Solar Oil treatment

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DinkyPinky

Reaction score
I would like to do some kind of warm solar oil treatment for my clients that have dry peeling nails. Has anyone got any good ideas? I thought of using a smal bowl with oil in it on top of a larger bowl with warm water in but I think this will use alot of oil? Can the oil be reused? I'm sure I read on here a while ago about soaking a magis wrap with oil and wrapping the nail and then putting them in heated mitts. Is this ok to have foil with an electric product?

I would like to do this for my shellac clients every once in a while may be as a free complimentary service for christmas? I appreciate the soak or wrap would have to be done after the shellac application.

I would like to do some kind of warm solar oil treatment for my clients that have dry peeling nails. Has anyone got any good ideas? I thought of using a smal bowl with oil in it on top of a larger bowl with warm water in but I think this will use alot of oil? Can the oil be reused? I'm sure I read on here a while ago about soaking a magis wrap with oil and wrapping the nail and then putting them in heated mitts. Is this ok to have foil with an electric product?

I would like to do this for my shellac clients every once in a while may be as a free complimentary service for christmas? I appreciate the soak or wrap would have to be done after the shellac application.

Good idea as a treat for clients, but if you used the bowl method it would be very costly and you could not reuse the Oil.

If Worried about foil in the electric mitts, you could buy the CND wraps just for this service.. Magis are fine for 'every day treatments, but the CND wraps would be very nice for the oil treatment I think and look tres professional!

I hope your Shellac clients have already ALL purchased Solar Oil to use every day with their Shellac .. it really improves longevity.

Hi, I've just purchased the easy soak from my local wholesales,you can use that for oil too, maybe use a carrier oil with almond, I'm gonna give it a go.

Last edited:
nice idea! ive been surprised how many people have peeling/delamination! I know solar oil can pass through the Shellac so sounds like it could be a really nice thing to offer and also would sound impressive to the clients x

How about using a wheat bag for the heat, rather than electric mitts?

All of my Shellac clients do have solar oil but some do admit to only using it when they remember!! I do tell them it is important but you know what the naughty ones are like :lol:.

I hadn't thought of using the Shellac removal wraps instead of the magis wraps. If I do it as a complimentary service for christmas it could get expensive though. How about using the magis wraps and then putting them in towelling mitts before putting in the heated mitts?

Oh yeah, I do have the easy soak but I guess again it would use up alot of oil.

A wheat bag is a nice idea, I think I have one somewhere.

Any of the carrier oils (sunflower, grapeseed, jojoba, almond, even olive)can be used in place of solar oil--as that is mostly what it is made of. And the body's own heat is enough to warm the oil. As long as you wrap the fingertips securely, unless you have a client with really cold hands! lol, Then you could throw and electric heating pad over your client wristrest and cover it with a towel, lay their hands on it with the wrapped fingertips and cover with another towel. Antoher trick I have seen is to dip the wrapped fingertips in paraffin.

All of my Shellac clients do have solar oil but some do admit to only using it when they remember!! I do tell them it is important but you know what the naughty ones are like :lol:.

I hadn't thought of using the Shellac removal wraps instead of the magis wraps. If I do it as a complimentary service for christmas it could get expensive though. How about using the magis wraps and then putting them in towelling mitts before putting in the heated mitts?

Oh yeah, I do have the easy soak but I guess again it would use up alot of oil.

A wheat bag is a nice idea, I think I have one somewhere.

That all sounds good. And we all know there is nothing like Solar Oil don't we? It hasn't been voted into the Beauty Hall of Fame as the BEST cuticle oil in the world because it's like olive oil :lol: The quality of the oil is the finest grade you can buy and the lightest most easy to penetrate the skin and really does the job. Make a gift treatment worth giving and worth having done and do it with Solar Oil.:hug:

Yeah I definitely want to use Solar Oil. I can't really rave to clients about how great it is and then use something else :lol:.

Geeg, for clients that have really dry nails is it possible to apply a touch of solar oil after removing shellac, then do nail prep as normal and scrubfresh to remove any residual oil and then reapply shellac? Sometimes the nails look pretty dehydrated and could benefit with a touch of direct oil application. I know in normal circumstances this wouldn't be recommended but is this always a total NO NO?

Yeah I definitely want to use Solar Oil. I can't really rave to clients about how great it is and then use something else :lol:.

Geeg, for clients that have really dry nails is it possible to apply a touch of solar oil after removing shellac, then do nail prep as normal and scrubfresh to remove any residual oil and then reapply shellac? Sometimes the nails look pretty dehydrated and could benefit with a touch of direct oil application. I know in normal circumstances this wouldn't be recommended but is this always a total NO NO?

I wouldn't do it. I don't see the point of re-hydrating nails just to use a solvent again to remove all the benefit from the Solar Oil you just applied!

If the clients use Solar Oil every day, as they are supposed to do, then their nails will not get dehydrated ... they're not using it!! MAKE them. If you see dehydration then tell them .. "Use your Solar Oil every night if possible." they have the remedy .. but remedies don't work if they are not used. Duh!! lol

You are right Geeg (as always), I hadn't really thought it through sensibly! It's so annoying when clients don't take notice of our advice. I have told them to put it on their bedside table so they can apply it just before going to sleep, how difficult can it be! I will have to be more firm with them :lol:

If they aren't using the oil is it the acetone in the remover that dehydrates the nail plate or the shellac product itself? I only ask so that I am armed with all the information as some clients love to question everything!

If you're wanting to do a soak treatment, why not try either the almond or citrus soaks from CND, that's what they are used for, so would not be as expensive to use.

Thanks Steepdene but I want to specifically do a warm oil soak for rehydration.

If the client is just having them soaked off you could go round the cuticle & under the nail with solar oil (before applying your remover) & that could be working on the skin while the remover is working on the gel in heated mitts.

Why not massage the solar oil into the cuticle's then apply the CND almond hand cream then the heated mitt's?? I do my paraffin wax treatment like this, hands feel lovely after.

Did you say something about foil? if so why worry about that??

Good idea. I love solar oil. Does anyone know if the solar balm would be good for eczema? I have a client with really bad excema and the docs haven't sorted it. Will solar oil be good? Xx

SolarOil will not cure eczema but it will soothe the inflammation and alleviate the itching which in turn reduces the stress factor.

Many many clients over the years have told me that SolarOil has really helped to manage their eczema and make their life more liveable.

You could use the methed you first suggested (one bowl of oil inside a bowl of warm water). If your client puts her hand into like a claw (fingers curved, so nails face downwards), then you wouldn't need a lot of oil, as you only need to cover the nails. And the warm oil left in the bowl can be used for a mand and arm massage, so no wastage xXx

If the client is just having them soaked off you could go round the cuticle & under the nail with solar oil (before applying your remover) & that could be working on the skin while the remover is working on the gel in heated mitts.

I like this idea because the skin can look very dry immediately after the shellac has been removed. Some clients who are not used to enhancements can look a bit worried by this which is why I have been oiling the whole nails straight after removel, to give the nails a drink. (lol)

I may try just oiling the surrounding skin before removal.
Recently though I have been oiling after the last cure at the end, hope this is ok?

How about using a plastic sheet instead of foil. You know the kinds that you get for body treatments?? How about cutting it up to a size that would cover all the fingers or whole hand and then pop the hands in to the heated mitten?

Latest posts

Back