffies are useless guard dogs-they are the soppiest dogs in the world and would let anyone walk in or out of the house as long as they got a stroke out of it!
They are bred to be loyal to humans and they are actually supposed to be the best dogs to have around children because of their nature-much less likely to attack than a golden retriever or a lab for example.
Its generally only when staffies are cross bred that they turn nasty as they lose the loyalty gene that was bred into them
I have a staffy and she is the soppiest thing in the world-BUT-i still would never leave her alone with my child or anyone elses-because no matter how much u think u trust a dog-they are still animals and u can't see whats going on inside their heads
But on the whole Staffies are misunderstood because they look so similar to pit bulls.
Thats my 2 pence worth anyway!
:hug: xxxxx

In light of all the press about dogs attacking people, mainly about the baby who was dragged out of her cot in the pub. I wouldnt have taken a child with me if the dogs were not familiar with her/him. THe dogs were there for the purpose of guard dogs not pets. Im suprised also by the amount of children that have been attacked since, are parents not using the press as warning signs for them to be extra vigulant with their children around dogs not known to them, likewise to the owners whose responsibility they are? Rant over

Staffies are wonderful natured dogs.. they really are.. I love them!

Ahh Emma, thats so sweet, I am sure your rottie is just having a little taste ready for when he has the kitten for dinner later. lol
:green: could be right jac !!! lol
if anything though i think the kitten would have a good go at eating the dog ..shes flippin mental ..
me and wayne were talking this morning ,as he picked the kitten up to put her on the worktop..to get out of the window ...she cant manage it yet she tries..but doesnt quite get to the top and just slides down the cubbord door :green: the kitten miowed at him ..and he sh!t himself hahaha .

we were saying how we are more afraid of the cats than dogs as they can be looking at you all sweet one minute but you know they are capable of scratching your eyes out lol
our kitten is a little pysco..if shes on the couch and you walk passed ,she litrally dives at you and clings on to your leg..scary little moo she is !
she lies there while max licks her like lady muck..max is scared of all other cats exept mitzie(kitten) as my two older ones took a dislike to hime the day we got him ,they spat at him and one scratched his little nose ..hes mentally scarred for life lol

Hi,

This is an extract from the article on the BBC web page:

Neighbour Amy Grimbley said: "The dogs are known to be vicious. They stay on the roof during the day and whenever you walk past, you get the feeling they could jump down and attack you.

"The dogs are very aggressive. Everybody around here is petrified of them."
She added: "There's a school opposite the pub and nobody is happy walking their kids past the pub after school. I've got a three-year-old and I don't feel at all safe walking past them."

BBC NEWS | England | Leicestershire | Baby dies after Rottweiler attack

Now, this might seem like a silly question, but surely the parents of this child where aware of the nature of these dogs. They were trained to be GUARD DOGS and not pets. How stupid where the parents to leave this child unattended ?? (I do not apologise for making this statement).

Secondly, what sort of person keeps dogs on the roof of a pub ?? In my opinion that is abuse towards the animal, whether they are guard dogs or not ! I can only imagine how the owners treated these dogs.

And then people wonder why the dogs did what they did. It all boils down to what I said in my earlier post, it is not the dogs fault, but how they were trained to be.

Even more so, I think it is also the parents fault for being so irresponsible for leaving the child unattended in the presence of these dogs that are known to be aggressive and then turn around and blame the dogs.

People should read the facts before they just go and tar all dogs with the same brush.

Marlise

really good piece in the sun today about this..written by Fergus Shanahan....

You wouldn't keep a lion in a house with children...why does nature give these dogs teeth like carving knives and jaws like iron vices..? Nobody expects a shark to behave like a dolphin...when a shark eats a swimmer, we say its horrifying but accept that the shark is just doing what sharks do....when a dog of this bread kills a baby/child it is just doing what is does...it doesn't mean the dog is evil or nasty..its just doing what they where made to do. Its absurd to think you can train a dog like this to be a safe, child friendly pet....could you train a fox to live with baby chickens..?

These dogs shouldn't be banned but locked up in a zoo...

Have to say i agree with him...x

You wouldn't keep a lion in a house with children...why does nature give these dogs teeth like carving knives and jaws like iron vices..? Nobody expects a shark to behave like a dolphin...when a shark eats a swimmer, we say its horrifying but accept that the shark is just doing what sharks do....when a dog of this bread kills a baby/child it is just doing what is does...it doesn't mean the dog is evil or nasty..its just doing what they where made to do. Its absurd to think you can train a dog like this to be a safe, child friendly pet....could you train a fox to live with baby chickens..?

Hi Angie,

Wouldn't that apply to all dogs then ? As far as I know, all dogs have K9's and they were all given them for the same reason ......

Marlise

Hi Angie,

Wouldn't that apply to all dogs then ? As far as I know, all dogs have K9's and they were all given them for the same reason ......

Marlise

maybe...but not all have the power and strength as these dogs...i doubt a bite from a poodle would do the same damage as a bite from a rotti...

i agree slightly with parts of this ,but not all ..
in this case ,the dogs were unaware that what they were doing was wrong yes !
but dogs of "this breed" were not bred to kill babies ,im sorry but they wernt ,so this is a thoughtless comment ,
they were actually bred to carry monies and stuff
here is a slight part of the history of the rottwiller

The Rottweiler has an ancestry that goes all the way back to the ancient Roman times of the Roman drover, a Mastiff type dog. The drovers were us ed to herd cattle during the day while the army was traveling, and at night while the soldiers slept it protected the troops from surprise enemy attacks. During Caesar's many travels and conquests some drovers were left behind in the areas of Germany where the natives bred the dogs to perform jobs that they wanted them to do.

In Rottweil, Germany, the town from which this breed derived its name, the breed emerged as the butcher's dog. It proved indispensible to the butcher--it herded the cattle, pulled the meat cart, and held the butcher's money purse. Not many thieves were willing to steal from a Rottweiler, and they still aren't today! I have even heard that in some European countries teams of Rotts were used instead of horses to pull barges through the canals.

When the railroad replaced dog carts, Rottweilers were out of a job and faced the same fate as many of the ancient breeds before them-extinction. Fortunately, peace officers discovered the usefulness of the breed as a police dog, and in 1910 Rotts were officially recognized as police dogs. Rotts also proved to be fine war dogs too, and they were used extensively by both the Allies and the Nazis during World War II.

i agree slightly with parts of this ,but not all ..
in this case ,the dogs were unaware that what they were doing was wrong yes !
but dogs of "this breed" were not bred to kill babies ,im sorry but they wernt ,so this is a thoughtless comment ,
they were actually bred to carry monies and stuff
here is a slight part of the history of the rottwiller

to you it may be...but to me it isn't. :) i do agree with him and i don't think they should be kept as pets....but this is just what I think...and you are more than entitled to think differntly...i only shown the piece from the sun as it sort of sums up how I feel about it....sorry that we don't all agree on this one...but then i like marmite ....lol xxx:hug:

I LOVE MARMITE :green:
of course hunnie i understand this is your oppinion ..
i agree to an extent ..they are "working dogs " by nature not familly pets ,but they can be trained to be loyal familly pets ,its all in the raising ,and breeding
oooh by the way just incase its misenterprated (sp?) i didnt mean you made a thoughtless comment ,i ment the person who said it lol

but im biast and obviously gunna stick up for my baby (not all though rottwiellers,theres one up the road from me who is very aggressive ..yet they allow the dog to walk of a lead and let the 8 year old little girl take him out for a walk...stupid ...accident waiting to happen !)

maybe...but not all have the power and strength as these dogs...i doubt a bite from a poodle would do the same damage as a bite from a rotti...

OK, so does that mean all "big" dogs like Labs, Great Dane's, Irish Blood Hounds etc. should all be kept in a Zoo because they are big dogs and can hurt people ??

Perhaps we should kill ALL dogs and rid this earth of these evil, viscious creatures and then the world will be a better place ......

Never mind the fact that some people shouldn't be allowed to be parents and some people simple shouldn't be allowed to own pets, they walk away blame free, at the end of the day, the dog was only doing what it's owners trained him to do.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/leicestershire/5375520.stm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back