Unhappy client

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tinkabella

Reaction score
I am worried sick and cant stop crying. Never before have i had a complaint. My first ever complaint may distroy me. I did a manicure, one of many. I Always offer extra for my ladies, wether it is french polish, hand massage, oils etc at no extra charge. She left me very happy, paid cash in full. Received a letter today saying how disssapointed she was wanted a refund and my insurance details. I am absolutely beside myself and have not stopped crying.

First off, have a massive hug and dry your tears :hug: Our first complaint can be a bit of an unnerving time.

What on earth can she be unhappy about with having had a manicure? It doesn't really make sense.
Did she explain to you in the letter why she wanted a refund and what was so wrong (in her opinion) with the work you'd done?

If it's just a refund she wants then why would she ask for your insurance details?

What's happened to/with her inbetween her leaving you very happy and paying with no issues to you receiving the letter?!?!

Something about this isn't right IMO

How long ago did you train? Was she a new client?

Did she state excactly what she was unhappy about?

Aww hun :hug:
Did she say what the problem was? Why would she want your insurance details?
Keep your chin up XX

did she say what inparticular she was unhappy with? My thoughts would be that she paid for a service without any complaint at the time therefore accepted it as being ok. Try not to let this get to you...easier said than done i know. If she hasn't given reasons then maybe find out what she isn't satisfied with and wheher you can put it right....is she a new customer...she could be one of those people who move from one therapist to another doing this. Rather than give her your details I would contact the insurance company and let them contact her....this is just my opinion.....I'm sure other geeks will have more experience and be able to advise you. Keep ur chin up. Lou x
Posted via Mobile Device

Here's a big hug for you! :hug:

In the time she was with me i established she had horses so put an extra top coat on to help preserve her nails. I buffed them polished them but slightly marked one of her thumbs whilst giving a hand massage. I asked her four times if I could re do the thumb nail as I could see a slight imperfection she said no that it was fine. She mad out she was very pleased. Her letter of complaint said her nails were sensative and her cuticles dry and spliting? She saw me saturday late afternoon and by sunday she had all these problems. I didnt even touch her cuticles apart from put oil on them because they looked dry. She is seeking proffesional advice from another salon, she said her nails are all flakey now but I dod not do any filing over the nail.

I am worried sick and cant stop crying. Never before have i had a complaint. My first ever complaint may distroy me. I did a manicure, one of many. I Always offer extra for my ladies, wether it is french polish, hand massage, oils etc at no extra charge. She left me very happy, paid cash in full. Received a letter today saying how disssapointed she was wanted a refund and my insurance details. I am absolutely beside myself and have not stopped crying.

try not to worry hun, im guessing you are fully qualified to carry out manicures, maybe contact your insurance company for advice....
......i very much doubt they would pay up for someone who is 'just' unhappy iykwim.......no one could claim on your car insurance if they didnt like how you drove ... think of it that way ;)

if she was dissapointed then why not say at the time??
maybe offer her a voucher for a reduced treatment but not a full refund.... you dont want them to take advantange of your good nature and think its okay to complain and get their money back

just had a thought.... was it due to polish not staying on??..... i always explain that due to natural nails having their own flex (and everyones nails have different strengths too) that we can never guarantee polish application but that their polish should last well for at least 5-7 days

if it is down to the polish not lasting maybe offer her a free polish and warn her it may not last

hth

Jess x

maybe you could attend when she visits the other nail tech,... so you are witness to what is being said. and maybe get some feedback

Hi hun, ye poor thing

when exactly did the lady have the manicure? was there anything strange about her nail beds that you noticed or might you have nicked her?

Also what exactly did the letter say?

Dont let this knock your confidence because it seems this lady is up to something, it's too wierd!

I'm thinking if she had a fungal infection or something she may be trying to blame you, but you have every right to know why your being asked for a refund and insurance details.

A lot of the geeks on here will be able to advise you, but find out as much as you can first

try relax because if you did nothing wrong she may just be chancing her arm

Hugs Pam xx

In the time she was with me i established she had horses so put an extra top coat on to help preserve her nails. I buffed them polished them but slightly marked one of her thumbs whilst giving a hand massage. I asked her four times if I could re do the thumb nail as I could see a slight imperfection she said no that it was fine. She mad out she was very pleased. Her letter of complaint said her nails were sensative and her cuticles dry and spliting? She saw me saturday late afternoon and by sunday she had all these problems. I didnt even touch her cuticles apart from put oil on them because they looked dry. She is seeking proffesional advice from another salon, she said her nails are all flakey now but I dod not do any filing over the nail.

it sounds to me like she expected one manicure to cure her 'dry horse hands' iykwim
when a course of treatments would be advisable for a client with a reall hands on hobby like horses

do you always polish before massage?
what is your manicure routine?

Jess x

just to add to my last post.... you said you asked your client if you could re polish a smudged nail.... if it was me id have just in a polite way 'told' her i was going to revarnish it
as in ooo let me fix that one ... and got my remover on it before she had time to reply ;)
also if you didnt do full cuticle work other than oiling then was she just having a mini manicure ?

Jess x

I've just spent the weekend with my sister who has a horse and my hands are so dry and sore after helping her twice!! So would agree with the previous post, unless this lady really looks after her hands and nails it's going to take much more than 1 manicure for her hands and nails to be great.
Posted via Mobile Device

Sorry just saw your post, i took ages typing!

the other salon are stirring big-time, call her bluff and offer to re-do if you want to and give her a complimentary nail treatment to bring home.

What was she doing at the other salon anyway, maybe as the therapist was over-buffing she decided to blame you!

Pam xx

She is seeking proffesional advice from another salon, she said her nails are all flakey now but I dod not do any filing over the nail.

:rolleyes: this sounds like the old classic...."OMG where did you go"....i hear it every time i go to a new hair salon and it drives me bonkers. Sounds to me like she has had her head filled by another salon.

If she want happy then she should have said so at the time...she could have done anything to those nails after she left you.

I would ring her or reply to her letter saying that you are sorry she wasn't happy with the service she provided but that as she appeared happy at the time it has left you quite shocked. I would address the issues she mentioned by saying that her cuticles where already dry and the cuticle oil you used was the only contact made, that if she would like to come back for you to see her nails you would be more than happy. I would also happily give her the details to my insurance company and if there is anything else I could do to help I will be happy to do so.

But i would not give her anything back....

Try not to worry....:hug:

just had a little look on the net re consumer rights and found a link to trading standards
problems with services - Trading Standards Institute

it mite help with knowing what rights the client has

there is also a website for consumer rights Consumer Direct
altho i couldnt find much info on complaining about services received

hth

Jess x

I agree with bagpuss reply to her and ask her to come back so you can have a look at her nails. I wouldn't refund without seeing them especially if I knew I had caused no damage and she was happy when she left. Someone has promted her to write to you I think. Call her bluff and ask for her to come back

I agree with people here.

But one question comes to mind, did you use solar oil? If yes could she be allergic to nuts? I have an aunt who is, and reacts very strong to solar oil, as it contains almond oil.... It's just a wild guess as I find i hard to believe anybody would in anyway have to complain about a manicure, when you didn't evet nick her or something.

Don't let it get to you, thats how some people are. And don't worry about bad reps, what will she tell people? I be they can tell for themselves that she has "horse hands", and re the nails being flakey isn't it just the enamel?:hug:

So sorry to hear of your complaint, can I just ask why you polish before the massage ? maybe am behind the times but I can't see how you can give a good hand massage without smudging the nails.

Hiya,

I personally would'nt worry too much about this clients threats. If you carried out the manicure service correctly (and I'm sure you did) then you have nothing to worry about.

There are some people out there who make a career out of complaining (and I just don't mean in our profession) just to get something for free. My bet is that if you offered her a free manicure she would take it.

If it were me, I would phone the insurance company just to see if she has a case or not with her complaint, this will ease your mind too you don't have to give your name, just make it sound like a general enquiry.

Was she in a hurry when she left you? With some clinets no matter how much you advise them on how long polish takes to dry etc, they don't listen and then go and ruin your hard work they try to turn the blame.

How many of us have done a lovely french paint, told the client that it will take approx and hour for the polish to be fully set, and then they dip into their bags and ruin it. Then look to us as if we then have an obligation to take it off and re-do it.

Unfortunaltely, it can only takes one client to knock your confidence, but don't let her, keep thinking of all the clients that are happy with your service and that return for more.

Chin Up

Mollylolly xx

Latest posts

Back