Spray Tanning - Sole and Palm Protection.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gelly

Reaction score
Good Morning!
Just wondered what your favourite methods are for protecting Soles and Palms when doing spray tans?

I have seen STICKY FEET sole protectors in one of my catalogues - they look good - thought they would be perfect during tanning parties? And I thought that Vaseline might be good for palms (get it off with a wipe afterwards?)

I've just learned spray tanning and have already had five happy customers - so am feeling quite pleased with myself and the product!
The only problem is that I also have one not so happy customer!! Luckily it is my Mum - so as awful as I feel, I can't help thinking thank God it was her! :lol:
Any way. She looks lovely all over, but her palms are a mess! I'm so sure I didn't spray her palms!.... I think she could have rubbed it onto them in her sleep? But all the speculation in the world isn't going to change the fact that she has tanned palms and it comes back to me!

So now I am thinking - If I had applied some kind of barrier to her palms before the treatment, there wouldn't be any speculation and I would be in the clear!

I have a tanning party next month and want to get this sorted before then - no way am I going to risk my rep by letting this happen to another client!

All reccommendations appriciated (sp?)

You can buy barrier cream from salonsdirect etc... but I use Hempz herbal moisturiser which is absolutely brilliant - it is just a particularly nourishing moisturising cream with a gorgeous smell and I use it along the heels and around the base of the foot, on the toes, on the wrists and on the fingernails... the knees and the elbows... at trade price it is £7.50 for a big pump bottle but it retails out at £14.99 and people love it.

.. I have never had a problem with needing to barrier cream the palms of the hands.. but when I finish with doing the wrists, I tend to wipe the excess off on the palms anyway.

I am sure any moisturiser will do.

I was trained to 'drift away from the front and back of arms as you reach the wrists. I just lightly mist over the hands at the end.

I don't use stickey feet (too pricey for me) I use 2 sheets of couch roll for each foot and ask clients to slide round on the flor of the tent as they move round.

I haven't had any problem with either of these things HTH:)

Same here with application technique. Sweep off wrists and ankles
Make a claw hand - Lightly mist over hands.
No need to apply a barrier cream to nails, palms or soles of the feet with the solution we currently use & love.

HtH

XX J XX

Same here with application technique. Sweep off wrists and ankles
Make a claw hand - Lightly mist over hands.
No need to apply a barrier cream to nails, palms or soles of the feet with the solution we currently use & love.

HtH

XX J XX

This is how I do it too.. never use barrier cream and hands and feet never get patches of dark solution in-between toes and fingers. The trick is to mist lightly over hands and feet.

I do use sticky feet as I find them very convenient. But if I run out then the couch roll works well, protecting the clients feet from any mist that as fallen to the floor. I gently wipe nails and inside of the wrist and palm with a tissue when I have finished just to doublely make sure there is no over spray on these areas.

This is the technique that I was taught too and as I said, all of the other clients I have had so far are Very happy. I am sure that I didn't spray Mums palms! I think that she transferd (sp?) it there by rubbing herself in her sleep.

Before this happend to Mum, I had not considered using a barrier. But after this it made me think - If a client has seen me put a barrier on their palms prior to application, then if something like this happens again, they know that it was not due to bad application!?
Hopefully it is clear what I mean?!!

I have not had any problems with feet (so far!). I thought that the sticky feet would be a good idea for use during a tanning party (they look quite professional too).

Out of interest, do any of you use those disposable 'shower cap' style hats?

I use the "shower caps" when people have blonde hair, or really long hair that isn't tied back.
I think you are right about your mum btw!

I supply hair bands for clients who just want their hair tied back. I always offer shower caps in case they take me up on the offer (as sassy said they are great for blondes)

I apply a moisturiser to the palms of the hands and soles of the feet, i use only a light mist around both these areas, when i'm done i use a baby wipe to remove the moisturiser...always works a treat!

Hiya
I use black towels for tanning

I put a clean towel down to start and then another for client to stand on and get changed
Never ever have i had orange or brown feet/soles

But loads of washing(worth it)

Jenx

Hiya
I use black towels for tanning

I put a clean towel down to start and then another for client to stand on and get changed
Never ever have i had orange or brown feet/soles

But loads of washing(worth it)

Jenx

I use big brown towels (i get them from asda, £6 each!)
I do the same as this, they stand on one as i'm spraying then i get them to step on to another while they get changed.....your right, loads of washing but its a great idea!!!

I use big brown or black bath mats they look the same as towels. I have found this to be the best as it also keeps the client standing in the right spot and not trying to edge to the back of the tent. I was thinking about getting the sticky feet but when the client steps out solution would have collected on the bottom and I don't want that on carpets. So I would prob still have to use towels if I used sticky feet.
I have had no problems with the bath mats/towels that I use. I also use normal moisturiser on hands and feet as I found the barrier cream i was using was acting as a total barrier.

Hi

I used dark towels with couch roll on top, just chuck away the couch roll and replace.

Make it clear to clients that they must not touch themselves after you have sprayed, otherwise it'll be on their palms.

With the feet don't over spray that'll avoid dark streaks and remember that fine particles will fall down onto feet.

With the hands, when doing front of arms get them to slightly bend their knuckles and don't overspray again. When doing back of arms get them to make a fist, same for the popeye stance.

Deb379

iv never used any type of barrier creams myself. give cleint a shower cap if they have bleached blonde hair as i have heard it can stain!! apart from that i do the usual 'claw' for the hands - which cleints think is ssoooo funny - yeah haha!! then with the feet i just have the doubled over couch roll. touch wood i have never had a rpiblem with any of these methods myself - happy spraying!!

tori xx

Yes shower cap every time no matter what colour their hair, and clear polish on all nails!

Deb379

Latest posts

Back