Some random brisa/gel questions, length, bubbles ect...

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

~Emmsybabes~

Reaction score
Hi peeps,
Just a few general questions I have regarding brisa and or general gel questions..

1) My best friend who was my model on my course has fallen in love with brisa gels, Now the only possible problem I can think is she likes the length of her nails quite long,
It is taking some getting used to but I realise gel nails are thinner overall than l&p nails,
So when doing some longer nails do I still keep them thinner overall, will the flexibility compensate for the length ?
Or do I build them slightly thicker overall as I would with Long l&p nails....
I'm thinking so far too thin will break easier and so will too thick as I will be taking away that flexibility the product needs..

(If anyone has pictures of longer brisa nails from the side and barrel shot could you share with me please)

2) Bubbles... I haven't had many thankfully lol, But I have noticed the odd one every now and then, what is the best way to get rid of the bubble,
I have found I am trying to brush it out, but then end up pulling the product forward and spoiling my shape :mad:

3) does anyone know off the tops of their heads any good threads or web pages that give some good pointers for using the brisa shimmers
(I know it's important for me to learn the basics first....but you guy's know how I like to play :lol:)
and colours also,
I have the shimmers I dont have any of the colours yet but I would still like to see how to use them properly before I do
I have had a search but didn't really find what I was looking for, but I did spend hours reading other stuff I came across along the way lol..

Thankyou, I am sure you will be hearing a looottttt more from me re; gels now... I am LOVING it

Hi,

I dont use brisa gel but when a client wants gel, but their lifestyle will affect their nails, I usually will offer L+P nails, with a gel coat. Their nails will have the strength and still will have the beautiful gel look!

I have long gel nails, and personally, I dont have any problems with them, and I have a very busy lifestyle!

hth x x

Hi peeps,
Just a few general questions I have regarding brisa and or general gel questions..

1) My best friend who was my model on my course has fallen in love with brisa gels, Now the only possible problem I can think is she likes the length of her nails quite long,
It is taking some getting used to but I realise gel nails are thinner overall than l&p nails,
So when doing some longer nails do I still keep them thinner overall, will the flexibility compensate for the length ?
Or do I build them slightly thicker overall as I would with Long l&p nails....
I'm thinking so far too thin will break easier and so will too thick as I will be taking away that flexibility the product needs.. I don't make them any thinner than I would with L&P, in fact I think there is a tendency with gels to make them too thin.

(If anyone has pictures of longer brisa nails from the side and barrel shot could you share with me please)

2) Bubbles... I haven't had many thankfully lol, But I have noticed the odd one every now and then, what is the best way to get rid of the bubble,
I have found I am trying to brush it out, but then end up pulling the product forward and spoiling my shape :mad: If you are using the brush supplied in your kit just use the very tip and stab the bubble - it will burst:)

3) does anyone know off the tops of their heads any good threads or web pages that give some good pointers for using the brisa shimmers
(I know it's important for me to learn the basics first....but you guy's know how I like to play :lol:)
and colours also,
I have the shimmers I dont have any of the colours yet but I would still like to see how to use them properly before I do
I have had a search but didn't really find what I was looking for, but I did spend hours reading other stuff I came across along the way lol..

I don't know of any where that teaches about shimmers & colours exactly. I refine the shape of the nail with a 180 as usual, remove all dust and with colour I apply 2 thin coats (curing each one) and then apply the top gloss. The trick is keeping them really thin in zone 3 as you are applying 3 more coats after you refine the nail.

With shimmers I either mix them into the colour, but as they are sheer this can dilute your colour, or put them over the top and again put top gloss over them, again a very light hand is required in zone 3

Thankyou, I am sure you will be hearing a looottttt more from me re; gels now... I am LOVING it

Hope this helps a bit:) - Update, I have now done a tutorial on all the different Brisa gels

Last edited:
Good advice from Adele who uses Brisa VERY well.

Gel nails do not need to be thinner than L&P. On a long nail you need to build the product for longevity.

NOW ... if you are wanting to just paint the gel on, say to a medium- length-already-strong nail (as folks do with Bio and Calgel ... in other words use it like a wrap) then that is also something you can do with Brisa and get the same result (which isn't particularly strong but doesn't need to be because the person already has strong nails).

Brisa is very versatile. You can use it in a variety of ways to achieve different results and degrees of flexibility. It is up to you as the technician to know when to do what in each case and make a judgment for that person. If you get it wrong .. then you need to adjust.

I've also just learnt brisa gel, I learnt how to use the Sculpting gel for a p&w but now I am completely confused about the colours, shimmers and the POW :irked:! Do you put a layer of clear over the whole nail, refine that and then put 2 layers of colour on then top coat, do you not need a clear over the colour?

Is this the same with the POW, put a layer of clear or pink, refine, then 2 thin layers of POW then clear then top coat! I think we need a Brisa tutorial, I've seen one on how to do the smile line with POW but would love one on how to do the whole thing.

Sorry if I'm being a little silly, just confused as usual lol xx

I've also just learnt brisa gel, I learnt how to use the Sculpting gel for a p&w but now I am completely confused about the colours, shimmers and the POW :irked:! Do you put a layer of clear over the whole nail, refine that and then put 2 layers of colour on then top coat, do you not need a clear over the colour? I build the nail and then refine to shape, if it a client who always wears colour, I use natural tips and clear gel for the whole nail. Then use 2 coats of colour and then the top gloss over that.

Is this the same with the POW, put a layer of clear or pink, refine, then 2 thin layers of POW then clear then top coat! Yes thats right, but you will need to refine the shape after the clear coat and before the top gloss
I think we need a Brisa tutorial, I've seen one on how to do the smile line with POW but would love one on how to do the whole thing.

Sorry if I'm being a little silly, just confused as usual lol xx

Hope this helps you :)

glad your loving the brisa emma !!

I build my L&P nails and brisa just the same, same science behind the product so treat them the same.
when doing a nno I still 'build' the nail in the same way, I've seen many gels look 'flat' and just look like a thick layer of enamel has been used, so even when I'm using brisa bolds on a short strong nail I still give the nail a 'spine' (not as thick as on a t&o or sculpt) but just enough to give the nail some 'shape' this will make a flat nail look thinner and more elegant also.

bubbles, I do just has Adele described, but also look at how you are taking the gel out of the pot make sure your not 'whipping' it up and make sure you've primed your brush with gel to get any air from your brush, when mixing bolds, I mixed the colour first (put it in the draw) do all the building work etc and then use the bolds, any bubbles will have settled, and take care when mixing not whip air into the mix. xx

brisa is so versatile there are many ways to use it, I have very weak natural nails so need the toughness of L&P but love wearing colour so wear brisa bold over L&P.
I mix alot I do add a touch of shimmers to my mix (warm shades - gold cool shades -sliver) it gives the mix more depth, I also mix sliver frost (which is semi sheer) to give the mix a pearl/ metallic feel xx or as Adele said use a coat over the colour for a more glitter effect.

to darken up the bolds (as we are waiting for the black to come in ) I mix green and red to get a very dark brown this added to the other colours will give you your darker shades, I mixed a very dark navy up the other day, by using this brown mix to the blue, and of course adding white to the mix will give you your pastel shades xxx
get the kids paints out Emma and see what colours you can get xx

Clara thats interesting that you say you build the brisa like you do L&P, I have never been very confident with my gel until I tried to build it like l&p and that seemed to work well....I achieved a much better shape...I was quite worried about heat spike but that didnt happen ......They didnt last too well but I do believe that was mostly down to my model biting them off..... daughter who didnt want gel!

Regarding mixing gel colours what sort of pot do you store these in, plastic/metal?

I really love the look of the Gel I bought some end of line cheapo colours from NEC to try on myself, so far so good...... Gel brush here I come lol

Get back to work....*whips Adele* :lol:
Good work mate btw x

Yes oh Mistress Judy................Adele scuffles back to treadmill:green:

Thankyou everyone :hug:
I have taken everything in, and will put it all into practicing my little @ss off !! :green:

One more question though,

Can someone Pm me with the prices they charge for a brisa gloss top coat ontop of l&p nails.
And a layer of the shimmers as a top coat over l&p ..I have just tried this on myself to see the colours (couldn't wait any longer)

I'm trying to get the cost per application up on cnd.com but its not working for some reason :cry:

I am LOVING the gel But also LOVING having something new and fresh to be passionate about learning lol...
Its dead exciting :green:

emma ...there is also a really good brisa video on the cnd website.
xx

Clara thats interesting that you say you build the brisa like you do L&P, I have never been very confident with my gel until I tried to build it like l&p and that seemed to work well....I achieved a much better shape...I was quite worried about heat spike but that didnt happen ......They didnt last too well but I do believe that was mostly down to my model biting them off..... daughter who didnt want gel!

Regarding mixing gel colours what sort of pot do you store these in, plastic/metal?

I really love the look of the Gel I bought some end of line cheapo colours from NEC to try on myself, so far so good...... Gel brush here I come lol
Intil you find something better I put my mixed color gels in a contact lens container (the ones that screw on and off) they keep nicely and can make up small amounts. Even the ones that have wuffles on the bottoms work. Probably doesn't look to professional though but my clients don't care, they love helping come up with their own colors and mixing it.

glad your loving the brisa emma !!

to darken up the bolds (as we are waiting for the black to come in ) I mix green and red to get a very dark brown this added to the other colours will give you your darker shades, I mixed a very dark navy up the other day, by using this brown mix to the blue, and of course adding white to the mix will give you your pastel shades xxx
get the kids paints out Emma and see what colours you can get xx
I've made a very pretty deep purple that looks black intil you get in the sun light with Brisa bold colors I mixed 3 big full scoops of Blue + 1 big full scoop of red + 1 big full scoop yelow and then added 2 drops of black enamel polish, if I would have mixed equal parts blue+red+yellow=brown and then added black I probably would have got a color looking closer to black. Also putting shimmer colors over them is very nice too. :)

Latest posts

Back