Soak off using foil wrap method

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adelekeegan1

Chatty geek
Reaction score
I must be doing something wrong, please could someone point me in the right direction.

If I am soaking off L&P or soak off gels I have tried many times to do it by using the tin foil method. I use a cotton wool ball (also tried a nail wipe) well soaked in acetone and a generous sized piece of foil wrapped around tightly. Then wrapped in a warm towel.

I always cut down length and remove any bulk first.

I have never had any success. The foil always leaks and at best the product has only softened a bit so I end up having to soak off in a dish.

Please help - I feel such an idiot:o

I have the same problem Adele, so we can feel idiots together.

I am, as I type, sitting with my hand in a large bowl of acetone:lol:

I have the same problem Adele, so we can feel idiots together.

I am, as I type, sitting with my hand in a large bowl of acetone:lol:

Well I'm glad its just not me :lol::lol::lol:

Go have a peek at my blog hun, that should make u laugh :green:

Adele try putting a little less acetone on the cotton wool chick, make sure when you wrap the foil around the finger you leave enough over hang so you can fold it up and over the finger. That should stop any leaks.

Give it a good 20 mins then gently unwrap and check the product is softening, if it is this is where i usualy take a file (one i have for this purpose only) and file off any softened product then wrap it back up. Sometimes soaking the cotton wool with a little more acetone at this point helps that last little bit to soak off. HTH

I find this the best way for me but have used the bowl method and im sat there for hours like a ruddy lemon:irked:

after wrapping with foil, try putting on some close fitting latex gloves. i find it helps keep good contact of the cotton wool to the nail and also as it makes the hands hotter it speeds it up a bit too.
one other thing is to make sure you use a thick quality foil as a 'value' brand just splits too easily and its difficult to wrap it tightly to the finger.

i usually pop on 2 pairs of gloves and wander of to do something i've been putting off like a bit of bathroom cleaning or something.

how much bulking are you taking down?...i find if i havent taken the product thin enough they can take longer
the key is to leave the wrapped up and no peeking!...lol
i normally thin right down so the product left is v thin
then get my foil (i used highlighting foil as its a handy size, strong and lasts forever ;)) place it under the finger, get my cotton wool soaked in acetone place it on the top of the thinned product and then wrap up
if you wrap too tightly the acetone can seep out...best thing is to not 'squeeze' it too much iykwim
once you have left them for 20-30 mins have a look at the first nail you did- gently unwrap to check, i use the cotton wool already there to just wipe the surface and the product normally comes away no prob, if i need to soak any more, i just get some fresh acetone/cotton wool and re-wrap and wait a bit longer

the other day Nicki soaked her nails off in a bowl and it took well over an hour and imo was far messier with all the scrapping etc...

hth

Jess
xox

I use the tin foil method but i lay one of those wheat filled bags you heat up in the microwave over the top and its much quicker. I had mine in the cupboard as i sometimes suffer with pain in my back and neck but its got a better use now. x

That's a fab idea Susan i had never thought of that , i hate cleaning and soaking off my nails so two crummy jobs done in one go, great idea

I use the tin foil method with Bio, which is a breeze to soak off so it's hard to compare.... but I don't have any product remover seeping out. Maybe too much on the pad? Not enough foil?

When doing my own I put on a tight latex glove (as suggested) then wrap my hand in a heating pad. It really speeds things up.

I use the tin foil method but i lay one of those wheat filled bags you heat up in the microwave over the top and its much quicker. I had mine in the cupboard as i sometimes suffer with pain in my back and neck but its got a better use now. x

Or i use a mini hot water bottle and lay it over the clients fingers that are wraped in foil, the heat makes the acetone react better usualy come off in 20-30 mins also remember if the product application is thick it will take doble the time to soak, make sure you buff the hole nail to allow the acrylic to absorbe theremover.....

I never had any joy with the tin foil method either Adele!
I just stick to my black trays now. I thin down a bit first, and take the length down if required, put them into the trays, then a towel on top and a mini hot water bottle on each hand, dead trendy ones, mine are clear hearts with glitter inside!
My soaking off and mini manicure takes around 45 mins! xxxxxx:hug:

Thanks everybody, I'm still not sure what I'm doing wrong and as I can soak off in a dish in 20 mins I think I am thinning enough.

I'll give it one more go though:)

Adele try putting a little less acetone on the cotton wool chick, make sure when you wrap the foil around the finger you leave enough over hang so you can fold it up and over the finger. That should stop any leaks.

Give it a good 20 mins then gently unwrap and check the product is softening, if it is this is where i usualy take a file (one i have for this purpose only) and file off any softened product then wrap it back up. Sometimes soaking the cotton wool with a little more acetone at this point helps that last little bit to soak off. HTH

I find this the best way for me but have used the bowl method and im sat there for hours like a ruddy lemon:irked:

I do this too but I have also found that if you place the hands in gloves or a plastic bag then in a bowl of warm water it is much quicker. The free edge of the nails never seem to loosen until I tried this way, I think the heat helps the acetone to do its work.
Make sure though that the client does not get any water into the bag or gloves as this stops the acetone from working.
HTH
Jen xx

I have tried it this way too, just like Pips described, but it always takes alot longer than just soaking in remover.

So I'm just like you too Adele!:green:

I use the round cotton pads and hair foil....never had a problem with time unless I haven't thinned it enough.

I have tried with nail wipes and found them to be pants for this procudure, they don't seem to hold enough product for the job....also I did once try with normal cotton wool but the wool just went fluffy and stuck to the top layer of product I was trying to remove.

I agree about the "value" brand foil. What a mess I got into when I first started. I now buy hair foil from my local wholesalers. It's about the right width and you can tear it off the length you want. I know I'm lazy but being mobile I find this a convenient method.

...and a mini hot water bottle on each hand, dead trendy ones, mine are clear hearts with glitter inside!...

Wow they sound lovely! Do you remember where you got them? I think they'd be nice to have for clients when they come in from the cold as well, not just for soaking off. Certainly makes for better polymerisation if their hands aren't freezing! :)

Latest posts

Back