Test your hair knowledge

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll throw out a couple that my students recently had-
The foundation of every hair cut is it's___________
Ammonium Thioglycolate cannot be used with which other common salon chemical, glyceralmonothyioglycolate or sodium hydroxide? THESE ARE HAIR RELAXERS AND ARE ALKALINES...NOT HEARD OF GLYCERALMONOTHYIOGLYCOLATE
Length arrangement in a hair sculpture allows you to determine what?

I'll check back tomorrow to see if these have been answered and you all can play stump the instructor!!!
AMMONIUM THIOGLYCOLATE AND SODIUM HYDROXIDE ARE HAIR RELAXERS..ALKALINES...NOT HEARD OF THE OTHER ONE
WILL HAVE TO GET ME BOOKS OUT OVER THE OTHERS

Ammonium Thioglycolate cannot be used with which other common salon chemical, glyceralmonothyioglycolate or sodium hydroxide?

I'll check back tomorrow to see if these have been answered and you all can play stump the instructor!!!

Hi hope this is close to what it could be :hug:

foundation = Shape

Soduim hydroxide contains metallic salts and lye which cannot be used with ammonium thioglycollate ,

sculpting over in the uk we say cutting is that what sculpting is ?

The areas that needs cutting to achieve the completed style :hug: or
sculpting does that mean an up do ?
if so perhaps that would assist with the placement of the hair sculpt ,

never heard of sculpting much over here , so just guessing . x

Ammonium Thioglycolate cannot be used with which other common salon chemical, glyceralmonothyioglycolate or sodium hydroxide?

One question at a time Mrs :lol:

I'll be checking back on this one,could hazard a guess but the terminology is so different,you could be refering to a cut a blow for all i know :D

:hug:

Howdy ,
what colour on your colour circle subdues the red tone ?

Howdy ,
what colour on your colour circle subdues the red tone ?

Are we gonna wait for Jenni so we only have one question on the go at a time ? lol

Green/ash :D (oh and will you pleeease enable your rep :lol:)

Are we gonna wait for Jenni so we only have one question on the go at a time ? lol

Green/ash :D (oh and will you pleeease enable your rep :lol:)

Oh Hi yes sorry Becki didnt realize ,

and I am so naff at computers I dont even know what enable your rep means ,or how to do it :eek:

:o go into your cp thingy or ask someone else,cos i'm terrible too :o

it's a great way just for us to say thanks or i agree,and you contribute a lot,why should you see us showing our appreciation ?

oh i won't ask a q i'll wait for Jenni

The foundation of every hair cut is it's form or length arrangement/structure

Ammonium Thioglycolate and Glyceralmonothioglycolate are the common reduction agents in perm solution, both of these chemicals break the disulfide bond between the sulfurs allowing them to be rebonded in a slightly different location, curly or straight depending on the service that is being done. Perming or relaxing.

Sodium Hydroxide is a commonly used chemical in hair relaxers, it is a very high alkaline product that is reserved for extremely kinky, curly or coarse curly hair. Sodium Hydroxide breaks the disulfide bond between the sulfur and central carbon resulting in an entirely new amino acid. Once this bond is broken the disulfide bond cannot be reformed. Sodium hydroxide relaxers are not safe to use with high lift tints, bleaches and some permanent hair color systems.

Mixing Ammonium Thioglycolate or Glyceralmonothioglycolate and Sodium Hydroxide results in a fairly common over the counter hair removal product- one popular brand name- NAIR.

Hair Sculpting is the same as hair cutting- just sounds more professional, most people can't sculpt at home without training, but they can cut- Length arrangement allows you to determine how the hair was projected or elevated and the angles used to sculpt (cut) that design. Length arrangement is something we analyze with out realizing that's what we are doing when we are trying to figure out what the last person did to their hair.

Pretty good answers so far- I'll check back later to see what else has been asked:hug:

exellent explaination Jenni :hug:

even some of that terminology is way different,we sometimes forget this is an international site :o

even some of that terminology is way different,we sometimes forget this is an international site :o

Help me out, I'm willing to learn another "language" American is my first, but I'll go for English as my 2nd:lol:

Okey doke - I can't answer many questions about the technical side of hair colouring - but this is an easy one as it has been asked on the site before :green:

How do you obtain the lightest colour blonde? like a platinum/ash blonde ????

Blimey - I'm so frazzled I can't even remember what the correct terminology is :lol:

:hug::hug::hug:

Okey doke - I can't answer many questions about the technical side of hair colouring - but this is an easy one as it has been asked on the site before :green:

Blimey - I'm so frazzled I can't even remember what the correct terminology is :lol:

just started theory over colouring well assisting for level one but getting into all the H2O2 percentages etc so i wanna know too...lol

i would said very slowly!! lol
if you are not blonde to start with naturally!!! lmao

funny thing about platinum/ash blonde...not everyone can get there. Dark natural bases from level 1 black to about level 4 Dark brown, can't ever quite get to platinum.

Levels 5-7 would require bleaching to a pale yellow and toning, possibly with a permanent or ammoniated color and 20 volume or 6%.

Levels 7 and above can be bleached and a pastel toner used.

Levels 8 and above can be lifted with a highlift tint and 40 volume 12%

Some helpful hair color hints-
The color or pigment you have + the color or pigment you choose is what you will see. When have lightened, your toner must be as strong or "dark" as your unwanted tone.

4 "rules" to consider when coloring-
Determine Natural/exsisting level(s)
Determine Desired level(s)
Pigment you will encounter or need to add
Formulas and application techniques

I require my students to answer those before we consult and mix color. I may be mean but at least my students are ahead of the game when it comes to color. Laying out the roadmap from the 4 rules helps them figure out where they are starting from, where they want to go and what they will either see or need to put back along the way. I'm not going to be around forever and I'm certainly not following them to the salon- I work hard enough here!!!

just started theory over colouring well assisting for level one but getting into all the H2O2 percentages etc so i wanna know too...lol
10 volume 3%
20 volume 6%
30 volume 9%
40 volume 12%

In the states we generally do not use higher than 40 volume (12%) but there are no laws or regulations against it. (freakishly crazy to use higher than that IMHO)

Rule of thumb-
10 vol.- upto one level lightening when mixed with permanent color, most affective at developing/depositing color
20 vol.- equal lift and deposit; up to 2 levels lightening with regular permanent color; grey coverage; most commonly used
30. vol- upto 3 levels lightening with permanent color; little deposit of artificial color, can be used for resistant grey when presoftening or using a dye loaded formula (2X as much dye as normal- aka bristle mix)
40 vol.- upto 4 levels lift with permanent color, very little if any deposit of pigment, typically used with highlift tints, most manufacturer's use 2X developer when mixing highlift tints.

KEEP IN MIND THESE ARE GENERAL RULES!!!! Not all manufacturer's use the same guidelines and may formulate their lines slightly different, always be sure to read the directions before mixing.

Wow Jeni - no wonder you rocked at your exams :green:

Thank you so much for helping on the thread :hug:

Come on Hair Geeks - help Jo and Nik out by giving them questions that both they and others may be able to answer :lol:

Jeni and Becki - don't think you have escaped - come on we want more :lol::hug::lol:

What is the difference between permanent,quasi and semi permanent hair colours ?

semi-last 6 to 8 shampoos they arent mixed with h202 and have large molecules thatsit on the surface of the hair, you cannot lighten with a semi, and shouldnt really be used on pourous or bleached hair, great to intro duce someone to colour
quasi- lasts up to 12 washes and is mixed with a developer the molecules are then able to penetrate deeper in the hair, no regrowth and they do require a skin test 48hrs before.
permanent- have smaller molecules which penetrate deeper into the hair they are mixed with h202 and when applied the hair shaft sweels to prepare for pigmentation and also starts the oxidation process. permanent can lighten and darken, add tone and depth permanent dyes conatin ppd so again a skin test is used usually with 1.0 as this contains the most pigment.
have only touched the surface yet as my unit is assisting h2

ok heres one i remeber , lol ,
define alopecia totalis , alopecia areata & alopecia universalis :green:

criky reading this is a real memory jogger thanks girls , :green:

Alopecia is the technical name for baldness- totalis=entire head, areata=small patches, universalis=entire body

Alopecia totalis is most commonly found in men affected by male pattern baldness and while rare in women still can be found as they age. Women lose approximately the same amount of hair as men, but it is generally through out the entire scalp while men lose it predominately on top.

Alpecia areata can be caused by stress, trauma or auto immune deficency, once the stressor is removed the hair ususally grows back.

Alopecia universalis is extremely rare and is believed to be caused by an auto immune disorder, there have not been enough research to determine or find a distinct cause or treatment.

Latest posts

Back