Unqualified, unexperienced nail tech(?)

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meme

Reaction score
If you were in my situation, what would you do?

One of my friend started nail business.
She has never trained and unexperienced.
She has probably done about 10 full sets of acrylic on herself and a couple of sets to her friends, that's all.

What she does is really scary.

She has no knowledge of hygiene, she bought acrylic kit from the auction site.
And more, she uses drill bits (for enhancement) with e-file which is designed only for natural nails! ( you know, the cheap one like £5)
- well she is very adventurous, drill bits don't fit in the e-file,so she filled the gap with l&p :eek:)

I don't have to mention you that she has no insurance. (Of course)

Now, she's giving away her numbers to strangers and surprisingly got the first paying appointment for next week.
(..... her price is £10 for full set, £5 for infill.......:rolleyes:)

Should I have a word with her, or just leave her?
The thing is, I know she wouldn't listen to me and would think I am jealous and am trying to interfere with her BUSINESS.

To be honest I want to leave her and wait for her to learn lesson.
Do you agree or disagree with me?

the mind boggles:eek:

i cant believe she would even bother doing them for that price anyway.

maybe you could ask casually about what company she has her insurance with, it sounds like shes gonna need it.:confused:

Thats shocking i feel sorry for all those poor people whos nails she ruins:eek:

" Insurance? Do I need it?"
That's what she said.:lol:

I and many other nail geeks have spent a fortune on training and the products we buy, and people like your friend get right up my nose somewhat...!!

I have read to many stories of people buying a cheap nail kit, and call themselves a 'nail technician'!! As for Insurance she wont get that as she
needs to show her certificates which she cant do as she is not....trained!!

I would like to be a fly on the wall if she damages a clients nails and they decide to sue her!!!

My advice to your friend is to quit NOW and get some proper TRAINING!!!

I'm especially scared of her DIY drill.
That's main operated manicure e-file with drill bit for enhancement attached to it and also the gap in between them filled with l&p.
What kind of accident could happen?
Any idea, please?

That's main operated manicure e-file with drill bit for enhancement attached to it and also the gap in between them filled with l&p.
Any idea, please?

I dread to think tbh :eek:, obviously she has no proper training in this either and it is an accident waiting to happen! These kind of people make my blood boil. :irked:

Also how would she get the drill bit out to clean and disinfect it? :eek:

Last edited:
eek! What if the l&p in the drill bit gets worn away by friction and heat and the drill bit pings out and takes someones eye out! Ok, being slightly overdramatic, but that's just me lol!

Tell her that basicaly shes going to be sued for damaging a clients nails as she has no insurance. The inland revenue will be down on her like a ton of bricks because shes not paying tax. Her car insurance is invalid because shes using it for business say she crashes and car found with her kit etc no insurance as shes obviously using it for business. Tell her if shes brought it from abroad it could be fake stolen of contain mma. If she wont listen to you say I dont want to know anything about it just dont talk to me about it because I realy dont want to know!!!!! What a discrase!!!!!!!!!:hug:

Tell her that basicaly shes going to be sued for damaging a clients nails as she has no insurance. The inland revenue will be down on her like a ton of bricks because shes not paying tax. Her car insurance is invalid because shes using it for business say she crashes and car found with her kit etc no insurance as shes obviously using it for business. Tell her if shes brought it from abroad it could be fake stolen of contain mma. If she wont listen to you say I dont want to know anything about it just dont talk to me about it because I realy dont want to know!!!!! What a discrase!!!!!!!!!:hug:

:eek:I am lost for words :eek:...if i COULD talk ,i would say this !!

I dont want to know anything about it just dont talk to me about it because I realy dont want to know!!!!! What a discrase!!!!!!!!!:hug:

That's it!!!

Thanx everyone.

I'll warn her once again, and it'll be the last. I got nothing to with her about this matter.
End of.

Any idea, please?

This is a nightmare situation, if the drill bits don't fit perfectly centred, they will spin at odd angles and take chunks out of the nails, it will also make it vibrate like mad. She is really foolish to be doing what she is doing, but it's awkward for you to tell her how it is.

Hopefully it's a phase she is going through and will loose interest before someone sues her.

People will soon see the quality of her work and word soon gets round.
She'll find another "hobby" soon eh?
Be interesting if someone did sue her.

no one will go hen shes charging a tenner a set anyway, you'd be thinking something has to be wrong. plus they are bound to look rediculous so what clients she does get will complain.

I agree.... Her sets of nails will lift and look terrible... people will not return.. hopefully not for a White and Pink fill with that " DIY" drill.. cricky that is funny and scary all at once... work gets around and someone will scare her and she will wake up to her self..
Then she will need a friend... xxoxx

My daughter is currently doing her NVQ in media make up and also learning skin care, etc. She is also undertaking a course in nails and her work is actually remarkably good.

She is constantly being told by her friends that their mums etc wouldn't mind a set but she is concerned that at almost 17 she might not be taken seriously if she were to advertise her services in a few weeks to make extra money. Her course is only 3 days per week and she is desperately trying to earn more money to put back into further training.

Do you think she is right or do you think her work is good that age doesn't matter?

Suzy:confused:

I agree ..that it's a phase she is going through ,she'll probably loose interest now that you are going to let her know the dangers and report her and that will someone sue her, she's your friend and probably thought as you do nail extensions that she wants to follow along in your footsteps, usually gentle but firm words work.

It beggars belief what some people do.:irked:

I would let her get on with it.....she's very soon going to spectacularly trip up big time.
She'll soon realise, when people come back to her with infections/damage, horrific lifting, that she's actually useless and dangerous and will not have a clue what to say to these people.

I'd leave her to it, she can clean up her own mess.

Last edited:
:eek: It is not just the drill she is going to cause damage with but also over exposure, inmho I would report her for her own good as well as the customers, she is going togive nail techs a bad name as they will think other techs are like her.

Maybe you should have her round to your house and show her this thread, or maybe not as with all the info and tutorials on here she might use them, and that would be just as much a travesty

Leave her to it. It's not your responsibility to tell her what to do, and you could do yourself more harm than good by trying to intervene. She's a fool to herself if she thinks she will get far with this, and clients who expect a good set of nails for £10 are equally foolish. If you try and talk her out of this she may think its sour grapes and bad mouth you to her clients, whereas if you leave her to it you may have the potential to pick her clients up when she makes a mess of their nails and need a decent tech to sort them out. Me personally? I would be sly. Find out where she's distributing her details, and distribute yours in the same way to the same audience, making sure that your literature states that you are qualified, insured and experienced.

All these other issues such as car insurance, paying tax etc, those are irrelevant. You dont know whether she intends to pay tax or insure her car for business purposes or not, and she could easily do these things, they are not good points of argument.

I know it's annoying, but dont let it worry you, we all know that clients are the harshest critics and they will see her out of business sooner than you ever could!

Latest posts

Back