Smile lines

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keeleyp

Reaction score
I have only been doing gel for a week, and decided to try and do my own pink & white tips rather than use white tips. I did ok but found it very hard to get a crisp smile line, did anyone else have this problem when starting out?

I got fed up and ended up putting on the white tips which i dont like as much.

It took me about an hour to do one hand, but just feel ill never be able to master the smile line.

I was wondering if i was not using enough white gel?

x:cry:

it still takes me about 3hours to do a full set on myself if it makes you feel better!:lol: and i've been doing my own for nearly 4 years now!

Try not to get yourself down about it, smile lines will get better with practise and as you say you've only done this for a week. Maybe ask your trainer for some extra help if you feel you are struggling in this particular area

Thanks, I think ill just keep practicing. Yours look lovely just looked at your pics.

What did you use for the glitter ones.
xx

I wouldnt worry everyone struggles with smile lines to begin with :)
Lots of practise and perhaps a read of the smile line tutorials on here and I am sure you will be getting them right in less time.

Hi Keeley,

I have also just started doing gel nails I put a little calguard in the lid and dip the brush in this (wipe excess on side of lid) and neaten up my smile line, hey presto perfect smile line hths xx

The stringing method works well to make crisp smiles with gel and so does the reverse method ... so does any method when you become skilled at what you are doing. Fraid I'm not a swiper!

I have tried a few methods and have found using a fine striper brush to draw the smile line works the best for me. I guess its about finding a method which is suitable for you. I am going to try out the reverse application and see how I get on with that one.

Hi Keeley,

I have also just started doing gel nails I put a little calguard in the lid and dip the brush in this (wipe excess on side of lid) and neaten up my smile line, hey presto perfect smile line hths xx
Thank you I will try that. Your nails look lovely on your website. How long have you been doing them, do you do this full time.
x

I have tried a few methods and have found using a fine striper brush to draw the smile line works the best for me. I guess its about finding a method which is suitable for you. I am going to try out the reverse application and see how I get on with that one.
Thank you

Thank you I will try that. Your nails look lovely on your website. How long have you been doing them, do you do this full time.
x

Thanks Keeley, I've been doing CND L & P for about 2 1/2 years, but only did my calgel course in march (that reminds me must update website lol) Yes this is my full time job, I'm adding waxing and tanning soon too!
More experienced techs maybe dont like the swipe but it the easiest for me I do my french polish the same but use a cotton bud dipped in nail polish remover, I was never taught how to apply polish so thats probably why I'm a swiper lol Let us know how you get on xx

Im thinking of going self employed is what you do? just not sure how or where to start?
anyone help?

Yes I'm self employed, I went to business gateway but not sure if you will have one of those in your area, search the net for help starting your own business in you area and see what it comes up with, if I can help you I will xx

Hi Love, not being a gel tech myself, I struggled with crisp smile lines too. I learned a quick way to do it and they always turn out beautifully (and I don't do them very often). I lay down my white, clean off my brush and then swipe the smile line out. It always works for me!

Hope it helps

I got an excellent tip by a CND educator today - it was to place a ball of preferred white gel to zone 1 and then creating the smile line with a marbelizing tool or a dotting tool. That worked great for me. :D

I got an excellent tip by a CND educator today - it was to place a ball of preferred white gel to zone 1 and then creating the smile line with a marbelizing tool or a dotting tool. That worked great for me. :D
HI what are these tools? sorry not heard of them?
x

HI what are these tools? sorry not heard of them?
x

Uhmmm... oh no, here comes the language boundary. :green:
I mean a tool like this:

dotting-tool-large.jpg

Or this:

Nail%20dotting%20Tool_S.jpg

Sorry, I just googled "dotting tool" and these came up.
Apologies if these are (C) material, can be removed. :)

So basically, a tool you would work with when creating marbleized nail art.
This tool is VERY handy to create smile lines, it surprised me, but the thin ballon edge moves the gel exactly where you want it to be.
Just make sure you have the tool with a smaller balloon, the end result is more precise with that one.
Also, I would suggest freeze curing after 2 nails at a time, so there will be no leakage or "bleeding" of the smile line.

xx

I have just started to use the dotting tool method after 2 years of using the brush and i have to say, for me, I get a much cleaner smile with alot less bother

I have just started to use the dotting tool method after 2 years of using the brush and i have to say, for me, I get a much cleaner smile with alot less bother

Absolutely agreed! :green: That was such a cool tip I will definitely use!
Also, with the dotting tool, it is way easier to create the smile line compared to the brush.
With the brush, I would always have to clean it afterwards.

I prefer Bagpus's method. I don't swipe very much at the salon, but when competing I ALWAYS swipe. One tip to perfect you smiles is to do it at yourself, take it off and again and again and again... If I have been for away from work for some days, I always do this before the first client. I also tend to do this the night before competitions and on the morning before.

C.

Latest posts

Back