Smell Of Monomer

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Monomer produces vapour not fumes,i personally would question this source of information as it is very misleading and uniformed. hth's

The source of the info is Health and Safety Executive ....... hse. You have missed the point of the thread.

I haven't missed the point of the thread,i simply noted the information you are quoting is incorrect

I would like say Im very suprised at the comments posted in relation to this thread. This forum is for professionals working within the beauty industry etc yet most of you just thought that I, as the person in question who is suffering headaches as a result of the application of acrylic nails, was just whinging and moaning. Some of you preferred to bitch rather than add constuctive advice. This doesn't strike me as professional behaviour.

Please refer to SR13 COSHH Essentials for Service and
Rretail which states that "Acrylic fumes can cause headaches, dizziness, nausea and irritation" It also states that "good practice" includes "control of odour". It advises that an extraction hood or draught table must be provided. www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/guidance/sr13.pdf

As the owner of the salon in question I know that my customers have complained of the fumes. I have mentioned this in passing because I have to make the salon comfortable for everyone, customers, staff and tennants alike.

I have supplied an extractor fan and asked for the door to be closed, something which I don't think is unreasonable.

Prior to reading this post I have also offered to have an external outlet extractor fan fitted in a bigger room, which will cost me time and money.

So before you use this forum to bitch maybe spare a thought to the fact that there are always two sides to every story. Some salon owners are actually on your side and go out of the way to accomodate where they can.

Hiya and welcome to the site...although some of the replies were not very professional I can hand on heart say that they would have been very tongue in cheek...and not mean to cause upset..I am sorry if you felt that way.

There are some good points raised here... http://www.salongeek.com/nail-geek/29068-smell-liquid-causing-problems.html

And i am sure that tonilee is doing everything she can to reduce the vapours as much as possible.

Hope this helps.:)

Nothing to do with monomer, but I worked in a salon where they did colonic irrigation in the back room. Now the smell floated through the salon each time she had a client. How unappealing to the poor therapists and customers in the salon?

There was nothing I could do as at the end of the day it's a business and paying clients wanted the service(s). Sometimes it's hard but I learnt to grin and bear it in this situation.

I love the smell too.....:green:...my man hates it and says it gives him a headache!!! although I have only just started using it at home for practice...not like I am doing loads of sets!!!:lol:

my boyfriend didn't like it either but I told him it would be me and my nails or no one... and he picked "us" and now he's used to it too, and it makes him high lol

My husband used to hate the smell too.. he often started sneezing like mad.. but over time he must have got used to it as he doesn't have a sneezing fit whenever I use it now. My whole house used to smell of it.. but I don't notice it at all now and neither do any of my family.

I know its not ideal Toni... but have you thought about training in Gel, there is much less 'noticible' odour with gels than the l&p, but you still get the prep product smells. I trained with gel to get around the problem but now I only really use the l&p with no nagging from the family.

:hug:

here we are also testing stuff that could be of use with that... but so far we've tested so many things!! and they hardly ever make the cut... I think gigi's advice are simply your best bet...

this may be a subject for a new thread but i'm wondering if men are more susceptible to the smell of monomer than women?

lots of you have mentioned husbands/fathers etc not liking the smell. i can add to that with my step-dad, he makes a massive fuss whenever i do nails (even if it's just painting them).

wondered if it's a man thing that the smell bothers them more or just a coincidence!?!

I don't think... my mother in law (sorta) hates it even more than my dad.

If this is causing major problems within the salon then I would advise that a risk assessment is carried out and the appropriate action taken to reduce the risk.

Risk assessment is based on many factors and you should do what's 'reasonably practicable' to reduce the risk, this may include referrence to how many people are affected, how many hours they are exposed, financial costs may outweigh the risk etc etc

All of which are taken into account when risk assessing.

Good practice is for H&S guidance, this does not necessarliy mean that every suggestion is to be used, the idea is to reduce the risk which is based on many factors. This information can be found at the bottom of the guidance poster you were referring to.

I would call in a H&S advisor for help, if it is causing probelms.

HTH

Last edited:
Hiya everyone

I am currently learning to do acrylic nails at home with essential nails. Everytime I get my monomer out the whole house reaks of the stuff!!!! I was worried because I havetwo small children one being only 6 months. I found a gadget in boots called the JML fresh air globe. It extracts fumes and is nice to look at as its a colour changing globe. It only cost £30 and has more than halved the nasty fumes from the monomer. I would recommend it. They sell almost the same unit in shopping malls eg blue water and its buy one get one free at the moment.

this may be a subject for a new thread but i'm wondering if men are more susceptible to the smell of monomer than women?

lots of you have mentioned husbands/fathers etc not liking the smell. i can add to that with my step-dad, he makes a massive fuss whenever i do nails (even if it's just painting them).

wondered if it's a man thing that the smell bothers them more or just a coincidence!?!

yer mine too, how wierd, i just thought he was being a whinger lol x

have you thought about lighting an oil burner, maybe opening the window too if you have one an hour before the treatments? x

Hiya everyone

I am currently learning to do acrylic nails at home with essential nails. Everytime I get my monomer out the whole house reaks of the stuff!!!! I was worried because I havetwo small children one being only 6 months. I found a gadget in boots called the JML fresh air globe. It extracts fumes and is nice to look at as its a colour changing globe.
Monomer doesn't give off fumes, it has odour and vapour :wink2:

Try working 'smarter', ie, don't wipe your brush more than necessary, use Scrubfresh (or similar) to dampen a lint free pad for when you need to wipe your brush, use a stainless steel container to store waste product until you can dispose of it etc.

Hope that helps a bit x

If she is so against the smell and complaining about it why is she renting the room in the first place?... seems strange to me.. plus she would have know there would be a smell to "nail" Stuff... Have you tried to burn an essential oil in a burner?. I sometimes burn Lemon Myrtle oil.. it is fresh and it quiet a bit stronger than the other oils i have used. Maybe also you could get some of those little nappy bags that mums carry to put dirty nappies in.. they are scented and tie them up after each client and put them straight into the bin... other than that i don;t know what you are going to do..
Surely she can see that you are doing all that you can...
hope it works out for you x

i rekon she is just one for whinging,
call me weird but i love the smell of monomer lol
tracy x

I am with you I just LOVE the smell of it lol

Latest posts

Back