Uv lamp used for removal

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JERSEY JOCK

Reaction score
Hi, Just had a regular customer come for her calgel, she was in the uk for a few weeks and had biogel applied. She said when they soaked off her old calgel they wrapped in foil and acetone and put her hand in the uv lamp, they said it quickened up the removal, surely this isn't safe, opinions please:)

I never heard of anyone doing this :s

Then again I had a client Tuesday whos previous nail tech told her that when she wanted them off she could "bite" through them. Yes the nail tech actually told the client to put her nails in her mouth and bite to crack and remove the enhancement at home, "no need to go to a salon when you can do it yourself" yes she was actually told that!

xxx

I wonder if this was the same place that put a second tip on top of the first one for a rebalance:rolleyes:
Don't know if it would do any harm, someone else would have to comment, but I wouldn't do it, wouldn't want it done to me and wouldn't recomend it.
What's wrong with a heat pad for goodness sake:smack:

Hi, Just had a regular customer come for her calgel, she was in the uk for a few weeks and had biogel applied. She said when they soaked off her old calgel they wrapped in foil and acetone and put her hand in the uv lamp, they said it quickened up the removal, surely this isn't safe, opinions please:)

Yowzers! Have never heard of that. Putting foil under the lamp? Never tried but surely that cant be comfortable or safe

I do it. It is the same as putting them in heated mitts or dipping their fingertips in parrafin or setting the acetone in a bowl of warm water. It only takes 2 minutes in the uv lamp to effectively remove sog's and gel polishes.

ive never heard of that, but comming on here you learn something new every day!
can i just ask do you put acetone on to cotton wool then on to the extension and wrap in foil and under the uv lamp? if this works i shall have a go on myself my extensions could do with comming off quicker as i carnt put them on myself with being left handed so have to go a salon and when i want to remove them it can take hours! x

I do it. It is the same as putting them in heated mitts or dipping their fingertips in parrafin or setting the acetone in a bowl of warm water. It only takes 2 minutes in the uv lamp to effectively remove sog's and gel polishes.

I am not having a dig, I'm curious, isn't there a chance of the foil becoming to hot?
My concern is that it might be possible to burn a client, or even have the asatone catch fire? I don't know if it is possible, because I don't know how hot a u.v. lamp gets, where as I do know that a heat pad does.
Any of our experts on line?

i ve never tried it but tutor at Bio told us to do this on stubborn nails!

Acetone has a boiling point of 60 degrees. I don't think u.v lamps get warmer than that do they? Has CC my nails says, its the same has putting them in foils then warm water? No?

Not too sure myself, i've never heard of it either and im also curious so im watching this thread. :)

I went for an interview at a salon once and they had a client sat with foils and acetone in the uv lamp....scared me,but on the other hand I do use heated mitts (foils,acetone,cotton mitt,heated mitt) on my clients...although I dont view this as dangerous I know others may do.

xxx

Well my logical mind would tell me that warmth, vapours and an electrical ignition source (ie the bulb housing ) near a flammable liquid is not being too intelligent.

Hot water is not an ignition source so not the same thing at all in actual fact.

Heated mits keep wires protected to a certain extent but I would not use them myself as they are a potential ignition source if the acetone escaped and melted through to the wires.

I suppose many will keep doing silly things like this until someone gets badly hurt/burned and then people who aren't thinking very intelligently now, will be forced sit up and take notice. Usual way these things go!

This was my thinking Gigi, I'd like to say my chemisty teacher would be proud of me, but truth is he'd be gob smacked:lol:

I use cotton wool and foil and body heat. But I have had clients this winter come in with very cold hands, so I have used my Minx lamp for a few minutes. The heat comes from above, safe distance, there is no acetone contact with anything electrical, no chance of clients sparking up or my equiptment being ruined.
works for us xxxx

Oh my!!!

I'm a gut instinct person and my gut is saying, NO!!!

I wouldn't be game to try this on myself, let alone a client.

If it was something that was safe to do, I would think we would have all seen it being discussed in all the nails mags etc.

I wonder what Doug Schoon would have to say about it??
He would be the one to know if it is as dangerous as what some of us think it is.

Yes, I place a piece of acetone saturated cotton on the nail and folded over the f/e, wrap the entire thing in heavy duty foil and give it a squeeze and in the lamp the go for 2 minutes if their hands are cold, 1 minute if not. Just got done with a client not 10 minutes ago and I mentioned this to her and asked her if she had any concerns; she said no the lamp barely puts out enough heat to warm up her cold hands! And there is no acetone seeping out anywhere and the foil has a good seal around her fingers, so she is not worried at all--and neither am I.

Is this procedure for all enhancements? Gelish? Shellac?

I use it for all acetone base removals with no issues. I do prefer to use Lil' Dippers for L&P though.

Well im sorry but Im shocked:eek:

Firstly what a waste of UV bulb time lol,,,secondly,,WHY

I wrap and place hands under hot water bottle which is wrapped in towel. After 5 mins give client hot drink the proceed to scrape that hand, then other.

I do IMO think the UV lamp is not needed for removal. Why not use our Infra red Minx lamp???

xxx

Why should I keep a hot water bottle around and have to go fill it with hot water when my lamps are already on the table to either side of my client? To each his own.....

Well I see the Uv lamp as unnecessary. A waste of quality uv time with your lamp (time costs) a nice hot water bottle with solar balm applied to clients lateral folds beforehand is lovely and works super fast:)

Latest posts

Back