Sculpting with those paper forms!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eni

Reaction score
OMG I hate the damn things...seriously! When I learnt (dark ages mind) we used metal forms for sculpting.....so I have these blasted paper ones now and I am just so aggravated! :irked:

Any tips on getting the buggers to stay where the hell you put them so that you get a nice c curve? For some reason (its probably me, if it is let me know)...when I take them off, the product has cured just beyond the point where I can pinch a curve (which reminds me that I really didn't need to do that with the metal forms). :eek:

Thoughts? Please?

I have to add though, on a good note :). I can still sculpt a damn good looking nail and even forever french. Surprised the hell out of myself with that one, cos we didn't do those much back in the day. I was reminded WHY I used to sculpt all the time, and not use tips!

I miss my metal forms...my acra c forms....from the time before....sob!:cry:

Nancy

That'll teach you to throw things away lol:lol:

I do now prefer my paper forms, but my Acra-C ones are still in the drawer......just in case!!!

What kind of forms are you using?? To be honest the up to date ones are made with Mylar plastic to hold the shape and have wings that attach to also keep the shape.
Best ones I have found are the EzFlow universal forms........also the CND Performance forms ones are easy to work with and get a good fit. How anyone can work with Horseshoe forms or ones with tabs I just don;t know :eek: HTH

I have Tammy Taylor Competition and EZ Flow Universal forms in the paper. Yes, they have a sort of plastic (mylar?) coating on them. So basically, its me. figures.

(Off to figure out where I can get metal forms here in the Antipodes...)

Hi Nancy :)

There is a definate technique to using forms, have you had some training with them? If not when you do your training you have planned things will come together!

There is a degree of skill needed in fitting them and once properly fitted they will stay in place. You'll be fine just keep going with them

I use a variety of forms ... my CND metal Future Forms (no longer made)

My Acra C forms .... no longer made and these two are my absolute favourites.

But if I use a paper form I use CND Teflon-coated Performance Forms. When these are folded and applied correctly they do not move and hold a perfect C curve for you.

But like anything, you need a variety of choice to suit all clients.

Just wondered why no one makes the plastic or metal forms anymore if so many techs like them. Is it hygiene or because a company obviously wouldn't be making money out of reusable ones.Or did they become unfashionable,everyone stopped using them, so they stopped making them ?.

Just wondered why no one makes the plastic or metal forms anymore if so many techs like them. Is it hygiene or because a company obviously wouldn't be making money out of reusable ones.Or did they become unfashionable,everyone stopped using them, so they stopped making them ?.

I was about to ask that too LOL

I saw some forms in the beuaty express book they have a web sight thinking of ordering some myself!!

I've found that putting them on one at a time helps too! I was taught in school to put them on all 5 fingers at once and then sculpt, not sure if that's how you do it, but it works much better to put them on one finger, sculpt and then fit the form to the next finger while that ones curing, this way there is only 2 forms on all fingers at any given time (hope that makes sense lol) you don't have to worry about them dislodging and whatnot before you get to them, hth:)
Posted via Mobile Device

Would it not be easier for you to buy some more metals ones if thats what your used to using? x

I saw some forms in the beuaty express book they have a web sight thinking of ordering some myself!!

Are these the mercia ones these you can still get ...they are not quite what everyones on about.The older ones that no one can get are solid plastic things.
What every ones after were called acra c nail forms they do not seem to make them anymore I can only think they were just too good and once you had a set you didnt have to keep buying anymore which isnt good for the manufacturers who like to keep you replacing and spending fair enough i guess but it wont be long before you can get them on ebay if you can't already and then they will be missing out.

Last edited:
As I said I trained with the metal ones, so these paper ones are news to me. That being said, I did attend a TT seminar in CA (quite a few years ago) where they showed how to use the then "new" competition forms. Of course, I had my handy metal ones still then so I didn't pay too much attention (idiot) So I'm the dork that gave my acra-c's to my mate Mimi when I got out of doing nails for the public. I had second thoughts at the time too, but of course, I figured that I wasn't going to use them again.......

Hi Geeg,
I'm going to get back to it today cos I was up half the night (yeah, I'm obsessive at times) trying to figure out what the difference was between these and the ones I had and I think its the way I'm pinching out the bottom together (I hope that made sense, just like what I am about to write).

What I have been doing is taking out the center cutout, and putting that on the bottom underneath (going to try not doing that) and rocking it a skosh to get it snug, then putting the "ears" up above the nail bed and affixing, then I went back and pinched in my c curve with the tabs underneath. I think that having that center cutout on the bottom is making it too "firm" and thats why they are coming out sort of flat.

Too much faffing on my part I suppose. With the metal ones I just put the sucker on, set up my curve and off I went!

stay tuned.... :)

eta: Seems OPI up in Auckland still sells the metal ones.....if I can confirm, I'll let the Kiwi geeks know if they are interested....the acra-c's (the plastic ones) are no longer made, but I *think* I might have found an equivalent but they come out of HK (of course) , so I may just order a set and see if they are worth it or not.

I just did that, and reworked the form the way I thought I should and I'm sweet!

Thanx everyone! (doing happy dance)

i have used many forms, from the gold/black horse shoe ones (which i hate with a passion i might add) to the acra c - my prefered forms are the cnd forms, they stay where they are put, dont come loose (if anything, they stick TOO much) the ezflow ones dont float my boat, as they dont seem to hold like cnd ones do, and they also smaller....opi reusable ones, well they just fray at the ends after a while, so render useless. if you want a good nail form to use, then go with creative nail design flower, they will be the best ones you could use, once you use, and get used to them you wont use any others

I may just ring up CND NZ to see if I can get some samples of these.
When you say the OPI reusable ones, are you talking about the metal ones? Oy!

ebay has a selection of metal ones...and for quite a bit cheaper too! just ordered myself some.

Oz ebay? I looked in there yesterday and saw the metal ones....and was wondering if it was worth it....I emailed one seller to ask about them.....let me know when you get yours and tell me how you get on? please?

Latest posts

Back