The hair dressers cant stand the smell!!!!!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hello_kitty

Reaction score
i have just started in a hair dressers and they cant stand the smell of the acrylic, i dont notice how bad it is cos ive worked with it in salons for years! but the table as extrafan in it! i only use as my liqud as i need my damper dish had a lid on it n i have a bin with a lid n empty it after ever client! i need to find something to stop them moning about it cos they open the door n makes the area cold n my acrylic is gettin afeted by the cold! x

I know hwo you feel, I had to stop using acryic in the salon and just use gel ( I didnt stay there for long !) even then they used to moan about the smell of the flipping sanatizer !!!

Thing is I'm a hairdresser and I'm sure I more more tolerent of thing than they all were :eek:

How long have you been there for?
The reason I ask is because you do get used to the smell in my opinion. I used to get a headache when I first started using it and now I dont really smell it all at all. So im sure after a while they will also.
Yes-having the door open will affect your acrylic, but also the more the door is open the less likely they will get used to it, so you are kind of in a no win situation. I think you may have to switch over to using gel, but if they are perpetual moaners they will probably find something else to moan about even if you do change to another system.
hths
x

You could try doing Tip and Dip which is Powder and Glue based. I can give you advice on how to do it. It should be fairly simple for you as you already do acrylic.
This doesn't smell nearly as bad, is still acrylic, still strong, quicker and thinner.
You could also try using UV Acrylic which needs curing under a lamp like Gel but can be soaked off really well. This has almost no smell either.

Hope this helps

Row x

It's the reason I don't have acrylic nails in my salons. The smell is unbearable and gives me a headache. Clients complained too.

thanks everyone i have only been there two weeks so they may geet use to it like i am! i amgoing back to cnd in the next few weeks so it may not smell as bad!! i do gels but im looking for new products at the mo! x

If i was one of the hairdressers i'd not want to work in the smell all day and as a customer having my hair done i'd hate the smell of the acrylics while im tryng to relax and be pampered. Infact I would probably choose to change salons if my hairdressers did nails in the same room.

People get used to the smell (I hardly smell it now) but I think you'd be much better off in a seperate room at least. That way it woud be quieter and probably more comfortable for you too

Just a silly question, where do you put your rubbish when you have emptied the bin?

I work in a hair salon and have had only a handful of comments in all the time I have worked there.

If you are working smart, it really shouldn't be an issue.

I can't stand the smell of perm lotion....perhaps we should start telling our hair counterparts that it is bad for our health and gives you headaches.

i put my rubbish in the bin out side!! nearly all the nail techs where i live work in hair dresser n in the salon bit not seprate room! i got made redunted 3 weeks ago n this was the first job i came across n i know the manager im only paying £30 a week rent for 5 days! so really want to stay there lol! im going to go for the gel i think x but does any one think that if i have a nail desk with exrator in it it will get rid of the smell my old work had them in but never used them! but i could get one off my old boss!!! x

You could try using an odorless acrylic like OPI Clarite. I trained with with it and found it ok but i'm using NSI now

i personally think Acrylic can only be used in a dedicated nail bar, the smell is strong to people who dont have their nails done.

It might be best to change to Gel. CND acrylic has a smell/vapour too.

You would never see Acrylic used in Spa environments and its rarely seen in hairdresser salons

With all the odorless products out there, why subject everyone to an odor that isn't necessary? And I'm sorry but you never get use to it, it smells, and it is a strong, powerful odor, period. In my opinion comparing monomer smell to perm is ridiculous. Unless a hairdresser does a perm on every client of every day, there is no comparison. They do perms on occasion, not on every client, all day, every day, like a nail tech does. I'm sure this won't be well received but consideration for co-workers and their client's comfort and patronage has to be important too.

I own a hair, nail and beauty salon we have 3 stylists and 3 seperate beauty rooms, nails is done at the fron't of the salon and never have we had a complaint about the smell i use creative acrylic and i use a fuminator from nsi, my bin is metal with a metal lid and i dispose of pads and table roll as soon as i've used it.only other thing i can think of is trying a plug in right where you work one of those ones that eliminates odours, good luck

I own a hair, nail and beauty salon we have 3 stylists and 3 seperate beauty rooms, nails is done at the fron't of the salon and never have we had a complaint about the smell i use creative acrylic and i use a fuminator from nsi, my bin is metal with a metal lid and i dispose of pads and table roll as soon as i've used it.only other thing i can think of is trying a plug in right where you work one of those ones that eliminates odours, good luck

thanks for that nikkynails i do all the same! i was thinking of one as have plug right next to the desk! x

Actually no one should have to get used to the smell of monomer as it shouldn't be there and neither should you have to change to odourless systems or gels if you don't want to.

You can work with acrylic monomer and not make an unpleasent atmosphere for your clients or co-workers by observing all the smart rules, the most important of which is to have an extraction ventillation system for dust and to work SMART with your monomer. I do it ... Cathie does it ... thousands of others do it and so can you.

CND is a low odour monomer in any case and even easier to minimise the odour when you use it. I personally would nver use an odourless (no such thing actually) monomer as the nails are not nearly as long lasting nor as beautiful in my opinion as using a monomer with esters. I have much experience with odour free products and have never used one that is a patch on the results I get with my CND. NOR do I want to risk the allergic reaction I have seen on so many who use odour free monomers (including occcasionally a client!!).

Biggest cause of odour is the bad habit of wiping your brush on a dry paper towel. NEVER do that. The product spreads out and causes much more odour than if you dedicate a pad dampened with your sanitiser for each client application and wipe your brush if you need to on that! It will remove 70% of the odour you are creating immediately from the area. Then be conscientious about emptying your metal waste bin regularly ... always use a covered dappen dish and never use pumps for your monomer and the comments should settle down.

"Smell is in the nose of the beholder" :lol: and what one person may find ofensive many others do not. To make a statement such as, "I'm sorry but you never get use to it, it smells, and it is a strong, powerful odor, period.", is no less silly than comparing monomer to perm solution (quite a good analogy I think actually). The dislike of the Smell is a personal opinion of the poster and not a generalization. I, for instance, do not mind the smell of monomer and neither have I ever had a client comment that they couldn't stand it either. IF the salon stank of it then that is another matter but it doesn't ever, and it is up to the smart technician that understands how to use her products in a smart way to make sure that it doesn't.

I can't stand the smell of perm lotion....perhaps we should start telling our hair counterparts that it is bad for our health and gives you headaches.

HEAR HEAR! Or The dye??

I notice quite a large difference in odour between product brands and although I don't personally use it for my L & P i've found that the CND monomers do have a much lower odour than some.

I dont like the smell of L&P but I think its handy to have a little odour as it stops me working in too close and breathing it all in as it reminds me that its there. I imagine if there was no smell at all I think I would be leaving all kind of jars open and working with my nose too close to the product.

The sanitiser trick that geeg suggested really makes all the difference to the strong odour so that it can only be smelled in the work area and not all the way around the room.

I am still a bit odd I think. I love the Smell of my CND....:)

I just checked on NSI's website and didn't see anything called fuminator. Can you provide a link? Am curious about it. Thank you.

thanks everyone! i love the smell of cnd tolol!! sad i know!!! but o well im doing everything apart bfrom the wiping brush on the wet pad im going to try!!! thanks xx :lol:

Latest posts

Back