TPTW - Mobile & home salons, good for the industry??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MissOwen

Reaction score
Opinions please!

Do mobile techs and home salons create a healthy alternative atmosphere for clients or is it simply making it easier for poorly qualified or unqualified techs to trade?

Does it create an easy hiding place for people to work in a cash in hand manor and not declare self employment?

Do you think that mobile and home salon work is good for the industry or bringing it down??

Be nice please, thought this might be a good debate :green:

Hmm. I would like to say there is room in this industry for all of us. I rather suspect that for every pro hair/therapist/tech who is insured and declared, there are quite a few that are not.
Also we are seeing the rise of the youtube inspired hobby brigade.

I think it would be a terrible shame if people couldn't actually earn a proper living from our industry anymore because it devalued too much.

good thread:hug:

I can see your point about people hiding etc. But from personal experience I have seen extremely professional home salons (including mine:green:) and mobile services, and I have also been to so called professional high street salons which have made my toes curl.

I do think there is room for all three types in industry and as always it comes down to education. Well educated practitioners who continue to develop their skills and client understanding of standards will raise the profile of all.

I'm sure you didn't mean to offend, but I am irked at your comments! I work from home and I do not feel as though I am bringing the industry down. In fact, many of my clients specifically come to me because I am on their doorstep, which is convenient at the end of a long day for them. Other clients who cannot get to a local salon will, I'm sure, find the offer of a professional who can come to them an ideal solution.

I am qualified and am proud to display my certificates. I am also a full member of the Guild of Beauty Therapists, so therefore insured.

I am sure there are many people out there masquerading as professionals when, in reality, they haven't don't much more than read a book or do one of the day courses available through a wholesaler. You only have to look at the number of cheap nail bars littering every high street these days.....

I think there is a time and a place for everyone to operate in the environment that works for them and their clients. It it, perhaps, more the industry as a whole that needs to look at how it trains and permits its members to work.

I am mobile, so will obviously be biased in favour:green:
However I am not too sure as to whether it comes down to mobile/home salon versus salons, as we have all heard of the horrors of the nss places. I think that in all locations there is scope for all of the above.

IMHO I do not think that mobile or home salons are bringing the industry down just giving people more options. :)

It is maybe a debate that needs to be had. Please don't get offended though!

If every home based or mobile therapist was insured and declared, I would say we all have our place in the industry.

The problem arises when the insured and declared mobiles who are properly trained are in the minority!
Salons are licenced and inspected each year. Would it help genuine mobiles and home salon proprietors if there was a licence system for them too?

hi in canada even a home salon has to be licenced they get inspected and from what i have heard theyre pretty strict (ironic seeing as theres no licensing for actual nails or beauty in ontario :eek:)
i know a couple of techs who have really lovely professional home salons and i have thought about doing it myself but i dont really think you get the same amount of clients (esp hair ) as you dont usually get walks in when you live in a cul de sac :lol:
i think if you can market yourself well enough and you are a professional then good on ya x

I don't think being mobile or home based is a bad thing. There are high street salons with poor standards of hygiene, scruffy fixtures and fittings, staff talking very blatantly about other clients and boyfriend issues and there is one in Manchester where if you have a complaint she swears at you and throws you out of her salon!!

There are good and bad in the industry regardless of where you work from and I am sure this will continue.

I can see why some mobile/home based etc can be seen as maybe unprofessional, whether it be not declared, un insured or not qualified or in most cases ALL THREE or even hold all the relevant certs but just operate in a less professional manner than perhaps they should .......... I have heard locally of a good few "you tube" self trained so called nail techs & one of whom is even offering ind Lash extensions on top of her popit nails :eek: she buys all her products for nails & lashes from China or the likes (a client of mine works with this particular lady in her day job). This lady will eventually trip herself up maybe at the misfortune or some poor unsuspecting client but her fall will come and from a great height with I hope great consequences.
I am myself working from a professional purpose built home based salon ... and think as long as you conduct your business & treat your clients in a professional manner you can add to the reputation of this industry in a positive way, and be just as successful as most other salons. I know my clients are impressed and happy with the surroundings & appearance of my studio and most on their first visit are very surprised to find that I REALLY do have a professional set up even if it is on a small scale. I know I have a good reputation in my area and really don't fear the wanna be`s.

Agree with Smooth. I was recently inspected so that I can carry out electrolysis and red vein/skin tag removal. The lady from the council stated that she wished all the salons she knows about were as well run as mine! She said it was the first time in all the years that she had been inspecting salons that she hadn't had to ask for anything or recommend any improvements.
Some of us out there in Home Salon World really, really care about what we're doing, in much the same way as some of those in Proper Commercial Salon World couldn't give two hoots.

Looking at the state of some nail/beauty salons I would say that it could potentially be those who put the industry in a bad light as opposed to people thinking it's the other way around.

I know some mobile/home based therapists/techs who run their businesses better and more professionally than high street salons... but the point that is of concern is the number of uninsured/unqualified therapists/techs who are trading as businesses but not paying their taxes/insurances/NI etc.

I think it's a case of swings and roundabouts, there's good and bad in all three, home/mobile/salon.

(Can I be accused of sitting on the fence? lol)

i agree with the poster who said that mobile and home based beauty therapists give other options .
i work on a mobile basis, but to be honest it wasnt until i actually trained with cnd that i realised what poor standards of hyegene the 2 salons i used to use had :eek:

so i guess it swings in roundabouts

Nice to hear all the different opinions. :green:

Just for the record, i'm a mobile tech myself so i'm in no way knocking anyone who works mobile or from home, but its nice to learn others perception on things though and read others thoughts on how it effects the industry.

Home salons could be regulated like normal salons i'm sure, but how would someone like myself be regulated? Would it be possible? Any thoughts???

As for the cash in hand work, well I know of plenty of girls from local salons do cash work after salon every night..and I know its cash because I do some of their collegues nails and have been offered it on the quiet...so just because you are mobile it doeant make you a tax evader! ANYONE who has a trade can do this weather they are a plumber, nail tech, lekky who ever. It just depends if you are a dishonest person or not. Being mobile doesnt make you dishonest, and who says that salons well run and large are any less likely to not declare certain things than a sole trader. This irritates me becuse I have been asked so many times bye people if I am a actualy self employed or does it all go in your back pocket? The people who also ask this are also the ones who ask if I work in a salon in the day, NOT that there is anything wrong with doing salon and private as long as you declare your earnings and are insured to do this etc. My college tutor was a creative master with a home salon, so if its good enough for her its good enough for me.

On the other hand, lets be real here everyone knows a lady up the road who cuts their auntys hair in the kitchen, is she declaring every fiver, probably not, has she had any training, probably not for 20 odd years. Who cares to be honest, this has probably been going on since hairdressing was invented before we were all born.

Im mobile and to make it successful its a massive cost and such hard work, I cant see anyone who wasnt qualified or doing good sets of nails or cheapo nails being able to afford to build it up and buy quailty products surviving for long. Plus I want to add I dont see anything wrong with people having another job say in an office and then having their home salon/mobile in the evening. I think what matters is the therapist has the right training and insurance, a passion and great technique, willing to work hard and to continue their education, and is legal and above board, and follows all saftey properly etc. x

Well I'm mobile and hope to have a home salon some day :) and I knock spots off some of the salons work and hygiene around here! But I think it should be regulated to weed out the idiots who are not trained or hygiene is non existent. I'd actually welcome a certificte basis like hotel standards lol
I think there is room for salons, mobile and home salons as all have different attractions for clients xx

I am a mobile / work from home Therapist and rented a room in a salon for a while, which had very wealthy clients that spent lots of money

The salon was always busy and never had a quiet moment but was horrified to learn that they did not sanitise their manicure implements at all:eek:

when I first qualified I worked in a salon that offered Universal Contour wraps On one occasion i watched the manager rinse the bandages out after been taken of a client, in the sink and straight back in to the warmer for another client :eek:

Thank god i was horrified, but it did make me think how this salon was all about cutting corners to fit more clients in to make money

Which made me a better beauty therapist after realising this was not the right way to conduct a business.

Opinions please!

Do mobile techs and home salons create a healthy alternative atmosphere for clients or is it simply making it easier for poorly qualified or unqualified techs to trade?

Does it create an easy hiding place for people to work in a cash in hand manor and not declare self employment?

Do you think that mobile and home salon work is good for the industry or bringing it down??

Be nice please, thought this might be a good debate :green:

I have been qualified for over 10 years, worked in both salon's and spas. I set up at home 18 months ago, I lost my job, had enough of working for other people and getting no credit for the hard work I did and being paid peanuts. Rents are too high, client's were moaning that they are paying too much in a salon, I have had a busy time this past 18 months client's are very happy coming to see me they know I'm not newly qualified, I have a very good reputation and yes I'm cheaper than a salon.

It's not about being cash in hand I pay tax. And yes mobile and home salon's are good for the industry not everyone wants going to a salon and it's more personally from home

This thread is boiling down to one thing, something we all agree on. BAD PRACTICE!! This can happen anywhere, it was just the other day i was reading in the hair geek about a salon using home hair dyes on paying clients. Could I get away with this being mobile?? Absolutely not. My colours are mixed infront of the client, they can see im not using something from superdrug, they can see exactly what I am doing from start to finish, nowhere to hide lol x

I think there is a place for all 3, i have a home salon and do some mobile work, am insured and trained and do my accounts lol! I class myself as professional and my hygene standards are high. I've had a new client recently comment on how clean my room was and how nice it was that i was using a fresh towel!! no wonder she had mould on one of her nails from the dirty salon she had used for the last two years, more fool her!

I have had good and bad experiences myself when visiting beauty salons but i guess like most things that's alot down to the individual therapist.

I would be more than happy to be inspected at home.

AJ x

This thread is boiling down to one thing, something we all agree on. BAD PRACTICE!! This can happen anywhere, it was just the other day i was reading in the hair geek about a salon using home hair dyes on paying clients. Could I get away with this being mobile?? Absolutely not. My colours are mixed infront of the client, they can see im not using something from superdrug, they can see exactly what I am doing from start to finish, nowhere to hide lol x

I agree. Bad practice is the root of the problems. Is there anything to stop it though?

Also, any opinions on the pro's and cons of working in a home salon in comparison to mobile or salon?? I work mobile and can list far more con's than pro's after a long day :lol: but would be interested in your thoughts on home salons.

Thanks to all who have replied, nice to read everyone views and nice that its all stayed friendly xxxxx

Latest posts

Back