Spray tans in the name of research!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So debs after this which tan are you going for? X

Oh just saw u wrote it above. I'm thinking of changing my la tab to sienna or nouvatan. I had a sienna rep out doing a trial and I must say its a lovely colour on.

thanks to this thread ive decided to train with nouvatan booked on my course on the 31st march!! cant wait thanks again debs for posting this thread really helped me out! :) x

The test and results are interesting.

What skin type would you say you have though, I feel that some of those brands would require you to go at least 1 shade darker to see the results you would expect.

I know if I did that test on my very fair skin, all of those brands at 10% or 12% would all go orange.

The test and results are interesting.

What skin type would you say you have though, I feel that some of those brands would require you to go at least 1 shade darker to see the results you would expect.

I know if I did that test on my very fair skin, all of those brands at 10% or 12% would all go orange.

I have dry skin but I dont tan easily in the sun, I go a golden colour. I only had the 10% in some solutions so thats why I used them for some and not others, but I can just about get away with 12% OMG without going too orange, I love LA Tan 12% on me as its a gorgeous colour but it just doesnt wash off well on me. I actually think 12% sienna is too dark for me but when I have 12% nouvatan no one really comments that I have had a fake tan so I tend to stick with this for myself. I tried Fresh Indulgence 11.5 but it looked too peachy on me and was very similar to Nouvatan 8% but it washed off after pretty much one wash. I guess I need at least 12 for it to look like I have it on for more than 1 wash.

i've trialled a few brands recently including some real high end ones and cheaper 1's and found Nouvatan and sienna the best too. I've trialled on different skin types-top halves and legs-on extremely pale-light and olive skin. I found nouvatan 8% to be the only one i could get to come out on deadly white skin and look good-turned my daughters legs a believable tan colour-impressing as she looked a wierd yellowy colour in Sienna. I like Sienna particulary on warmer skin tones- the colour is lovely and golden. I couldn't decide between the 2 and decided to stock both but if i had to choose- Nouvatan would be the winner-purely as it seems to suit ALL skin tones and theres a good choice of dha%'s. Pleased to see these results-gives me even more product confidence :)

i've trialled a few brands recently including some real high end ones and cheaper 1's and found Nouvatan and sienna the best too. I've trialled on different skin types-top halves and legs-on extremely pale-light and olive skin. I found nouvatan 8% to be the only one i could get to come out on deadly white skin and look good-turned my daughters legs a believable tan colour-impressing as she looked a wierd yellowy colour in Sienna. I like Sienna particulary on warmer skin tones- the colour is lovely and golden. I couldn't decide between the 2 and decided to stock both but if i had to choose- Nouvatan would be the winner-purely as it seems to suit ALL skin tones and theres a good choice of dha%'s. Pleased to see these results-gives me even more product confidence :)

Same here, I give sienna to darker types, but I have loved Nouvatan 20% too, going to try 16 nouvatan on myself (yikes)

Hey, I love this idea! Would happily volunteer as a guinea pig if anyone fancied trying this out but didn't want to do it on themselves.

2, 5 and 6 for me

Hey, I love this idea! Would happily volunteer as a guinea pig if anyone fancied trying this out but didn't want to do it on themselves.

Lol, think I've started a new trend, spotty legs!!

Can I ask how you applied this to your skin? Was it rubbed in, dripped on and left to soak in etc as I doubt it has been sprayed on.

The reason I ask is that depending on how you applied the solutions will affect how they come up on the skin (ie solution rubbed into the skin will absorb more of the colour guide, more would be applied to that particular area of the skin than if sprayed on and would come up much darker than an all over spray).

It is very difficult to get a true indication of the colour and depth of a "spray tan" and the final result unless it is actually sprayed onto the skin in the amounts which would normally be applied on a client.

Can I ask how you applied this to your skin? Was it rubbed in, dripped on and left to soak in etc as I doubt it has been sprayed on.

The reason I ask is that depending on how you applied the solutions will affect how they come up on the skin (ie solution rubbed into the skin will absorb more of the colour guide, more would be applied to that particular area of the skin than if sprayed on and would come up much darker than an all over spray).

It is very difficult to get a true indication of the colour and depth of a "spray tan" and the final result unless it is actually sprayed onto the skin in the amounts which would normally be applied on a client.

Good point! Maybe it would be a good idea to do a similar test on someone's back or chest, where there is a larger surface area, with larger areas of tan sprayed on?

Good point! Maybe it would be a good idea to do a similar test on someone's back or chest, where there is a larger surface area, with larger areas of tan sprayed on?

I personally would test 2 solutions against each other at a time spraying one arm and one leg with one solution and the other arm and leg with another if trialling on myself. You can then analyse the colour guides, developed colour, longevity of tan and fading in direct comparison and on a larger surface skin area. This would also give a better indication of the "spray tan" than if applied on a small area by rubbing in.

Pick the one that comes up trumps out of those 2 and then trial that against the next one.

Remembering too that it is a tan that works on your clients (not necessarily on you) that will make you money so it is actually best to trial tans on several different skin types who you can get to check in with you on a regular basis.

This is true, to get the best results and compare spray tans, it would be even better to actually spray the solution on the skin. However i would have thouhht this 'experiment' was fair to the point that (I'm presuming) all tans were applied in the same way, so they can be compared to each other? X

I shook all of the solution bottles then applied using a cotton pad (as this would soak back some of the solution) so no, it would not be quite the same results as spraying as its slightly more concentrated but all solutions were applied in the same way :) Unfortunately I do not have enough body parts to spray larger areas (and I'd look like a cut and shut car several different shades in public!). I did this experiment on a body part big enough to show several patches and one I could photograph daily (so didn't use my back). I did use the same amount for each patch and left the same amount of time before I washed off and washed off using the same amount of soap and pressure. I do state that you should obtain samples for testing for yourself as different skin types do vary and each will have their own preference.

In answer to this I have also trialled these on different people when I first got back into spraying back last year. I also state you should try the samples for yourself as some people prefer golden tones, bronze tones or brown tones. I am not saying the results will come out exactly the same for every skin type or last the same amount of washes. Hth ;)

I think it was a great idea and although none were actually sprayed on they were all applied in the same way so it still shows which one lasts longer/looks better on your body

Think Nouvatan smashed this test on the final results closely followed by sienna I have been using it a few months now. It's not as pricey as the rest but it's a top quality solution. And I get loads of repeat business

Hi ladies,

For those of you that stock more than one brand.. to ensure customers get either the 'golden' or 'brown' look that they would normally get with a natural tan...

How does this work? if some said they usually get a golden tan and someone who says their natural tan is brown.. ? Im blonde and go a golden brown naturally? as apposed to a friend was goes very brown brown in the sun??

any advice/feedback would be appreciated

Latest posts

Back