tips n tricks?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MINKUS

Gel Junkie
Reaction score
dont think we've had one of these for a while so....good time to start another thread.

What have you learnt along the way that would be INVALUABLE to someone else???

I'll start the ball rollin' (im diggin deep in my tiny brain!!)

- pre tailoring sculpting forms (pic in the gallery) learnt on my masters

- How to do a custom blend with brisa gel (thanks to a thread from ruth)

- pre blending tips (makes life SO MUCH easier!)

- have a 'landing pad!!' to wipe your brush on when using gel (saves on loads of nail wipes) best thing for a landing pad...................a wax strip !! (mandini's FAB idea when she saw me being a messy tech!)

spill away geeks dont keep all them tips n tricks to yourselves:hug:

Ok being a bit cheeky here :lol: but it is late on a Saturday night :lol: :lol:

Keep them balls of L&P small - I have found that when you make them large - they are far more difficult to control :eek: have I made a funny there ????:eek: well perhaps after a few bacardi and cokes they sound funny to me :lol:

fab thread Amber xx

Keep them balls of L&P small - I have found that when you make them large - they are far more difficult to control :eek: have I made a funny there ????:eek: well perhaps after a few bacardi and cokes they sound funny to me :lol:

fab thread Amber xx

trying to get to grips with l+p right now mate (which is very hard for a gel gal) so thanks for that tit bit of info !

amb xx

fab thread Amber xx

Describe small balls i.e. how small (few glasses of wine geek)

Pre-tailoring tips is a good trick, I use curved scissors and cut out the excess well to leave just a slither, it leaves more nail visible and therefore makes the enhancement stronger :wink2:

Oooh... just thought of another, using an old brush dipped in Nailfresh to smarted up smile lines when using gel or french polishing, it's also fab for tidying the nail/finger if you mess up slightly when applying enamel.

Fab thread Amb :D... we sometimes forget the little tricks we use to make life easier as we do them by habit.

Oooh... just thought of another, using an old brush dipped in Nailfresh to smarted up smile lines when using gel or french polishing, it's also fab for tidying the nail/finger if you mess up slightly when applying enamel.

love that tip too mate...

another one i read but i dont do l+p and cant remember......... what is it that you can swipe over the 'girlfriend' buffer to bring it back to life???

what is it that you can swipe over the 'girlfriend' buffer to bring it back to life???
the shiny side? is that a little bit of Scrubfresh on a pad to remove any oil residues?

Describe small balls i.e. how small (few glasses of wine geek)
Okey doke in my best Barcardi and coke voice lol:lol:

The beads really do need to be quite a bit smaller than you initially think - you have to pat and push them out - using your brush in different ways - enabling you to achieve the thinnest overlay you possibly can!

Zone one - free edge - a small to medium bead
Zone two - stress area a medium to small bead
zone three - cuticle area small bead

Tat is what works for me :green:

One of the best tips I was given was always test your mix ratio BEFORE EACH CLIENT - why heat, atomsphere all sorts of conditions can impact on the way your mix ratio behaves.

So how to achieve these perfect beads - well I'm afraid that you will have to do two things :lol:

Firstly look at Geegs tutorial/Nailclass - they rock :green:
Then - try all sorts of combinations to achieve what works best for you!

We all hold our brushes slightly different
We all dip our brushes into the L&P/gel with different degrees of pressure!

So what we need to do is practice until we feel comfortable with our tools and can Feel the pressure/amt/way we are applying our products.

One thing for sure is - Less is more IMHO

:hug:

the shiny side? is that a little bit of Scrubfresh on a pad to remove any oil residues?
OOOO can I throw a spanner in the works sandi and Amber - wasn't it the Koala buffer that you could do that with????

sos if I am wrong :lol: :lol: but I really should be in bed now :lol:

OOOO can I throw a spanner in the works sandi and Amber - wasn't it the Koala buffer that you could do that with????

sos if I am wrong :lol: :lol: but I really should be in bed now :lol:

eeeek i dont know:cry: im sure i thought it was the girlfriend?

sandi.....come on link queen find the thread!

Zone one - free edge - a small to medium bead
Zone two - stress area a medium to small bead
zone three - cuticle area small bead

:hug:

Thought it best to clarify the above as some may think I have gone totally daft lol and that zone one and two are actually the same :lol:

zone one - use a smaller bead first (and can be anything up to a medium bead)

zone two use a medium bead (and can be sized down depending how much you have used on zone 1)

HTH to make more sense :green:

A bit of a tip everyones probably figured out! When doing flicks with water based paints when doing some nail art, if you are using two different colours. Do one and paint with tip coat, when dry do the second colour. This was if you go wrong and have to wipe off you're not wiping off the whole thing x x x

ooh thts a good idea i never thought of that before !! and brill pics of the pre tailored forms amb, i never dared ask before coz i felt daft :lol:
cant think of any tricks at the mo, coz all the ones i know have been said plus i have been up all night (this is what my eyes look like , :eek: )

trying to get to grips with l+p right now mate (which is very hard for a gel gal) so thanks for that tit bit of info !

amb xx

We could be twins I can't get it at all

What I have learned Score white tips before applying gel or they will pop off!!!:)

Like the waxing strip idea as a landing pad for gel brushes.

Use an eye last tinting brush to clean up smile lines - great sturdy brush with only a few bristles.

Latest posts

Back