Shellac or Gelish

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

illusion

Reaction score
Hi Geeks, this is my first post so please me gentle with me!

I've been using soakable gels, but since hearing about the above think I'm going to try Shellac. I'm booked on my attack for Friday but have since found out about Gelish from Nail Harmony.
Techs have been raving about both products and i dont know who to go with.
Has anyone any prefence of advice.
thanks x

Shellac users will say Shellac and the Gelish users will say Gelish. These are the dilemmas we are faced with in this world! Both are fab so you just have to weigh up which one is right for you. Whichever you choose, I am sure you will not be disappointed! :D

What I would say is search on here read all the 100s of threads about both you will get all the information you need to make your mind up :hug:

Lots more people on this site are cnd users than gelish so obviously there will be many more reviews for that. They are also very new so not many people will have tried both to form an opinion.
When any 'whos best' threads like this are started eg. bio sculpture or Calgel,Ezflow or Cnd ,Berins or peron rigot wax it really never helps anyone. Try yourself and make your own mind up.

Last edited:
Hi Geeks, this is my first post so please me gentle with me!

I've been using soakable gels, but since hearing about the above think I'm going to try Shellac. I'm booked on my attack for Friday but have since found out about Gelish from Nail Harmony.
Techs have been raving about both products and i dont know who to go with.
Has anyone any prefence of advice.
thanks x

You've made a great choice and you will not regret it believe me. :D

As someone has said, not much feedback on here for Gellish but google the "beautythech" forums & take a look at the nail forums there. Mostly USA techs who have been using both products & there is plenty of info there on this very subject! If you cannot find what you are looking for why not register with them & post the same question there?

I would post A link but not very tech minded, maybe someone more wise here can do this for me!!

Shellac users will say Shellac and the Gelish users will say Gelish. These are the dilemmas we are faced with in this world! Both are fab so you just have to weigh up which one is right for you. Whichever you choose, I am sure you will not be disappointed! :D
I absolutely agree there. I looked at Gelish before I knew about Shellacs launch. I only got it last week, and I love it. But if I could i'd have Gelish too for the funky colours. Shellac has more of a classic range. Although there is a big trend in layering the colours already! I think there is more Shellac colours to be launched later in the year too. hth x x

Yes I think they are releasing 12 more shellac in a few months and then again in 2011.

Yes there are 12 more colours to add to the 12 already released in Shellac, I think Samantha said around September and then some more next year. Gelish has 24 colours available now and another 24 due end of this month or maybe June. ;)

I have them both and have used them both with great results. It's been right around 4 weeks of using them and have not had a problem with either one. Shellac has a little more of a polish consistency than Gelish, but they seem to go on the same, come off the same and last the same. However, the cost per service and range of colors sold me on Gelish. So, overall, I agree it is something you need to try for yourself to decide what works best for you! After all--it is never what product is best, but what product works best for you.

Hi, thought I'd share with you all that I attended my Shellac Attack today. I've purchased the lamp and intro kit and cant wait to get started. I looks fantastic and CND were great!
Asked about Gelish and was told that it is a soakable gel in a bottle and not a hybrid polish. But am convinved Shellac is the way to go for lots more reasons. Would definately say go on an Attack.
xx

Last edited by a moderator:
Would definately say go on an Attack.
xx

Absolutely agree! That's the best way to learn ALL there is to learn. Glad you liked it! :)

Look .. you have to realise that Shellac is different to coloured gels.

All coloured gels require a preparation of the natural nail that includes filing the surface of the natural nail .... Shellac is not a coloured gel and does not require any filing of the surface of the natural nail at any time. Gelish DOES require that you file the surface of the natural nail because it is a gel.

All coloured gels require a primer of some sort before applying a bonder layer ... Shellac is not a coloured gel and does not require a primer/bonder before application of its base coat ... Gelish DOES require the use of a primer/bonder because it is a gel.

All coloured gels require some sort of base layer on which to apply the colour gel ... Shellac is not a coloured gel and does not require a foundation layer ... Gelish DOES require a foundation layer of gel prior to the colour because it is a coloured gel.

All coloured gels require that the technician file the surface of the gel prior to removing it ... Shellac is not a coloured gel and does not require any filing of the surface to remove it ... Gelish DOES require that you file the surface of the gel before it is removed because it is a coloured gel.

There are lots of coloured gels and they all work and are long lasting, no one argues with that but they are more work and take more time. Shellac is not a coloured gel and does not require all the extra steps and products that are needed when applying coloured gels. So if you must do a comparison then compare Gelish with the many other coloured gels on the market (there are stacks and stacks of them) but do not compare it with Shellac because Shellac is not a coloured gel and the two are not the same in any way.

The reason that the beauty editors are raving about Shellac is that Beauty editors are not interested in enhancement products nor do they write about them because of the damage they see inflicted from filing the natural nail before application and having to file it on removal. Shellac is not a coloured gel and does not require any filing which is one significant reason why they are raving about it.

Shellac HYBRID colour coat is so incredibly simple, in that the UV3 colour coat system consists of just 3 products (base coat, colour coat and top coat - like polish) and goes on like polish, has the added benefit of wearing flawlessly for weeks (like a gel) and comes off fast and easy with absolutely no change in the condition of the natural nail. Imagine how easy that is for you in the salon. INCREDIBLE!!

This is what HYBRID technology means .. it means that CND in their laboratories have taken the BEST attributes of polish, the BEST attributes of gels, they have added new science with fast release polymers and come up with something unique in the world of nails.

I hope this helps you all to understand just how important Shellac is in the life of a nail technician and just why clients will love it and love YOU for using it.

Last edited:
I am becoming really confused, probably because I am a bit thick in my old age! What is the base coat for with the Shellac, is this not the same as the foundation coat the is used with Gelish. If not, can someone explain to me the difference between the 2.

On the bottle of Gelish it says that it is a Gel Polish, hence the name, I assume, Gelish. Are they misleading us?

I don't really care if it is a coloured gel or a gel polish or whatever, it goes on like a polish from the bottle in beautiful thin coats and cures like a gel, lasts without chipping or peeling or dulling for, at the moment on my fingers, two and a half weeks and still going strong. I chose Gelish because of the colour choice, 24 at the moment with another 24 to follow shortly, my clients prefer strong darker colours and this range gave me what I needed. :D

I am becoming really confused, probably because I am a bit thick in my old age! What is the base coat for with the Shellac, is this not the same as the foundation coat the is used with Gelish. If not, can someone explain to me the difference between the 2.

On the bottle of Gelish it says that it is a Gel Polish, hence the name, I assume, Gelish. Are they misleading us?

I don't really care if it is a coloured gel or a gel polish or whatever, it goes on like a polish from the bottle in beautiful thin coats and cures like a gel, lasts without chipping or peeling or dulling for, at the moment on my fingers, two and a half weeks and still going strong. I chose Gelish because of the colour choice, 24 at the moment with another 24 to follow shortly, my clients prefer strong darker colours and this range gave me what I needed. :D

Do you do any prep of the natural nail when you've applied this, such as shine removal? I think i read in another thread that you didnt have to. Just wondered if you've tried it without.

Thanks

I think as mentioned before that you need to try both brands and wear them yourself! I cant say which one is better then the other since i only tried one which is gelish. It does indeed need some prepping of the nail, which include a very light buff on the natural nail, a dehydrator |not a primer|, a very light foundation layer, two layers of colored gelish which have superb coverage and a topcoat. every layer cures in 30 sec with their LED light and 2 min with a regular uv lamp. the finish is no thicker then a nailpolish, and you remove it super fast. We had a girl in on the workshop who had hers for 4 weeks and they soaked it off in 4 min. There will be loads of colors comming up aswell so choice enough there aswell.
Maybe you could get your nails done with both of the products and compare how they hold up and which one seems more conveniant in use + the cost for you per service

What about soak-off? With Shellac, it apparently is harder to soak off if it is on the nail more than 2 weeks. What is the procedure for Gelish soak-off, ie how long does it take and does it take longer if it is on the nail longer than 2 weeks?

Also, do Gelish provide soak off kits for retail (I think there is for Shellac although it has still to be confirmed)? Thanks!:hug:

What about soak-off? With Shellac, it apparently is harder to soak off if it is on the nail more than 2 weeks. What is the procedure for Gelish soak-off, ie how long does it take and does it take longer if it is on the nail longer than 2 weeks?

Also, do Gelish provide soak off kits for retail (I think there is for Shellac although it has still to be confirmed)? Thanks!:hug:

The procedure to soak off for gelish => remove gently the shine from the surface, drench a pad with their soak off product, place on the nail and wrap aluminum foil around it. normally it takes 10 min to remove but it can go faster. scrape of the nail and top off with some nail oil. They haven´t told us about a longer soak off time after two weeks or so so i assume that it doesnt have any effect.

The procedure to soak off for gelish => remove gently the shine from the surface, drench a pad with their soak off product, place on the nail and wrap aluminum foil around it. normally it takes 10 min to remove but it can go faster. scrape of the nail and top off with some nail oil. They haven´t told us about a longer soak off time after two weeks or so so i assume that it doesnt have any effect.

Thanks for the info! xx:D

The only prep I do for Gelish is the same for regular old polish, push back/remove cuticle, clean nail plate, dehydrate, base coat, polish, top coat. Done! It lasted on my Cheba until I had to clip her nails due to growth and it lasts on me till I am tired of the color. Then I buff a little and do the acetone-cotton/tin foil method of removal and start over.
I know and I realize that they are two completely different products as one is a hybrid of gel/polish and the other is more gel than polish, but as long as they still go on the same, come off the same--I will be offering both until my Shellac runs out. I will be continueing on with my Gelish however; as I mentioned before--cost per service will keep with the Gelish.

Latest posts

Back