So Frustrated!!!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

roseblanc

Reaction score
I'm so frustrated. I've had 2 clients call me and tell me their enhancements broke off. The way they broke tho, seems to me like the glue (they both have tips) separated from the nail causing the false nail to break off. They both have no problems with the product lifting (one has gel the other has acrylic) - just the tips broke off right where they meet the real nail. I'm so frustrated!! The only thing I can think of is that my glue is no longer any good. But here is my confusion - I used the exact same glue on myself and I have all my tips, and they show no sign of lifting off the real nail.

In my haste to change glues (thinking this is the problem) I went and got myself some Sally Hansen 2000 lbs nail glue. I haven't had the chance to use it yet (just bought the new glue yesterday). But now my mind is on over-drive - Is the glue no good anymore? Am I doing something wrong? And the new glue I got, the Sally Hansen one, is it any good? I don't usually use Sally Hansen (but I was in a rush to change glues because I don't want to use the other one anymore and I have clients coming in today). What is the best glue to use for tips? OMG! I'm totally freaking out here!!

It may not be the adhesive you used, but the tips!
Did the tips you used suit their nail plates, if they had flat nail plates then the tip may have 'popped' back off if it wasn't the correct fit.

No, I dont think it was the tips at all, they fit beautifully, and 1 client does not have flat nails, the other client however has damaged nails from her old technician that was too trigger happy with her e-file.

Well another thing could be the way you built them. Perhaps not enough product in that area where all nails naturally break. Maybe you don't actually have a central apex of product built in there for strength --- this would be my guess as to the reason for the problem.

We use ADHESIVE in the nail industry and the professional way to describe it is adhesive not glue (which is made with animal byproducts). Most branded adhesives are plenty strong enough for most every day wear and tear .. I think you have not built them strong enough.

The fact that your nails have lasted really is meaningless as your activity level with using your hands might be much less than your clients who broke theirs. Not everything is equal .. you have to build custom designed nails for each different client's activity level.

Lastly you can tell if your adhesive has 'gone off' as it will feel most peculiar, stringy and you will have trouble adhering the tips at all. so I doubt it is that either.

So a few things to consider there.

Last edited:
We use ADHESIVE in the nail industry and the professional way to describe it is adhesive not glue.

You can call it whatever you like, at the end of the day it's still glue. And for the record - I don't appreciate you undermining my vocabulary or my professionalism by my choice of words.

It's for exact reasons like this that newbies are afraid and on edge about posting to this board.

You can call it whatever you like, at the end of the day it's still glue. And for the record - I don't appreciate you undermining my vocabulary or my professionalism by my choice of words.

It's for exact reasons like this that newbies are afraid and on edge about posting to this board.

True professionalism ... I in my ignorance, used to also call it glue until Doug Schoon pointed out to me that glue is made with animal by products and in fact what we use in the nail industry is a pharmaceutical grade EC adhesive and that as professionals we should call it adhesive to show that we understand what we are working with. Funny that I didn't feel undermined in the slightest by him putting me right. I embraced the chance to learn the correct terms for my business from the world authority on nail product chemistry.

If new people are afraid to be corrected and unwilling to learn, then it seems a silly choice to choose a teaching site like this in which to spend their time.

Frankly I am stunned and amazed that one would ignore the opportunity to learn something that will elevate them, and feel undermined by it and threatened. Fancy focusing on that one small paragraph and completely ignoring the good advice you were given to improve in the other 3 paragraphs.

I don't think Geeg was trying to undermine you. I think she was trying to help you to learn.
She, and many others here, has been in the industry for many years, but still can learn from all sorts of people and places. Tis a sad day indeed when we become scared to learn :(

Hi

I think that it is where you have applied the tip and maybe not strengthened the join when you've been applying the product you are using?

As Geeg says it will need strengthening there as that is where I believe you get the most stress put on....

I have learnt to build more product into that area as my sculptures broke easily at the join.

This site has a huge amount of knowledge and I would like to think that as we all are passionate about Nails, Skin Care , Waxing etc any feedback from professionals would be greatly recieved, after all we are all professionals and have one thing in common, we use this site to ask for advice and to learn from it.

I don't think Geeg was trying to undermine you. I think she was trying to help you to learn.
She, and many others here, has been in the industry for many years, but still can learn from all sorts of people and places. Tis a sad day indeed when we become scared to learn :(

Or too stubborn to learn!! :lol: I learn something from this site everyday ... not necessarily about nails. :green:

I hate to think of people being too stubborn to learn. It's just bonkers! Isn't it?
How on earth can we hope to be the best we can be if we don't realise that it's all about lifelong learning!?

Here we go again, I was grateful to have it pointed out to me what the correct terminology for our products - it makes it clear to the reader what you are referring to.

When I read that someone is using glue it makes me wonder whether they are actually using nail adhesive or hardware store glue........it is hard to tell

Funny that I didn't feel undermined in the slightest by him putting me right.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for learning - but when it's said with an "I-Know-It-All" attitude, it's not appreciated. And maybe that was not your intent - but that was the way I took it. When your talking with newbies, you should try to phrase yourself more politely so that people don't misunderstand HOW you're saying things.

Telling someone "It's called adhesive, not glue" sounds like a real catty attitude to me. You could have rephrased yourself so that it sounded a little nicer and not so bitchy.

Im a newbie too roseblanc but I think you need to think a little bit before you reply so harshly. When I read this thread you are the one who came across rude not Geeg.

I always called glue glue until it was pointed out to me what the differences are, if your not told you will never learn and as newbies we have to listen to those who are far higher on the ladder than we are.

Everyone here is here to help. no one gets paid to answer our questions and a lot of the people here are busy with their own businesses and lives and may not have a lot of time to be overly polite with answers. Lol I would mind if every other word was an expletive as long as I got the answer I needed in the end!!

Oh and just to mention quick - if us newbies were so afraid to learn and seek advice - I dont think any of us would be on this site TRYING to learn new things, and asking for advice. That is the reason we are all here isn't it?

All the actual advice was greatfully noted - but what Geeg said about the glue - at first I left it alone but then it nawed at me throughout the day. It bothered me. You have to understand, these sites are just words on a screen - and the words, they can be taken any way. If it was mentioned in person I'm sure there would be no tone that would indicate undermining - but its almost impossible when you're just reading words on a screen. Newbies are self conscience as it is, and most are terrifed to even post because they feel they are asking "stupid" questions. You have to go easy on these people or they will be scared off. You have to phrase yourself appropriately so that they don't misunderstand or take you the wrong way (which clearly happened here).

As a newbie, I just love the advice, help, and learning I get from this site - I don't mind be corrected either - but politely, and not with an attitude.

Maybe you should take some time and think that over. Being polite goes a long way, and phrasing yourself appropriately would not cause any confusion or upsets.

Believe it or not, Gigi is one of the most polite people that I have ever known. :)

Stick around for a bit longer and then you will slowly realise her words are A-grade porcelain which is often mistaken for low grade clay.

You have to understand, these sites are just words on a screen - and the words, they can be taken any way. If it was mentioned in person I'm sure there would be no tone that would indicate undermining - but its almost impossible when you're just reading words on a screen. Newbies are self conscience as it is, and most are terrifed to even post because they feel they are asking "stupid" questions. You have to go easy on these people or they will be scared off. You have to phrase yourself appropriately so that they don't misunderstand or take you the wrong way (which clearly happened here).

As a newbie, I just love the advice, help, and learning I get from this site - I don't mind be corrected either - but politely, and not with an attitude.

Maybe you should take some time and think that over. Being polite goes a long way, and phrasing yourself appropriately would not cause any confusion or upsets.

I'm fascinated now. I did just sit and wince at your incredibly abrupt reply to Geeg but then, ironically given what you went on to say, thought maybe you didn't intend it as it read. How can you possibly sit and acknowledge that things may read differently to people than how they were intended and then react the way you did?

I have to question who's undermining who by then telling us how we should or have to speak to anyone. Look at the sheer scale of the membership and ask your self if we are that scary, how did any of us stay and help this place to grow to what it has.

You were given excellent advice and decided to take offence at a technicality. Incredible.

JMO of course.

I'm fascinated now. I did just sit and wince at your incredibly abrupt reply to Geeg but then, ironically given what you went on to say, thought maybe you didn't intend it as it read. How can you possibly sit and acknowledge that things may read differently to people than how they were intended and then react the way you did?

I have to question who's undermining who by then telling us how we should or have to speak to anyone. Look at the sheer scale of the membership and ask your self if we are that scary, how did any of us stay and help this place to grow to what it has.

You were given excellent advice and decided to take offence at a technicality. Incredible.

JMO of course.

I totally agree Min, I'm not going to add much at all, but what I will say is what has been now bugging me for a wee while now. We offer help, then get told we are either know it alls or think we are better than anyone else :rolleyes:

I just wish that some people would have the common courtesy and decency to accept help when they ask a question without turning it into a them versus us which in my opinion it most definitely not.

I am really shocked at this post and the reply from you, I have read and re-read what Geeg said and it doesn't come across as anything but help which is what you asked for and about the glue,and the reply was just to let you know that it isn't called glue.. :)

My God.. I have read this thread & the only person coming across with a "No it all attitude" is you!

Your profile shows "doing nails on/off for 6 years" & only "certified" in Jan 09.

That IMO does not give you the right to take offence & rebel against the Geeg ... who actually may not be of the opinion she knows it all.. but knows a hell of a lot more than you!

If you have been doing nails for 6 years then the absoloute least you should know is the difference between "Glue & Adhesive"

& if you are "certified" as you you say!!! you should have been taught this in your training & would`nt be asking this Q`s in the first place!!!!

I despair....:rolleyes:

Sahara Nail Spa

I think the OP has probably got the message now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back