Smelling from a tan???

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoLimitNails

Reaction score
Hi all.

Hopefully this week I will find out, if I get my salon or not. If I do I would love to maybe do spraytans at some point, as I feel it's missing in this country.

But the problem is, whenever I use self tanning products, I smell! Not just a wee smell, I really literally stink:irked: So I tried California tan (sprayed by a pro) and still I smell kind of old and mouldy, eeewww.

I know it can be because of my skin, but I would like to use products that I can recommend because I use them...

Have any of you tried this, and have an idea of which product I can use, for both my salon and I???

Thanks

I use Suntana products whaich come in 3 shades and each has its own fragrance, Coconut, Cherry and Chocolate and you will literally smell of one of those fgragrances.
x

You could also try the vani-t velocity, you get absolutely no smell at all from the development (the burnt biscuit smell) because you can wash it off sooner (1-4hrs). My clients also say they don't get the smell from the rest of the vani-t range as well, but I can detect a bit of a smell if left on for overnight (over the 10hrs). Although I am a bit obsesive that way lol.
Good luck x

Thanks guys. I'll look into those products:hug:

Xen tan smells fab, as soon as I pop my tent up at a new clients house there like ooo whats that lovely smell lol
I use it on my self and only get a faint smell if I have put it on for sat night on the friday night, spend all day in the house cleaning sat lol(obviously I have a shower before i go out but then that 24hrs I have had it on) hth xx

Sometimes when spray tanning the DHA developing process can cause an odor with certain body chemistry's. I am one of those very unlucky people. I use Disguised: DHA Neutralizing Spray, the first 24 hours after my tan. This eliminates that odor. I get this product as I get most of the products I use and carry in my mobile business from EnvyTan. I have also used scent boosts which really help. This sounds like what may being going on with you.

Hi all.

Hopefully this week I will find out, if I get my salon or not. If I do I would love to maybe do spraytans at some point, as I feel it's missing in this country.

But the problem is, whenever I use self tanning products, I smell! Not just a wee smell, I really literally stink:irked: So I tried California tan (sprayed by a pro) and still I smell kind of old and mouldy, eeewww.

I know it can be because of my skin, but I would like to use products that I can recommend because I use them...

Have any of you tried this, and have an idea of which product I can use, for both my salon and I???

Thanks
Unfortunately the development process of DHA with the skin does cause a slight smell...some skins smell more than others (bit like smelly feet...some are bearable and others not LOL)
Just because you as an individual has a more smelly reaction on your skin doesn't mean that everyone else does.

All you really can do is try different brands...remembering though that it is not you that has to be comfortable...but your customers..the vast majority of whome wont have the same problem as you do.

The only soution that I have tried and tested that truly doesnt have a development reaction is B&Q's antique pine

HTH ;0))

Lol, i use couture and everybody comments on how nice the smell is. Not that it is scented but just that it is not that overpowering "fake tan smell".

My advice would be to get a tester of everything, then you can have a look at the colours as well as the smell, fab!

I have yet to find a tan that doesn't smell,I have an extremely sensitive nose and can smell a fake tan from a mile away:twisted:. It's the DHA reacting with the skins natural proteins that causes the smell.The odour can be masked but will still be there,some may not notice it there but believe me it is.The odour changes as the tan progresses.Unfortunately the two go hand in hand.HTH

Unfortunately the development process of DHA with the skin does cause a slight smell...some skins smell more than others (bit like smelly feet...some are bearable and others not LOL)
Just because you as an individual has a more smelly reaction on your skin doesn't mean that everyone else does.

All you really can do is try different brands...remembering though that it is not you that has to be comfortable...but your customers..the vast majority of whome wont have the same problem as you do.

The only soution that I have tried and tested that truly doesnt have a development reaction is B&Q's antique pine

HTH ;0))

Lol Collin - haven't tried that one yet although I have smelt it and I'm sure it doens't smell anywhere near as nice as the Tantrick solutions!

Kate

I think that it is the DHA changing your PH balance. And so you get the smell. Now I use apple cider vinegar for everything that smells!!! I wounder is a 1 to 1 water and apple cider vinegar in a spray bottle after the tan has set. It should help balance the PH. I think maybe leave it one for 10 mins??? Then shower, unless you like smelling like a pickle!!!! I will give it a go tonight. I did not get cream this time I am trying Tan Towels from Look Good Naked. Trying ti find one that has a lower after smell. I will post on the vinegar Idea!

It'll be the smell of Maillard reaction products where sugars (DHA in the case of spray tan) react with proteins (the top layer of your skin in the case of spray tan) - a similar chemical reaction takes place when cooking biscuits etc, hence the "burnt biscuit" smell...

It'll be the smell of Maillard reaction products where sugars (DHA in the case of spray tan) react with proteins (the top layer of your skin in the case of spray tan) - a similar chemical reaction takes place when cooking biscuits etc, hence the "burnt biscuit" smell...

I would rather smell of "burnt biscuit", then "dirty feet!" :D

i smell like a tray of freshly baked Mc Vities wholewheat biscuits myself this morning, the dogs love it !!, no need to shower the guide colour off in our house they lick it off lol
As Ruth quiet rightly said it is the mallard reaction that causes the odour but its certainly not unpleasant,
12 years ago My ex used rub on fake tans that Made me heave !! but nowadays with the Natural Organic Pharmaceutical grade DHA used in good quality solutions,the stink is no more hth

Latest posts

Back