Spray-tanning the larger client

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Misspiggy9

Reaction score
I have a spray tan booked in for a larger client. I'm abit nervous as I want to do a good job but feel abit uncomfortable asking them to lift bits etc so I can spray everywhere? Has anyone got any tips and advice??

I'm sure you will cope fine and the customer is probably already aware that you'll have to do this anyway. Just do it tactfully and explain thats its necessary in order to get good, even coverage and give them the best possible tan.

when spraying a larger client (like me lol) its a good idea to dry the areas that touch, my arms touch my torso so sometimes i get a double bronzing under my bingo wings :confused:
we have found that if i raise my arm and dawn sprays from my elbow to my waist and then removes the gun from the machine and using the hose drys this area before i lower my arms this prevents the double rub off,
also with breasts we tell a client to raise there arms as high as they can and spray under the breast and stomach, or what you can see, we then dry that area before the client lowers there arms, same with the inner thighs we train to spray one thigh at a time with the the leg being sprayed forward, if you dry this area before they put there legs together that will prevent the double rub off on the bronzer
If you do get double rub off its nothing to worry about as it is only the guide colour and it will wash off and it wont affect the overall final results
there is no reason that with a little extra care that the results will not be just as good on a larger client than a slim one so be confident and dont worry

Last edited:
Just to add to the great advice already given. Often you will come across clients with folds on their back/waist - I ask the client to stretch their arm up to the opposite side to open up this area. Spray, dry off with air only then repeat for the other side. Stretching the body can often open up areas where the skin is folded discreetly and without embarrassment :hug:

Fantastic advice everyone!

Thanks for the advice I will be putting the tips into action tonight, Wish me luck!

Great advice....I have two larger ladies to spray tonight so had a few concerns! Luckily I remembered this post a while back so absolutely brill!! I'm also doing their nails too so a nice little booking :) xxxx

I don't know whether it is just the area that we are in but the clients who come to the girls for a tan usually say "don't forget to do under my boobs" and they then lift them up! sometimes they even lift their belly and then turn round and bend forward to avoid that white bit where their bum has dropped. :)

why do people do this? I have client whom ado this also, they bend over and ask you to spray there crease lines under bum,, and knees also,,,I think that the natural sun would not tan these bits naturally so why go out your way now lol...

OMG I sometimes onlt spray from shoulders up and knees down:eek: on myself that is,,lol what the eye cant see haha xx

why do people do this? I have client whom ado this also, they bend over and ask you to spray there crease lines under bum,, and knees also,,,I think that the natural sun would not tan these bits naturally so why go out your way now lol...

OMG I sometimes onlt spray from shoulders up and knees down:eek: on myself that is,,lol what the eye cant see haha xx

Maybe they are going on holiday? That's what I usually find when clients ask for this. They are usually worried that when they wear a swimsuit/bikini that other people are going to see their white bits under the bum!

Same with under the boobs as some brave ladies go topless out there lol.
That's what I find anyway :) xx

yes but as I said the sun would not reach these places naturally, iygwim, you dont lay in the sun holding your bum cheeks:), well I dont, or my boobs up, so why when getting sprayed do it??

amazes me,,really does, I never spray feet or hands either only lightly mist as esp the feet receive overspray. xx

yes but as I said the sun would not reach these places naturally, iygwim, you dont lay in the sun holding your bum cheeks:), well I dont, or my boobs up, so why when getting sprayed do it??

amazes me,,really does, I never spray feet or hands either only lightly mist as esp the feet receive overspray. xx

The aim of spray tan is that you replicate natural tanning, you need to spray hands and feet not just rely on overspray. You can do this subtly to ensure it looks natural. Some people think that if they are paying for it they are going to get their monies worth.

The aim of spray tan is that you replicate natural tanning, you need to spray hands and feet not just rely on overspray. You can do this subtly to ensure it looks natural. Some people think that if they are paying for it they are going to get their monies worth.

Yes hence why I only MIST as opposed to spray,,I find naturally the feet and hands dont go as brown as the rest of the body, I just adjust my density screw a little and spray little further and quicker when doing these areas to make it look natural,,,never ever had any complaints xx

I always spray the 'smile lines'. Yes the sun would not naturally spray these areas, but I think if a client is paying for a professional service then we should endeavour to give them the best tan we possible can.
I also wouldnt necessarily explain why im asking them to bend into certain positions, as this in itself can be embarrassing for the client. I simply say 'lean to the left /right' for back fat, 'lean forward from the waist' for smile lines, 'lean back and stretch up' for under bust. The client will know why you are saying this, so to point it out is not always helpful.

I always spray the 'smile lines'. Yes the sun would not naturally spray these areas, but I think if a client is paying for a professional service then we should endeavour to give them the best tan we possible can.
I also wouldnt necessarily explain why im asking them to bend into certain positions, as this in itself can be embarrassing for the client. I simply say 'lean to the left /right' for back fat, 'lean forward from the waist' for smile lines, 'lean back and stretch up' for under bust. The client will know why you are saying this, so to point it out is not always helpful.

Yes I do the same. Just dont as a rule do bum creases thats all, I do every other crease and very professionaly I do it aswell with up to 20 tans per week.

I was stating my opinion to my peers, obviously I would never tell a client my opinion if he she wanted her bum creased sprayed than I would gladly oblige:)

So glad this thread came up because I've just done my tan training :)

anywho, I was spraying my friend who has a very big bust & even when I told her to lean back slightly & raise her arms I couldn't get completely under her bust... what would you say in that case? like how could you put "Lift 'em up!" professionally? lol & If you did ask her to lift them would you have to do under the bust first? so that the palms of her hands wouldn't be stained?

Sorry if that's a stupid question :( I'm just new to the world of spray tanning

I think that the natural sun would not tan these bits naturally so why go out your way now lol...
While a natural tan wouldn't tan these parts as deeply, there wouldn't be the noticeable, abrupt line between the tanned and pale skin that is produced when spray tanning. I get the client to step forward and bend their leg at the knee and it is usually sufficient to eliminate the crease.

While a natural tan wouldn't tan these parts as deeply, there wouldn't be the noticeable, abrupt line between the tanned and pale skin that is produced when spray tanning. I get the client to step forward and bend their leg at the knee and it is usually sufficient to eliminate the crease.

JC, I was refering to under the bust on very large ladies and under bum cheeks of certain types of bums which have deep creases, I never mentioned the knees. I would also do as you do if my client had aged skin or has excess skin aroun knee areas, I also tell client to relax as sometimes if they tense there legs this will also cause creasing atthe knees.

As a general rule If client is quite large or and there bust is bery big or hangs down onto stomach I would just usually politely ask lady before you spray the upper body would she like to have under her bust sprayed and if so to hold them up whilst I sprayed the stomach area right up and then remove the hose from the gun and blow with warm air to allow to dry a little. Some ladies do not like this done I have found, so I do like to ask. When spraying the side of the body I will also pull off slightly by the bust so gets under aswell.

I would not spray bum crease on large ladies unless asked to do so as most people are not bothered about that aspect of two white lines under there bum you cant see anyhows really. But if asked then oblige and do as above

I give shower caps to my customers to put on there hands before lifting there boobs up, this stops barrier cream transfering from palms to boobs and stops overspray from getting too much on their hands:)

Latest posts

Back