Unprofessional newspaper ad.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AngieLaraia

Reaction score
Hi fellow geeks,
I am a bit peeved at a following newspaper ad in the local west Australian paper, it went as follows:
NAIL TECHNICIANS, need a change? Backstabbing salon offering poor pay in an unfriendly environment looking for bored uneducated people to slap acrylic nails on ungrateful clients.

There was a article under it run by the paper asking why the unusual ad, their response was "we thought we would try something different"

Am I being a prude in thinking this is very unprofessional?? I didn't really see the funny side of it. I usually have a great sense of humour.

Thanks for letting me get it off my chest.

I think they must have been taking the 'attention grabbing' route.

Not sure that I would apply for a job there - though I would ring them out of curiosity.....

S xx

it got your attention ........

Hi fellow geeks,
I am a bit peeved at a following newspaper ad in the local west Australian paper, it went as follows:
NAIL TECHNICIANS, need a change? Backstabbing salon offering poor pay in an unfriendly environment looking for bored uneducated people to slap acrylic nails on ungrateful clients.

There was a article under it run by the paper asking why the unusual ad, their response was "we thought we would try something different"

Am I being a prude in thinking this is very unprofessional?? I didn't really see the funny side of it. I usually have a great sense of humour.

Thanks for letting me get it off my chest.

Well it certainly is different and would have caught my attention, as it did yours !

But yes, as a client reading that I could interpret it in a negative way and think "Is this what they think of me or Is this how they treat their staff ?"

However, I think most people would probably see the funny / lighter side of it.

Marlise

I don't find it funny.

A little too close to the truth in my opinion, or an owner with an over inflated ego?

I wouldn't want to work there!

The advert is too cocky and derogative towards any prospective applicant

The advert is too cocky and derogative towards any prospective applicant

So therefore only the confident would apply, perhaps this it the ads intention, ....... lord knows when i advertise i have to sort the chaff from the hay.

Perhaps it depends on the reputation of the salon, which I don't know.

If it were good quality, well reknowned salon in town, then it could be taken as being a little tongue in cheek and wry, but if it were a dodgy NSS, then I would see it as a little flippant.

I think they might have been playing on the reverse psychology aspect and if so then it would read like this...

Nail Technicians, need a change?
High class salon offering good salary in a friendly environment, we're looking for highly educated nail technicians to create flattering, natural looking enhancements on faithful, longstanding clients.

Quite often reverse psychology works wonders :wink2:

That's a great way to look at it Sandi.......I guess I am a bit proud of being a professional!! :)

I think they might have been playing on the reverse psychology aspect and if so then it would read like this...

Nail Technicians, need a change?
High class salon offering good salary in a friendly environment, we're looking for highly educated nail technicians to create flattering, natural looking enhancements on faithful, longstanding clients.

Quite often reverse psychology works wonders :wink2:

Lol that's how I would have read it ... and I would have also thought, hey these people have a sense of humour as warped as mine!

I wouldn't have responded to the ad.

Simply because of the picture it paints to consumers. Nope, don't like that ad one bit, and I'm quirky too.

Ah well.

:lol:
I think it's quite funny really!
BUT, if I wanted to apply for the job, then I would be extra careful in making sure they were'nt just being honest!

Agreed gets ya attention.
I'd send a friend to go check the place out :eek: You'd just have to

Makes you wonder whats next lol

XX J XX

curiosity would have got the better of me and i would have popped in:)

Really made me laugh - I'd apply like a shot.:):)

Latest posts

Back