Tint on client's hair -shall I refund?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

july

Reaction score
Hi, guys!
As usual, I'm turning to you for advise when I can't tale a decision.
This new client came in 1 week ago, had her eyebrows and eyelashes tinted. The therapists who's doing the treatment started coughing half way through and ask another therapist to take over her client. She apologised to the client who seemed to be fine with the swap.
A week later, the client came in asking for a full refund as tint has gone into her blonde hair. She said that somehow, wasn't sure at what stage, her hair must've touched the tint and it was very visible as she was very blonde. She was very abrupt, very cheesed off and said she thought it was discussing that the therapist coughed all over her, she won't be coming back and that she either gets a full refund or she'll be sending us her hair bill.

Now, I admit it's our fault for getting the tint in the hair, no doubt about it. Bu the aggressiveness really annoys me and makes me think Actually, there was nothing wrong with your treatment, your lashes and eyebrows looked great, you got the hand and arm massage that comes with all our tint services, why shall we refund?! I offered her a voucher for the amount of the tint, I said we 2 salons so she can choose where or what to spend it on. But in her rude style, she refused and wants to take the matter further.

I'm in two minds if she has a point or not.

Ideas??

July xx :irked:

Hi, guys!
This new client came in 1 week ago, had her eyebrows and eyelashes tinted. The therapists who's doing the treatment started coughing half way through and ask another therapist to take over her client. She apologised to the client who seemed to be fine with the swap.
A week later, the client came in asking for a full refund as tint has gone into her blonde hair. She said that somehow, wasn't sure at what stage, her hair must've touched the tint and it was very visible as she was very blonde. She was very abrupt, very cheesed off and said she thought it was discussing that the therapist coughed all over her, she won't be coming back and that she either gets a full refund or she'll be sending us her hair bill.

Now, I admit it's our fault for getting the tint in the hair, no doubt about it. Bu the aggressiveness really annoys me and makes me think Actually, there was nothing wrong with your treatment, your lashes and eyebrows looked great, you got the hand and arm massage that comes with all our tint services, why shall we refund?! I offered her a voucher for the amount of the tint, I said we 2 salons so she can choose where or what to spend it on. But in her rude style, she refused and wants to take the matter further.

Ideas??

Do you so hair in your salon too?
It sounds nasty, but rude customers in hair and retail sectors I have been in got nothing at all. You offered her vouchers, now tough titties. Why did it take her a week? Surely she would have seen it before then and been able to make a call? Could she have gone elsewhere for them darker? Could she have done something at home like put mascara in it?
And as for the coughing, does she want your therapist to choke just to get her brows tinted? Swapping therapist is better than leaving her wait while the coughing stopped.
She's probably a chancer or realised she couldn't afford it so tried for a refund. Xoxo

"Now, I admit it's our fault for getting the tint in the hair, no doubt about it. Bu the aggressiveness really annoys me and makes me think Actually, there was nothing wrong with your treatment"

Something did go wrong with this treatment and you have recognised that this was your salons fault. Regardless whether or not it was intentional this lady has got tint in her hair and is understandably annoyed.

You have offered her vouchers and she does not want to return to your salon. You have to accept that. It would be easier to give the client a refund and end the matter.

"Now, I admit it's our fault for getting the tint in the hair, no doubt about it. Bu the aggressiveness really annoys me and makes me think Actually, there was nothing wrong with your treatment"

Something did go wrong with this treatment and you have recognised that this was your salons fault. Regardless whether or not it was intentional this lady has got tint in her hair and is understandably annoyed.

You have offered her vouchers and she does not want to return to your salon. You have to accept that. It would be easier to give the client a refund and end the matter.

This is what I was going to say. As someone who worked in a call centre for 7 years I'm used to being spoken to terribly and I must admit that I was reluctant to help out the people that were swearing etc as much as the customers who told you their problem and looked to you for help calmly.

At the end of the day - it is the salons fault. You admit it. Regardless of her attitude she deserves a refund which is also minimising potentials slanderous comments in your local area too

x

Thanks for your reply.
No, we don't do hair. The eyebrow tint must've gotten on her hair.

Thing is -it looks like it's fine for clients to come in with flu, cough, colds and cough all over us, when we happen to cough -it's disgusting. It's all one way.

:(

Have you seen the tint in her hair? X

Hi, guys!

Ideas??

I think you are allowing your irritation with the clients' attitude colour your professional judgement here.

If there is even a remote possibility that your therapist got tint in this clients hair then you should offer a full refund and a full apology.

Personally I would refund her rather than give her gift vouchers...who wants an aggressive client who has lost faith in your salon and treatments?

PB
x

Your client is right the therapist coughing while doing her treatment was vile, she could of spread a whole manner of germs over the client!

As a professional your therapist shouldnt have been doing the treatment if unwell or she have put on a disposable mask to stop and germs spreading.

When doing a lash/brow tint the therapist is working in close proxsimity to the client,so anything like coughing etc does come across as gross and very unhygienic!

You should refund her, as your company was in the wrong and no matter how rude the client is you still need to give the client her money back.

I doubt after been coughed over and having tint in her hair she would want to come back and use vouchers with you.

Last edited:
You need to put yourself in the clients shoes...

Imagine this as you. I know if it were me, I would expect a refund at the very least. I would rather that than have her bad mouth the salon over town. I imagine this is what she will do!

Good luck, I hope you resolve. X

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

Thing is -it looks like it's fine for clients to come in with flu, cough, colds and cough all over us, when we happen to cough -it's disgusting. It's all one way.

:(

Beacuse were are meant to be the professionals here and have set standards when come to hygiene.

if a member of staff has a bad cough send them home or give the correct PPE i.e disposable face mask to use when dealing with clients

I understand the clients point of view, but my main question is - Why she waited for a week to tell you that she had problems with a treatment result?

I just don't get it.

I understand the clients point of view, but my main question is - Why she waited for a week to tell you that she had problems with a treatment result?

I just don't get it.

If she's anything like me, she could have been very busy during the week and that was the first chance she got to call.

My OH always says to me call people during lunch hour. But I get so wrapped up in what I'm doing that I actually don't stop for lunch and eat as I'm working. Sometimes it does take me a week to call about something.

CUSTOMER SERVICE!!

If you don't have this you are eventually going to suffer.

It is your job to try and bring this lady's anger down ... not inflame it even further.

The situation is entirely the fault of the salon. It obviously did not happen on purpose but it was actually negligence. Had the therapist been more careful with the tint it would not have happened. By that I mean the therapist should not have been holding the tint anywhere near the client as she started to cough.

Giver her the money back NOT a gift token.

Apologise.

And tell her you would like to offer her a complimentary treatment because you value her custom.

If she still decides not to return to your salon then you know you have tried to put it right in the correct manner.

Reading your posts, I have to say I started to feel slightly irritated, no wonder the client is annoyed.

It would be easy for you to be offended by what I say but please don't be! I am trying to help you :hug:

Do the right thing. Take responsibility. You will be surprised how far that goes in this miserable world of ours.

xx

Defiantly refund and count yourself lucky she hasn't asked for the money to rectify her hair. Also like mentioned above offer her a complementary treatment as means as an apology.
Negative news travels very fast and can damage your business. X

I can't believe anyone wouldn't give the client their money back? If you got it on her coat you would have to pay laundry costs on top so at the very least she should get her refund and I would count myself lucky she didnt ask you to pay towards a hair treatment to get rid of the tint.

Firstly you must apologise, refund her, offer to pay for repair costs to her hair (your therapist caused it) and give her a complimentary hand/foot treatment with your best therapist.

It does not matter if it took 1 hour or 1 week for her to return. She may have been considering the best course of action and over a week riled herself into a tissy. Go with it , understand why she is so angry. I know I would be.

Years ago, one of my friends done exactly the same thing. The salon swiftly dealt with appropriately with minimal drama. It worked out fine.

Good Luck x

i once got some wax stringy residue on a client, i notified her immediately to let her know i was really sorry. She didnt mind and i used a bit of oil to get the tiny little bit out. I apologised perfusely as sometimes these things can happen- i also laughed at myself being a bimbo- my client was perfectly fine with how i handled it and is still a regular.

In this case, was there tint there/present? did you let the client leave without mentioning it to her? Have you seen the hair?

I would most certainly try to please the client as its not somthing she had asked for- if somebody flinches and moves, im always like-you wana have one eyebrow?!

Either way why didnt you use a hairband or try to tuck the hair away? some faults are pointing to the treatment/therapist rather than the service in general. Try to review her procedure. xoxo

Your client is right the therapist coughing while doing her treatment was vile, she could of spread a whole manner of germs over the client!

As a professional your therapist shouldnt have been doing the treatment if unwell or she have put on a disposable mask to stop and germs spreading.

When doing a lash/brow tint the therapist is working in close proxsimity to the client,so anything like coughing etc does come across as gross and very unhygienic!

You should refund her, as your company was in the wrong and no matter how rude the client is you still need to give the client her money back.

I doubt after been coughed over and having tint in her hair she would want to come back and use vouchers with you.

Well I think what u said is quite rude , you don't have to be ill to have a coughing fit!. What the hwll are you supposed.to.do when one occurs. She swapped.with another therapist there's not much more you can do

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using SalonGeek

I don't think what i posted was rude at all.

The therapist could have moved away from the client rather than cough over her, but she didn't.

Coughing over someone is disgusting even if it is by accident.

Last edited:
As a salon owner (hairdressing) customer service and satisfaction are my utmost concerns,

however you are allowing the attitude of the lady cloud your professionalism,

If you don't have it in your t&Cs about issues or comments within so many days, you have no choice but tp refund, what's cheaper, refunding her or paying for her hair to be done to fix the issue?

As a stylist peoples hair and make up are a big part of their life and she will want tp get it fixed right away.

Depends on how noticeable it is tbf, vouchers would be first option as a good will gesture but as she has a point bad word of mouth is more damaging to your business than giving her a refund so i'd be honest apologise give her the refund and vouchers to return and try again, or of you don't want her back no vouchers, but she prob Wouldnt use them anyway just can't slag you off for not handling her complaint properly :)

Hope all works out hun x

Sent from my GT-N7000 using SalonGeek

Latest posts

Back