Tattoo advice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waffle4

Reaction score
Hi, I know many geeks on here have tattoos so just after a bit of advice please. I had a cover up tattoo on my arm last Thursday and for the past few days I've had some flaking with the ink colour. I'm now panicking as I haven't ever had this happen before with previous tattoos. Is this normal? Will it need retouching? Why is this happening? I'm gently washing the tattoo with just tepid water 3 times a day then applying bepanthen cream. I'm letting the air get to it as much as I can too. Just worried the whole things gonna be ruined - very alarming seeing flakes of black ink! Any advice please geeks?
Thanks x

I've had three tattoos and mine have always flaked with the colour of the tattoo and healed fine. You are following the right aftercare if your really unsure ask a tattooist. X

Yep- I've an entire sleeve of blank ink, and it's normal. Looooads came off mine.

Same thing happened with mine too and it healed fine. Dont be worrying about it :)

Totally normal - don't panic.

Ps: you really don't need to wash it 3 times a day. And don't over-cream it either. I only ever put a bit of cream on if it's feeling tight. Keep it as dry as possible and no baths or swimming for at least 3-4 weeks.

x

I had a big tattoo done on my upper thigh all the way round and I washed it with just warm water and soap no sponges just with the block of soap. And then applied bepanthen cream on and when I used to apply the cream and gently apply I used to get little black flaky bits and it is panicking at first but it's nothing to worry as long as your not vigour-sly rubbing it :)

Good luck hope all goes well x

Aww thanks geekies that's made me feel so much better! I really was panicking! I've just ordered a tin of tattoo goo and gonna use that instead of bepanthen as I'm worried its so thick the air can't get to it. Have any of you used tattoo goo? Is it better than bepanthen?
Thanks ever so much :) x

My boyfriend has a number of tattoos including a whole sleeve and he swears by bepanthen and was advised by his tattooist to use it. :)

Im designing a quarter sleeve for myself at the moment. Excited and nervous!!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

My fella just had his latest tattoo addition done last week and TBH there wasnt much flaking he was advised to use soap & water to wash it with & then put bepanthen on & wrap with cling film for 3 days so that it absorbs it & the results now are amazing :D

Attachments

• photo copy 10.JPG
    photo copy 10.JPG
    57.8 KB · Views: 127
Ive used tattoo goo and found bepanthen better. Goo is much like vaseline. My latest healed and looks perfect using bepanthem x

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

Ive got alot of tattoos and they all flaked! Like fish food haha :) nothing to worry about tho. Bepanthen is the best to use and even though it seems thick you only need to put a very thin layer on so that your not getting the area moist xx

I'd cancel that order If I were you! Tattoo Goo is a bit rubbish.

Bepanthen is absolutely the best thing to use (and it's cheaper) but don't over do it. It's totally normal to have it flaking off! It's just excess ink and dead skin.

I don't like bepanthen but that is just me (I don't like the texture, nothing to do with how well it works). If it works for you (and I know a lot of people like it) then stick with it.

I just use a light lotion that I already had, nothing too perfumey.

Bepanthen is the best to use and even though it seems thick you only need to put a very thin layer on so that your not getting the area moist xx

Warm it up first on a radiator or use your hairdryer & then apply it :D

Warm it up first on a radiator or use your hairdryer & then apply it :D
Spot on! Much easier to apply when its runny as it will spread easy xx

Great tips girls! Ok ill warm up the bepanthen cream before applying. Yes my flakes look like fish food too! Was worried coz its mainly coming off the stalk part of the tattoo.
Below is a pic of the tattoo just done - it looks much better in real life as has lots of flecks of white in it too. It's covered over a manky rose I had about 20 years ago lol

So shall I hold off the tattoo goo? X

Look really cute.

Cancel the tattoo goo.As you know I'm smothered in tattoos and all you need to do is wash it once a day Luke warn water and some soap and put bepanthen cream on and when it's absorbed and starts feeling dry put it on again.You don't want it to dry out you want it nice and moist but not to moist if you know what I mean.Don't let it dry.xxx

Look really cute.

Cancel the tattoo goo.As you know I'm smothered in tattoos and all you need to do is wash it once a day Luke warn water and some soap and put bepanthen cream on and when it's absorbed and starts feeling dry put it on again.You don't want it to dry out you want it nice and moist but not to moist if you know what I mean.Don't let it dry.xxx

Okie dokie ill give the tattoo goo a miss and do what you advise thanks :)
I think I'm just panicking coz of seeing all these black flakes (like fish food lol). Plus coz it didn't hurt when I had it done I'm worrying that they never drew it deep enough! lol
Maybe I'm just brave hahaha x

I've got a few (big one on my back) took 10 hours and didn't hurt in fact I love the feel of having a tattoo. I'm sure I'm not the only one :)
But oh the itching can drive you bonkers.

Mmmm feeling another tattoo coming on. Yikes
Vicki x

Latest posts

Back