Salon Burnt Down

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ditto all the above. It really is one of the hardest threads I've ever read. Gutted for you. I honestly have goosebumps, I don't know what else to say but i'm so sorry. x

Jason, I am very sorry to hear the news. Your insurers are there to help, but the chances of seeing a loss adjuster today would be slim. Suggest you look for alternative premises (if Exeter cannot be used – an hour travelling maybe a problem for most customers) or sharing a salon if possible.

Has the Fire Officer or Police been able to establish the cause of the fire? Electrical?

For everyone, please check that your premises has an updated Electrical Certificate issued by an NICEIC approved contractor. Insurance companies are looking to introduce additional policy warranties (these terms/ sections apply at all times) including Electrical Warranty; failure to adhere to this warranty may result in the insurance company refusing to settle the claim.

In our current climate, arson is a constant threat/ worry, thus the Emergency Services will need to satisfy themselves to the cause of the fire and whether it was suspicious. Don't be alarmed, this is standard practice.

Our company suffered a fire (arson) following a botched robbery; the thief set the building alight as he had cut himself and thus wanted to remove all trace of his prints/ dna. The offices (3 storeys) were inhabitable for 51 weeks, so I cannot underestimate the benefits of drafting a BCP (Business Continuity Plan)/ Disaster Recovery Policy so you can hit the ground running following a catastrophe loss. The main items to include are: -

· Contact list following a loss at your premises or in situations when you have no access to your business (denial of access); the contact list would entail who is contacted first and their responsibilities (who contacts clients/ suppliers/ insurance company etc)
· Keep both employees (team role) and clients informed at all times, thus no down time
· Establish if alternative premises can be utilised; ideal scenario is that this is organised prior where possible (communicate with local salons for renting space/ chairs – this can work both ways so you are both covered)
· Redirect telephone to mobiles/ business email to your hotmail account or equivalent (your plan should have all contact names/ numbers and account info to hand)
· Asset register; list of all items to be insured with serial number info etc
· Back-up all data to external hard drive/ disc (or via internet) and keep off premises
· Back up procedure and restore document/s
· Obtain updated contact information for employees (not only for catastrophe incidents but for Health & Safety) which includes next of kin, all contact numbers
· Include Fire Evacuation drill and Fire Extinguisher use
· Copies of the Disaster Recovery Plan should be offsite and accessible

Salons are usually insured under a standard 'Shop/ Retail' insurance policy; this is a package policy and includes Business Interruption usually for a 2 year indemnity period. This section would provide a monetary sum (up to the standard sum insured - £500,000 or similar) in respect of the Loss of Gross Profit following physical loss or damage to the premises. The 2 year indemnity period represents the maximum period during which insurers will provide cover in the event of loss or damage, reflecting the time necessary to rebuild or reestablish premises, equipment and resources.

With regard to your Contents, it is essential that you insure for full value replacement irrespective if you were given a chair or bought second hand. You cannot assume that if you are insured for £10,000 that is how much you will receive. If you are under insured, insurers will apply ‘Average’, known as under insurance. If the value to replace contents etc is actually £20,000, you are 50% under insured which in turn would see you be paid £5,000 – 50%. Stock notes actual cost not retail. Don’t forget any alterations to the premises (Tenants Improvements) such as new suspended ceiling/ floor – check that these are insured in addition to your main contents.

Sharing experience/ information is key to any business.

Good luck Jason.

I'm so sorry to hear your bad news.
I hope you recover soon xxx

I'm feeling all the love in the room. It's the hardest bit of it all really - everyone is being so kind and helpful - it's a good job you can't see my eyes leaking :) !!

I've managed to secure two new venues to try out, and all my suppliers are being amazing!

Thanks for all your messages of support.

J xx

So sorry to hear this,Im glad nobody was hurt.

Thankyou for reminding us all of what to think about with our businesses though,ie records etc.I hope you get a premises sorted soon Jason and your insurance pays out soon.xx

OMG, how awful for you,
I do hope you get sorted and back to business as soon as humanly possible. xx

:hug::hug:

So sorry for you hun. Sending some love your way. xxx

Gosh what an upsetting post.

I am so sorry to hear this Jason, but just glad that there is nobody injured. You must feel devistated.

I have a spare Hive 1000wt heater and some waxing supplies if you need any help getting up and running again, just let me know, I am happy to post it out to you if it will help.

I hope you get it sorted swiftly and get up and running again very soon.

Thinking about you... :hug:

You poor thing! What a nightmare!!!!!
You seem very positive, but it's well to keep in mind during the coming weeks how lucky you all were .As you can replace anything but not lives.
Chin up sweetie x

so sorry to hear this xxxxx

thanks for reminding us xxxx

So sorry Jason, love and very best wishes coming your way.

Glad to hear your suppliers are being so great, but if there's anything you need but can't get hold of just pop a little post on good ol Salon Geek and I'm sure one of us should be able to help you out so don't hesitate to ask and thanks for the great advice, certainly got me thinking.

H xx

That’s just awful, I really hope you get things sorted soon. Chin up and keep going x

What awful news. Just wanted to send my best wishes :hug:

Hi Jason, so sorry to hear that. I know you're in Plymouth (same as me) and if I had a spare room i'd give it to you tomorrow but our salon is only small!

Hope everything turns out well for you, best wishes x

Jason, I am so sorry to hear your very sad news, my thoughts & prayers are with you. x

totally shocked reading this, glad that no one was hurt, products etc can always be replaced, this has given me lots to think about as i have just started working from home, and need to sort out our insurance properly. wishing you all the very best and hopefully you will be back to normal soon
sharon x

Hi Jason, I just wanted to say how sorry I was to hear of this awful news, how are you feeling? I really hope the insurers pull their finger out and get this sorted out for you very soon, I cant imagine anything worse!
Well I am sending some love and a bit of angel luck your way and really hope that this will come together quickly for you and you get straight back in there. You poor love, but you'll come out on top, I know it!

thats really awfull, You must be devestated insurance can rebuild a building but re building a business it cant do:sad::sad:
We lost our main computer to a virus last week fortunately i had backed up 90% of the data but it still took 3 days to catch up and i was gutted !!
I really feel for you

Hi Jason

Just wanted to say sorry to hear your bad news.

Hope you get it all sorted quickly and manage to secure premises not too far.

ax

All the best and I hope one of those venues comes up trumps.x

Latest posts

Back