Took my CV for a job and I'm now gutted

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mind you this reminds me off when I was 21 and worked at air cabin crew for gulf air. You were weighed at the interview. I had to have make up etc to their standard and even wear a head scarf! I never thought to moan I was being paid £26k tax free and I was young. I knew the rules respected them and that was that. However, virgin cabin crew apparently had to parade up and down while bosses decided if they looked the part or not and I believe red lipstick was insisted upon. He who pays the piper calls the tune so to speak!

Omg colleen that's terrible, looking on the bright side sounds like you had a lucky escape!
I worked in warehouse few years ago and image was everything, I have worked in quite a lot of shops but the bitcheness was unreal. Horrible place to work!
I left to work at boots where there was lots of different people, sizes, looks ect and was one of the nicest jobs I had, no bitcheness, just friendly staff.
It's there Loss petal! You were too good for them and they probably knew that xxxx

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

What an ugly, ignorant, offensive, mean and nasty person she is :evil:
If I were you I would be contacting either CAB or a solicitor to get legal advice on this - I am sure that unless you would be incapable of performing your job to the best standards then this type of discrimination is illegal.

I'm sure you wouldn't want to work there now for all the tea in China but wouldn't you love her to receive some sort of warning letter about her horrible attitude :cool:

Btw was she the salon owner/manager? If not, perhaps a strongly written letter advising the owner of the staff members words would be in order.

And I hope that there were no overweight clients within ear shot as I would never return to somewhere that encouraged such bigotted, arrogant attitudes!!!

Shame on them:!::!::!:

Good thing I read through more of this post before putting my next pennies worth in. I was also wondering if she was the owner or manager or maybe just an uptight jealous girl enjoying the power of the reception desk. For all we know she might desperatley be trying to attain a fabulous curvaceous figure. I have a friend who is naturally slim and has a boyish figure. She envies my curves and I envy her .

I would find out what or who she is in the salon and write to the owner. I am sure she will get a mouthfull from the boss but at the end of the day they wont be attracting a good quality clientele with that snobby attitude. Unfortunately there are a lot of salons out there that make you feel like something the cat dragged in when you turn up for an appointment.

I said hi I'm here to hand in my cv as I'm looking to see if you had any job vacancies.She looked me up and down and said we have got a vacancy but I'm afraid you would not fit into this salon.I asked why and she said we like to employ staff that fit in with our image and I said what image is that and they said we employ people who are slim and oozzzzeeee a healthy lifestyle and look.it's not like I applied to be a personal trainer or nothing lol

Do they tel the clients this.You to fat cant service you.Sorry cant take your money!:mad:

Do they tel the clients this.You to fat cant service you.Sorry cant take your money!:mad:

Oooh like the last one "sorry your too fat to pay, the service is FREE!"

I would love a salon with a skinny,a "regular" size and a larger person, as well as a a young, middle and old person along with someone from each ethnicity popular in the area. Would have someone for everyone to feel comfortable with.
Xoxo

Oooh like the last one "sorry your too fat to pay, the service is FREE!"

I would love a salon with a skinny,a "regular" size and a larger person, as well as a a young, middle and old person along with someone from each ethnicity popular in the area. Would have someone for everyone to feel comfortable with.
Xoxo

This has been done already in certain working places e.g token black person etc. It causes problems when people are just employed for their "age" "colour" as it means someone more qualified misses out just because they feel they need someone "black or disabled weather competent or not) to fill the position. Very leftie idea!

unbelievable that someone would be so silly as to say that to you they've potentially opened themselves up to a discrimination claim. i don't think any business owner would be that silly so i'd guess shes not the owner if shes not i'd definatly be letting the owner know what was said as they'll probably appreciate being informed that there staff is potentially leaving them open for a claim like that. it sound's like they're lacking in customer service training they should be more concerned with the quality of service and work they are providing than there image. it also sounds like a place i wouldn't want to work in, it'd probably make your life miserable.

You've had a lucky escape, you don't want to work with such shallow & bitchy people.
Jeez you're not even fat! I'd kill to be a 12/14 again, but such is life I'm not so I just concentrate on the gym (when I've not got my hand in my UV lamp!)

Even my 14yr old boy was shocked and said "Isn't that illegal??"

Your worth more than that job, trust me xxx

This has been done already in certain working places e.g token black person etc. It causes problems when people are just employed for their "age" "colour" as it means someone more qualified misses out just because they feel they need someone "black or disabled weather competent or not) to fill the position. Very leftie idea!

It wouldn't be for a token person, it would be to be able to say we have someone for everyone, have a wide set of skills between us all, ad there is a person available for everyone to feel comfortable with. Not a losing quality as obviously I would be very picky about their skills, if they didn't cut it, sorry they wouldn't be taken on just for their size/ colour/ background etc... Xoxo

I'm a big girl, 18/20. I've had less days off sick (apart from an operation) in my 6 and a half years at O2 than people that are a size 6 and have been there for a year. I don't think that being bigger means you have more time off.

Me too. I work for myself and haven't been I'll once last year.

I would avoid a salon where all the girls were pretty and skinny. I would feel much more comfortable for a large german October beerfest waitress to carry out my massages. I've had a massage by a slim, pretty 19 year old and it had no effect. There was no strength in the girl.

And I would feel extremely uncomfortable stripping off for a spray tan, showing off my stretch marks and cellulite and other wobbly bits unless my therapist shared the same. :wink2:

Colleen I'm shocked and disgusted that this has happened to you!

I'm even more shocked you didn't knock her out!!

Don't let her upset you - she's not worth it!! :hug:

Well, I hope you're feeling good about yourself again after so many supportive posts! :)

And I hope this experience doesn't discourage you from knocking on potential employer's doors – according to Richard Bolles, author of 'What Color Is Your Parachute: A Practical Manual for Job-Hunters and Career-Changers' (JobHuntersBible.com:), this is one of the more effective ways to look for a job!

It might help to role play with people to get opinions of how you come across – do you know anyone willing to be the 'bitch from hell'?!

Awww Colleen thats awful! i can't believe the rudeness of some people, it makes my blood boil.

Hope you are ok xxxx

Sent from my GT-S5830 using SalonGeek

I have only just seen this post and I am horrified at the attitude of this woman. I wonder if she has different prices for her clients, I mean in her world surely a larger client needs more wax?

Discrimination comes in many forms and what this woman has done is out and out discrimination. I'd be talking to someone about this approach and making an example of her. If she'd have told someone of ethnic origin that she couldn't work there because she didn't fit the mould would she have got away with it? No

Hugs Colleen, you know you have many geeky fans of which I am one. x

Colleen I'm shocked and disgusted that this has happened to you!

I'm even more shocked you didn't knock her out!!

Don't let her upset you - she's not worth it!! :hug:

Lol so am I An*Gel so am i.I held my dignity together and left.

Not worth the dog sh*t on the bottom of my shoe lol :Love:

I'm proud of you missus!

Ooooh you're all grown up now! ;) :hug:

well that's why she didn't give you the job , why didn't you clean your shoes before you went for an interview?:rolleyes:
She was only using size as an excuse so you couldn't accuse her sensitive nostrils as being anti-dog!!!
Jeez Colleen!

well that's why she didn't give you the job , why didn't you clean your shoes before you went for an interview?:rolleyes:
She was only using size as an excuse so you couldn't accuse her sensitive nostrils as being anti-dog!!!
Jeez Colleen!

:lol: :lol:

Thank you ladies I'm ok about it today :biggrin:.

I'll leave all the legal bit to someone else who's mum and dad are loaded and can really take her to the cleaners lol.im already dealing with legal stuff employment tribunal at the moment and just haven't got the strength to do anymore lol.

I've realised that if employers want to treat people like this then I don't want to work for them.I'm good at my trade and the trade I'm studying at the moment and I think I am the perfect employee so who ever dosnt give me a chance there missing out not me there missing out on a whole load of me hahahahahahahahahahaha only joking.

Thanks again ladies for being so kind if it wasn't for you all I would be feeling pretty rubbish right now xxx

I'm proud of you missus!

Ooooh you're all grown up now! ;) :hug:

Thank you :Love:

I tell you what I have grown up so much since joining this site and with your help and lots of others I have found the error of my ways lol xxx

Latest posts

Back