Stopping Smoking

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter Pan

Too sexy to be old geek
Premium Geek
Reaction score
has anyone tried the zyban? ive just started them 2 days ago and wondered if anyone had a good result, i have been on champix and they worked - i stopped for 4 month but the wieght gain got in the way, any hints on on to stop the weight gain.

the problem i have is that i dont eat enough - which is normal for me, and when i go on a diet i put weight on, so am thinking, stop smoking, you eat more, whether it celery, carrots etc, i always put weight on

i need hints/tips to stop this - otherewise im gonna fail at stopping yet again

it took me three attempts to stop for good. You have to be really ready in your mind or you will fail. Maybe increase your exercise if you are worried about weight gain?

Good luck!

As I have said before, I was the worlds worst smoker - absolutely compulsive and I am too embarrassed to tell you how many I smoked/ate!

I tried everything, including Zyban but in the end it was just willpower and sheer disgust at my addiction. I have now not smoked for about 7/8 years. Yes I am a lot plumper but I sure would rather be a plump non-smoker than a skinny, grey looking dull smoker.

Zyban was originally used as an anti-depressant but medics noticed that people who were prescribed it for depression also lost weight in a lot of instances.

I paid for Zyban from my doctor. He didn't examin me or take my blood pressure or monitor me (which I understand should be the case). After taking Zyban for c4 days you are supposed to lose the desire to smoke. Not me - I still puffed away as bad as ever. However, I didn't feel good. My legs felt really heavy after a few days taking it and I stopped because I didn't feel it was good for me - worse than the fags! I subsequently learned through the media etc that people have died on it. Yes only a small number, but I don't think enough care is taken when giving people Zyban.

Maybe someone will give you positive feedback but my experience was such that I would not advise anyone to take it.

You are a strong cookie G. You really want to give up and have done before but the weight gain got in the way. You say you don't eat properly. You have to eat to have the energy to burn the weight off. Start eating a healthy diet. Stop thos fags (you can do it again) and just get on with it. Hopefully the weight will balance out.

Stay strong and go for it! (Sorry I couldn't be more positive about Zyban) xx:hug:

My hubby took the Zyban for about a month and they sent him doolally tap....hallucinations, wierd dreams and feeling like he wasn't in his own body.

He's a bit mental generally....but this definately wasn't him!

They did stop him smoking whilst he was on them though but the side effects made him stop taking them.

I would recommend Slimming World for the weight, it's an easy diet. I have lost 6 lbs in 2 weeks, didn't weigh last week but I know I have lost more, will know on Tuesday.

Good luck xxx

My partner also tried Zyban. It worked great! Hes been smoking for 20 odd years and it worked so well. You carry on smoking whilst your taking them for the first two weeks or something like that.

Yes there can be quite bad sideaffects like the dreams, hallucinating etc.... Not everyone gets them, some do some dont.

Maybe worth a try :) xx

has anyone tried the zyban? ive just started them 2 days ago and wondered if anyone had a good result, i have been on champix and they worked - i stopped for 4 month but the wieght gain got in the way, any hints on on to stop the weight gain.

the problem i have is that i dont eat enough - which is normal for me, and when i go on a diet i put weight on, so am thinking, stop smoking, you eat more, whether it celery, carrots etc, i always put weight on

i need hints/tips to stop this - otherewise im gonna fail at stopping yet again

Hi, I've not tried Zyban but I did quit smoking. The key to the weight gain is you have GOT to move. Take a walk every day. I didn't do this and I gained quite a bit of weight. To this day, I have not lost it. :cry:

Keep up the good work! It's better to be a little chubbier NON-smoker than a slimmer smoker! I wish you the VERY best! :hug:

Hi hun, zyban made Paul so angry it was frightening to be around him, he did better with champix but, well, Kay came home with breakdown and that was that, he started again and so did I and I'd been stopped for 12 years:irked:
All that apart I have met many people who have had great sucssess with zyban.
On the weight gain side, what you have to be aware of is in stoppping smoking you don't want to subsitute another addiction to replace the smoking one, so its all about being aware of why you are eating, are you really hungry? or fighting the urge to smoke? Distraction works well or sugar free gum. Also drinking water, good for the skin and helping the body flush toxins.
Good luck G:hug:

I gave up 11 years ago after being hypnotised. It worked immediately and I've never even been tempted since, but the hypnotherapis forgot to tell my subconscious not to compensate by overeating .... still trying to get rid of the weight I gained ..... xx

I havent tried the zyban or champix not allowed due to my other meds, Hubby quit smoking in jan of this year with champix and he hasnt gained any weight at all and he smoked 40+ a day.
I am due to try and give up again tomorrow I have the new 25mg patchs and the new icy white gum I hate the fact that I smoke but am a total addict.
Good Luck G xxxxxxx

I gave up 11 years ago after being hypnotised. It worked immediately and I've never even been tempted since, but the hypnotherapis forgot to tell my subconscious not to compensate by overeating .... still trying to get rid of the weight I gained ..... xx

I went to a hypnotist, too. I quit in 1991. Being hypnotized really made it MUCH easier. I was a three pack a day smoker. I can't imagine doing it cold turkey!

I'm still struggling with the weight, too...

I would love a reccomendation for a good stop smoking hypno, anyone know of any midland based ones??

I tried Zyban a few years ago for about a month and never again will I use them, I had a really bad time with them, basically it felt like I was on anphetamines permanatley, its was making me feel so ill because of lack of sleep.
Instances were::I'd be really tired, go to bed, not sleep a wink, toss and turn all night,every night, get up next day, do all usual stuff in zombie mode, totally exhausting experience, and this went on for a month, I took myself off them in the end, had to, I was a mess.
But the worst was that I'd heard( cant remember is it was the nurse that told me ?) but there was an instance were a man had been taking them and had a heart attack whilst driving, apparently( dont know if true ?) but this can be a side effect or maybe he had underlying problems anyway ? .

As Urbangeek said, I think will power is the key, I'm about to embark trying to give up again, need to sike myself up, I've nearly done it before, but will be more determined this time, plus I have an alterior motive to give up:lol:

I gave up with zyban, both and my husband and I had them he went a bit doolally couldnt drive his car he had no confidence and i got chest pain with them, so we both stopped them. I stopped smoking he carried on quit for 4 year and started again in december

Latest posts

Back