TPTW...How do you rate yourself as a nail technician ?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bagpuss

Sleepy Geek Zzzzzzzz
Reaction score
Its all in the title.....what would you rate yourself....1-10

Often i don't think we blow our own trumpet enough for fear of sounding big headed....there is absolutely nothing wrong in saying "I am good at what i do"

I think here on this site are some very talented and amazing nail technicians and equally important are those who aspire to be....

How could you improve and on what to make you a better nail technician....?

This isn't a thread about who is better than anyone else....its about believing in yourself....they say it over and over on x factor...."you are good so believe it"...:lol:...

How many of you believe it..?

I am beginning to believe in myself as a nail tech,
I'd give myself 10/10 for effort lol.. but for MY idea of a nail tech I would give myself maybe a 6/10.. I think I am mostly 'average' but I now know If I put my mind to it, I can do some s**t hot nails !
On a day to day basis for salon nails, I do sets I am VERY happy with, and sets I totally could have done better.

I know that I am very passionate about what I do, and I am doing as much as I can to get better, I never feel I am doing enough though tbh,
I thought I had totally lost my nail mojo in the last few weeks, but over the last few days I am fighting to get it back ( and It's working thankgod)

I do think I could dedicate more time to practicing my skills and brushing up on my nail knowledge though, I used to spend all day everyday thinking about nails,
Over the last 6 months, I saw them only really as my job and avoided them in my spare time....

I have given myself a swift kick up the bum now and plan to give it 100% again :lol:

I give myself 5.
5 because it is half of 10.
Because I am only giving half of what I am capable of.

Yes, I believe in myself, I believe that I can be a very good nail tech if I gave it my all. I think I learn things quite quickly and fairly good with my my hands. I also think I have a natural eye for shape and structure.

But at this current time, I have many other much more important commitments in my life and do not have the time and dedication to give my 100% to nails.

I give out 50%, so I am only worth 50%.
I believe that you are only as good as what you are willing to give.

Last edited:
Brilliant question Angie!

Sometimes I really do believe in myself, other times I wobble - the joys of working alone I guess...... I know I offer more than a lot of other techs (extending nail beds, gel & l+p, glitter etc) but I still don't always believe.....

I think that really good nail tech's are so critical of their own skills and that in itself leads to self-doubt. I am a CND L+P Master but I see flaws all the time - is that how it is?

I feel the need to compete again, I need the feedback. Maybe I should do my Brisa Masters as well......

Def thought provoking :hug:

Well I don't think anyone could say I am not a trier... but to be totally honest I don't think that I would ever be able to say I am an excellent nail tech. I would say I do an average set of salon nails but thats about it. I am pants at rebalance and just cannot ever envisage that I will go any further with my nail training as I think its just flogging a dead horse.

I believe that its a skill that the technician needs a natural flair in and no matter how much quality training they have some of us just don't cut the mustard. I sometimes look at my Master certificate sat on my wall pride of place and feel very sad that I don't live up to what I feel a Creative Nail Master Nail Technician should do. I promise I am not being modest, its the sad fact of it.

I would honestly rate myself about a 3 - 4 at new sets but around 1 - 2 at a rebalance set. This is probably why I have changed direction and moved away from nails on a day to day basis.

:hug:

Hi well am not sure really where I put myself maybe a 5, I love doing nails, but dont feel that I am to the standard of most on here or all the friends from facebook, I never seem happy with a set of nails, I always think after should have done this or needed to change that, never had a complaint yet lol need to brush up on rebalances but I am getting there, I love to sculpt as I get a real kick outa the nails when finished and when they come back for their 2 week maintenance I am always shocked at how good they look, as I always think they are pants when first done and worry myself sick. I am hoping this time next year to be up and running fully due to illness have had to put things on hold, so may do a one to one once I have had my operation as I wont be able to do any nails for at least 3 month, so a one to one will give me that buzz back, I am also really hoping to do my masters next year, I am hoping 2010 will be my year I did ask for it with my cosmic ordering whichI did over a year ago and believe it or not most of is coming true, if I can get half as good as some on here then I will be very happy. :)

ok i will be honest (brag) and say most days 8 out 10,
i produce nice nails for my clients (and myself lol)
and i do it in an acceptable time with a smile on my face,
my clients return time and time again and recommend me so i must be doing something right,
i do have my off days where i would say 7 out of 10,
hopefully after the event i will be able to come back and say 9 out of 10 :lol:

You forgot to rate yourself Angie, get your trumpet out girly :hug:

I would say the same as Loubylou. After 10 years I would hope so as well. I am fully booked and the vast majority of my clients have been with me since I moved here 9 years ago. I keep myself up to date and try to offer new and wonderful things to those who like new and wonderful things! For those who prefer the classic pink and white or the more natural look I take pride in producing lasting nails that look perfect. I do, of course, have days that I would rather forget but that goes for everyone really.

I hope I will always have something to learn and improve on though! :)

I don't want to sound arrogant.
But comparing myself to locals... I put myself at 8, and them at 3-4.

I do a full thorough consult.
I give 150% of myself every time, trying to find the 'right look' that is them (in terms of art). Sometimes clients pick something, and I pause and make other suggestions according to their personality type & their personal style.. and then they wind up happier and say "oh yes, you're right, I like these better".
I am CONSTANTLY researching, looking to learn as much as possible. I give myself a 10 in that regard, in my effort to obtain the best education I can despite the limits imposed by my location.
I offer art and options that no one else in the area offers.
Salon hygiene is MUCHO IMPORTANTE!!! and while it wasn't taught at school to disinfect, etc.. blah blah.. I DO IT THOROUGHLY.
Natural nail health a priority (every effort is made to never file more than absolutely necessary, the natural nail).
I 'know' my clients. I am their ear. Many vent and feel that my services are more than just nail enhancements. I am their comedian. They need giggles, I give it to them. I adjust my personality to suit their needs, I am a chameleon.

In so far as how my work looks, compared to some of the best ON THIS FORUM.......... ummmmmmmmm I put myself at 3-4.
Why so low? My french's need perfecting as do other details. I'm lacking "10/10 consistency". My freehand is pigeon-poop compared to Liliya of Russia. My 3d... so far an absymal attempt LMFAO
When I can create nails that look like Gigi's... THEN I'll be happy
LOL

BUTTTTTTTTTTTTT... I'm working hard at improving.
So it'll come. In the meantime, I'm happy being the best in my neighborhood and being fully booked this month.
YES, for the first time FULLY BOOKED THE ENTIRE MONTH... and have turned people away.
Another milestone for me :green:

I would be honest and say i ould give myself

10 for prep
10 customer service
10 cleanliness
5-6 application
5-6 for filing

so 5-6 for nails. I do much better with gel , maybe an 8 but as for l&p i think my confidence lets me down. so 5-6 would be fair.

I would modestly say I rate myself at a 10.

Doesn't mean I always do work that I think is at a 10 but usually I think I do.

And to me 10 does not mean perfect .. the finished job is never perfect, not for anyone. I'd give myself a 10 for quality of the job I do.

well most days 6 I guess, but some days 5, I think I'm taking far to long, and still just small problems, that only I notice.
I wish that I could do beautiful nails like Gigi (and at the same speed) or others on here, so my rating me is compared to salongeek members. Compared to local competition I give myself 8 and them 2-3...

Its all in the title.....what would you rate yourself....1-10

Often i don't think we blow our own trumpet enough for fear of sounding big headed....there is absolutely nothing wrong in saying "I am good at what i do"

I think here on this site are some very talented and amazing nail technicians and equally important are those who aspire to be....

How could you improve and on what to make you a better nail technician....?

This isn't a thread about who is better than anyone else....its about believing in yourself....they say it over and over on x factor...."you are good so believe it"...:lol:...

How many of you believe it..?

Well I belive I give 100% to every set I do. So I would say I'm 10/10 for that. I may not produce the worlds best set, but I do the best of my ability everytime.
Posted via Mobile Device

Latest posts

Back