Shellac on an 8 and 10 year old?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cloverhill

Reaction score
Hi - I know what your all probably thinking... NO WAY!!??

But my lovely client asked me if I do shellac on kiddies?? I've never done it b4 & would be totally nervous but she has just said that she would prefer shellac to normal polish as there's more of a chance of it lasting???

Would I need to check with my insurance company first??

Help!!

Yes, check with insurance. You will probably get a huge load of posts about if its morally ok or not but thats not our choice! Its their parents decision if its something they are OK with and your insurance companies decision if its something they will cover you for xx

Yes, check with insurance. You will probably get a huge load of posts about if its morally ok or not but thats not our choice! Its their parents decision if its something they are OK with and your insurance companies decision if its something they will cover you for xx
I agree with you it is their choice - thanks very much for your reply :)

I have done it twice on children only on people I know very people I know very well and as a favour really. But it doesn't last on children xxx

I strongly disagree. Although I do have grave concerns about foisting society's images of femininity on young girls, this is not about morality. It is about the health and safety children. And while we often rely upon parents to make that determination, there are times when all professionals must make that decision themselves - that's why you are a professional, because you bring your specialized expertise, educational and experience to bear in all matters. Not all parents are good (or informed) parents. Face it, you are required to get more training to be a nail professional than you are required to get to be a parent! I think these kinds of decisions are at the core of the meaning of being a professional.

You should have a standard policy about what the age minimum is for your different services and that should be informed by what you know about your products and services, what your professional associations recommend, what other professionals say (medical professionals, for example) and what your insurance will cover. Moreover, you should keep in mind that the major US nail manufacturers' and cosmetology associations (PBA, NCA and NMC) all say that gel polishes should not be used on children. You'd be hard pressed in the face of that to justify doing it. I think when you take all of that into consideration, gel lacquer should have a minimum age in the area of 14 to 16.

Last edited:
I have done it twice on children only on people I know very people I know very well and as a favour really. But it doesn't last on children xxx

Oh it doesn't last??

Shellac lasts longer than polish if the child doesn't pick at it. It depends, just the same as with every client.

Shellac is. Not harmful and no work is done on the nail other than cuticle removal. The Shellac would be applied to non living Keratin and there is no medical reason why for a treat, it could not be worn as long as everything else is in place such as insurance and parents permission. I would say its no more risky than normal polish if applied by a professional and children have been playing with polish for years.

I am a professional .. which is why knowing my products as well as I DO, I know that no child's health is at risk from wearing a UV cured polish. I also fortunately do not live in a litigious society where every manufacturer goes way over the top to protect themselves from law suits. It's crazy .. even on the TV adds they list all the side effects and issue legal statements when advertising any kind of drug. Unbelievably boring.
It's become a way of life in the US to go to the law over the most minor of issues, so I'm thankful I have a good mind and can be professional in my recommendations. :)

Last edited:
Oh it doesn't last??

I would say with as hands-on as most kids tend to be, I'm not too surprised that it doesn't last! Maybe if they had an occasion like a big birthday celebration or a flower girl in a wedding and you want the polish to last a bit longer.. but just for regular wear, I don't think it'd be worth it!

I generally don't like the thought of any child growing up too fast - even though I don't have any children but I will say I had a lady who paid me for her daughter who was 8 to have shellac applied for her birthday. The little girl was a keen swimmer so it was long lasting but I was happy to do it

x

I'm running a shellac nailbiters course and one of my clients has asked me if I'd do one for her, I said yes no problem ( she's seen the good results that I've had posting the pictures of one nailbiters nails on facebook) and she's booking in soon. Whilst making arrangements she said that her 12 year old daughter has picked up her bad habit, and shed love it if she stopped as her daughter is really self-conscious of her nails and hands. Her daughter has her confirmation coming up ( big catholic deal here in ireland) and she really wants the course for her daughter. I don't really see the problem as I think it will help her in the long run to form good habits especially with both of them doing it together. In saying this I have not checked with my insurance yet. But am hoping they wont have a problem with the mothers consent, I'll contact them on Monday

I quite often put shellac on my 7 year old she loves it..no damage to nails..i wouldnt hesitate on an 8 or 10 year old ( with parental permission and insurance).

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

My insurance advised me not to work on anyone younger than 16 as they have until they are 18 then 3 years onwards too claim.

She also said i must get parental consent on anyone younger than 16.

I was ringing because of doing 15 and 16 year old prom nails.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using SalonGeek

I see no difference in putting shellac on as to wearing earrings. My mom had my ears pierced when I was younger than 5.

Check with your insurance and if all is okay, I would get written consent for the guardian. Or why don't you suggest Minx? Great for kids nails, loads of designs and easier to do on a fidgety client? X

Shellac lasts longer than polish if the child doesn't pick at it. It depends, just the same as with every client.

Shellac is. Not harmful and no work is done on the nail other than cuticle removal. The Shellac would be applied to non living Keratin and there is no medical reason why for a treat, it could not be worn as long as everything else is in place such as insurance and parents permission. I would say its no more risky than normal polish if applied by a professional and children have been playing with polish for years.

Phew! Feel better about it now & she did say it was just for a treat! Thanks very much Geeg 😁

I generally don't like the thought of any child growing up too fast - even though I don't have any children but I will say I had a lady who paid me for her daughter who was 8 to have shellac applied for her birthday. The little girl was a keen swimmer so it was long lasting but I was happy to do it

x
Thanx for yr reply :)

I'm running a shellac nailbiters course and one of my clients has asked me if I'd do one for her, I said yes no problem ( she's seen the good results that I've had posting the pictures of one nailbiters nails on facebook) and she's booking in soon. Whilst making arrangements she said that her 12 year old daughter has picked up her bad habit, and shed love it if she stopped as her daughter is really self-conscious of her nails and hands. Her daughter has her confirmation coming up ( big catholic deal here in ireland) and she really wants the course for her daughter. I don't really see the problem as I think it will help her in the long run to form good habits especially with both of them doing it together. In saying this I have not checked with my insurance yet. But am hoping they wont have a problem with the mothers consent, I'll contact them on Monday

Thanks that's a great idea!!

I quite often put shellac on my 7 year old she loves it..no damage to nails..i wouldnt hesitate on an 8 or 10 year old ( with parental permission and insurance).

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

Thnks for your reply :) does is last long at al??

I've used shellac on my cousins nails - they're 10 and 15. Both for holiday last year, lasted the full 2 weeks they were away x

I've done a shellac manicure on my daughter who's 10 at the end of this month. I did it at Xmas. She loved it and it lasted perfectly. She had it on a full 2 weeks and there were no chips in sight at all.

I'd check with your insurance but at the end of the day its a decision only you can make. If you don't feel happy doing it just use the insurance line on your client. Just tell her I'm sorry but I will not be able to carry out the treatment because my insurance company won't cover me to do the treatment on children. Xx

Latest posts

Back