Spray tanning the larger ladies back

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarahcutekitten

Reaction score
I Did a spray tan the other day on a lady who has a few crease on her back. I asked her to put her arms in the air to try and stretch them but it did'nt really make a difference :irked:. Can anyone suggest a way to stretch the back thus avoiding white lines.

Thanks Sarah

Last edited:
Yes you ask then to bend over or lift the creases! Its always a tough call to make as you feel like your offending them, but if shes comfortable enough to stand in front of you naked then tell her what you need her to do!

Dont be embarrased. I tell every client that whether there an 8 or 28 that they have folds or maybe boobs that they need to lift up so that you can get a proper tan.

I am sure your client would rather have a full tan for her money that little white folds of flesh!!

I work bottom up on larger ladies. Thus enabling them to lift any creases so I can tan under and also to lift there boobs too so I can under there too!

Make sure you clean off your clients palms though or let her wear gloves if you use a heavy spray machine as opposed to the fine mist.

Kate

Oh when I say bend (sounds wrong) examples are the bum folds, I ask them to bend forward slightly so I can get the crease there, then the side folds I ask them to bend to the left or right!

Bellys and boobs I get them to lift!

i normally dont bother as when it goes back down again you cant see the white bits anyway! you could spray them then dry it off with the hose before doing the rest she wouldnt tan under there in the sun anyway:confused:

I Did a spray tan the other day on a lady who has a few rolls of fat on her back. I asked her to put her arms in the air to try and stretch them but it did'nt really make a difference :irked:. Can anyone suggest a way to stretch the back thus avoiding white lines.

Thanks Sarah

Very simply just ask the client to put both arms in front of her at chest hight and ask her to squeeze her upper arms and elbows inwards towards her torso, this will automatically inflate her back enough for you to get to the line.

As for bottom smile lines.. please don't ask your client to bend over, its very uncomfortable for them to be undressed for you in the first place without asking them to bend over in front of your face! ... a very simple and unassuming way is to ask the client to simply step back with one foot.. which opens up one smile line - spray that, then ask her to step back with the other foot which opens up the other smile line. Easy as that and no further embarrassment for the client.

:hug:

i'm with you Cathill, I never get them to lift up boobs or stretch out rolls either! who's going to see under there when they let it all go again? and if they do then it'll just look even more natural lol

Thank you for the quick replies.

You say that it wouldn't tan there anyway but the last time I tanned her someone mentioned the smile lines on her bottom and this time her daughter-in-law told her she had white lines on her back (nice, I know). I am doing a top up tomorrow so I know she will mention it. I will try some of the techniques you have mentioned, thank for your help.

Sarah

Last edited:
oh my god if someone told me about the tan lines on my bottom id say you shouldnt be lookin!!!!!!!!!!!!hehehe dont get her to bend over thats just horrid!! the tan would rub off anyway surely if you sprayed it then the other bit rolled over it?? Blimey!! what does she do when shes sunbathing get someone to hold the flab up whilst it gets tanned?

I get clients for smile lines on bottoms to step forward and for the back..raise their arm and either bend slightly over to opp side or ask them to try and touch elbow to elbow; similar to the others

Every body is soooo different and body shapes and sizes are very testing but its great when weve finished:hug:

if she went on holiday she'd get the lines wouldnt she? cant see the difference? :eek:

When people lie in the sun to tan they rarely stay completely still and so those areas do get to see the sun. They may not be as tanned as the rest but they sure as heck don't have such a defined line as a spray tan does.

Sorry but you may as well say only do half a job in all your treatments. Doing a thorough job is why people will go back to you, it's what will enhance your reputation and get you repeat business ... SO GO THAT EXTRA MILE AND GIVE YOUR CLIENTS WHAT THEY ARE PAYING FOR!

If you ask your client to move so you can tan all areas they will know exactly what you mean, so don't worry about having to find the words so as not offend. And do not ask the client to hold their boobs etc, it is the perfect way for them to get tangoed palms. Ask them first and then, with confidence, do the job for them. if you do your job properly they will not be embarassed.

Oh and just remember that we get one hell of a lot of clients on this site who may be put off having a spray tan with some of the rather personal wording on this thread. This is not a staff room, it is an open forum available for all the world to see so please don't forget it.

Very simply just ask the client to put both arms in front of her at chest hight and ask her to squeeze her upper arms and elbows inwards towards her torso, this will automatically inflate her back enough for you to get to the line.

As for bottom smile lines.. please don't ask your client to bend over, its very uncomfortable for them to be undressed for you in the first place without asking them to bend over in front of your face! ... a very simple and unassuming way is to ask the client to simply step back with one foot.. which opens up one smile line - spray that, then ask her to step back with the other foot which opens up the other smile line. Easy as that and no further embarrassment for the client.

:hug:
This by far the most effective method and least embarrassing for the client

:hug:[/quote]

This is a fantastic way of doing it! I tend to ask them to bend knees a bit, kind of semi squat, (this opens the smiles, lol) but if you dont have buns of steel, can be a bit uncomfortable, lol. I love this way, thank you

Last edited:
When people lie in the sun to tan they rarely stay completely still and so those areas do get to see the sun. They may not be as tanned as the rest but they sure as heck don't have such a defined line as a spray tan does.

Sorry but you may as well say only do half a job in all your treatments. Doing a thorough job is why people will go back to you, it's what will enhance your reputation and get you repeat business ... SO GO THAT EXTRA MILE AND GIVE YOUR CLIENTS WHAT THEY ARE PAYING FOR!

If you ask your client to move so you can tan all areas they will know exactly what you mean, so don't worry about having to find the words so as not offend. And do not ask the client to hold their boobs etc, it is the perfect way for them to get tangoed palms. Ask them first and then, with confidence, do the job for them. if you do your job properly they will not be embarassed.

Oh and just remember that we get one hell of a lot of clients on this site who may be put off having a spray tan with some of the rather personal wording on this thread. This is not a staff room, it is an open forum available for all the world to see so please don't forget it.

I dont see it as doing half a job at all and my clients get a good service and certainly not half a service! I get loads of customers returning to me so they obviously dont see it as not getting their moneys worth because they have white lines under their bottom that they probably wouldn't even notice were there anyway! I also get a lot of recommendations which says a lot for my reputation...

Are you suggesting that to avoid tangoed hands that we lift the boobs for our customers?

I have read back through the posts on this thread and I personally cant see what anyone would be offended by?

If you get your client to decrease the folds does the tan not just stick there? I did my course only a while ago and we were told a client would end up with patchy tan under their boobs if we asked them to lift them up... Is that right?

I have some 'heavy' bosomed ladies who don't want under their breasts tanning but I also have similar sized clients who do. I give them the option.

How I do it is - BEFORE any tanning on their torso (so they don't get tan on the hands yeah?), I ask the client to lift up their bust by placing their fingers over their nipples with their finger tips and lift, then I extremely lightly mist under each bosom across the body line pulling further back than normal. I then ask them to let their bust fall again and continue to spray their torso from the brief line UP towards the bust. When the client is not so heavy busted, I just ask them to place both arms in the air and this lifts them up enough for me to lightly spray beneath. The lighter the spray the better... it will definately be patchy if you spray in the normal way or too wet. Less is definately more.

Its about given the client the choice.. I always mention that sometimes skin to skin might look darker and not fade as well, and then they make the choice if they want the underside of their bosoms doing or not.

As for smile lines and creases in backs, I always do these without asking.. if I can see a white line then someone else could... not a good look in my opinion.

I think i might of been the one to offend by saying flab appologies!! :cry:i think if your going to spray these areas you just have to make sure its done lightly and that you dry the area off abit with the air from the hose befor carrying on!. Everyone has thier own way of doing things i m really busy with tans and have been doing it for 4 years now i have loads of regulars and they never feel asif im giving them half a service infact ive just this second booked one in from a reccomendation so each to their own happy tanning!!!!!!!:lol:

When I said bend over to get the bum smile lines I didnt mean completly. But I would never ever send my client home with with lines when they have paid for a proper job. Its not a case of whether they tan there normally or not but giving the client a full and proper service whatever there size!

I had a hell of a lot of larger ladies come to me, because they felt comfortable in front of me naked. They had been to several salons that made them feel inferior and uncomfortable because of their size.

Just imagine how that client actually feels when she comes to you in the first place whether they are small or large, it isnt the most comfortable feeling I agree, I have been there. But asking her to lift her creases to tan inbetween is far better as she feels more comfortable with you and your abilities.

Have you never thought these women you leave white lines on either think this is normal or are too embarrased to say anything?

I always consult with my clients prior to the treatment and I ask them what they are most comfortable with i.e fully naked, or wearing their own undies or wearing my disposables.

I explain about creases and white lines and how I do the tan so they are comfortable when they are in front of me. Some ladies feel more comfortable with me doing the traditional rub on tan, and they certainly dont get left with white lines with that tan neither!

A client having a tan is stood upright but in front of their friends, partners or on holiday they will natually bend over or stretch up putting those bits you missed firmly on show!

I'm lucky I am a size 12 but I have a C-Section scar that I have to lift up and I certainly wouldnt return to anyone that left me with white bits - my partner would have a laughing fit at me for a start!

I am not a skinny minny, I am a size 16 and I would be more embarrassed if someone asked me to lift up my stomach so that they can get underneath it!
I dont understand how asking someone to 'lift their creases' makes them feel confident? :eek: if they are anything like me they will be wanting the floor to swallow them up!

I also get a lot of larger ladies who feel comfortable with me, probably more so as I am not skinny and they dont feel awkward standing in front of me undressed like they probably would if I were a size 8 or something (that'll be the day!)

what about the solution that you spray in their creases getting darker because it is in contact with other skin/solution? that is just as bad as a white line surely? what about the ladies who wear full knickers instead of a thong or naked? they get a white line where there underwear is that is right where the bum line would be, should we ask them to pull their knickers up a bit so no-one sees their tan line if they happen to bend over on the beach?

Think we'll have to agree to differ on this one... I know I do a good job and I dont need preaching to , I certainly don't cut corners and they do get a good service, think you are all over reacting to this a bit :rolleyes:

I'm really sorry, I didn't mean to upset anyone :rolleyes:. I was just after a bit of advise.
I just finished said ladies tan and she didn't even mention it and was over the moon with her top up.

Thanks again for all advice and comments.

Sarah x

Latest posts

Back