Very old Nail Competition photos

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nailzoo

Reaction score
1989 even, these brought back many memories.
The short video at the end explains what he nails were (and did).
I was such a dag :)
1989 Competitions

I saw these nails that Carl did when we visited in his salon in Sydney ... bloody amazing they were.

SO innovative and SO original (just like Carl really :lol:)!! Where has all that gone in competitions these days???

I've never seen anything like them before or since in any competition I've judged.

The fact that they are still in existence and still the mechanics work perfectly speaks for itself about the workmanship that went into them.

Carl,
Thanks for posting! Talk about an 80's flashback! You were and still are quite a creative talent:)

Have a fabulous day!!

Mastiffmom
CND Grand Master

Totally amazing, I am in awe! :)

I've had to watch this several times - couldn't believe my eyes......they are amazing, great pics too :)

Totally amazing, I am in awe! :)

It's your fault :) making me dig through my old pictures.

One day I'm gonna convert some old video footage.

My morning interview with Jan Bragula (now Arnold) in 1988 is priceless.

Amazing...thanks for sharing that with us.
:hug:

It's your fault :) making me dig through my old pictures.

One day I'm gonna convert some old video footage.

My morning interview with Jan Bragula (now Arnold) in 1988 is priceless.

Ooops :eek:, so glad you did though, looking forward to seeing all kinds of amazing stuff. :green:

BRILLIANT!!

Love it!

I love seeing stuff that's a step away from the ordinary. They are certainly that! There's beautiful work out there. But as Gigi said, I haven't seen anything remotely as original as that in recent comps that I've checked out in mags or online. How well did they place, in that comp? Were they 'ready' for you?

Thanks for sharing and looking forward to seeing the other 'old' treasures you dig up:!::!:

Food for thought: in 1989, I was finishing highschool..... lol gosh, how times change!!

It's all very in-keeping with the 80's theme going on at the mo that some of us missed first time around, maybe this style of competing will also come back in vogue! Looks Fab and Amazingly well thought out n planned

The true meaning of nail 'Technician' these are amazing Carl.

Can you make them and do a step by step or video? please please please:hug::hug::hug:

BRILLIANT!!

Love it!

I love seeing stuff that's a step away from the ordinary. They are certainly that! There's beautiful work out there. But as Gigi said, I haven't seen anything remotely as original as that in recent comps that I've checked out in mags or online. How well did they place, in that comp? Were they 'ready' for you?

Thanks for sharing and looking forward to seeing the other 'old' treasures you dig up:!::!:

Food for thought: in 1989, I was finishing highschool..... lol gosh, how times change!!

I got second (politics), the hinge on one pinkie cracked, (I made 8 of them on the floor, even the hinges were made from acrylic), the thumbnails squirted blood as the hands crawled across the table by themselves.

Many of my nail art pic have to be explained (as they actually do things).

jan01.jpg

Me explaining to the judges
jan02.jpg

I never wore many clothes back in those days
nailz02.jpg

this one made a fountain (my garden of Eden) from the nails, the nails were normal, then the second tier was upside down, which flowed into an acrylic pond molded onto the nail (when this filled), it flowed down another upside down nail into a pond filled with ducks, lillypads, flowers and frogs all made from acrylic, (as the water bubbled the frog turned around on the lillypad) the overflow fed into another pond kinda like rapids), then the overflow from the second pond fed into a bucket and was pumped back up and into the nails . Live snakes at a nail comp and all I wore was a figleaf:)

fountain.jpg

the same thing presented on a mannequins hand.

My aim was to find different "uses" for nails, not just decorate them.

ash.jpg

Got this idea sitting on the toilet (we had a marble floor) and I removed a slab just to take to the competitions.

Last edited:
The true meaning of nail 'Technician' these are amazing Carl.

Can you make them and do a step by step or video? please please please:hug::hug::hug:

This was 20 years ago !!!!!!!:)
A step by step would spoil the whole thing.... "imagination" is the key.
GO MENTAL, think outside the box, don't use instructions.

Instructions are someone else's idea.
fan.jpg

Brilliant Carl !!!!! I love these pics xx That first nail is ace I watched it several times trying to work out how it was done .. work fab for a Edward scissor hands theme too xx

Wow love those pics thanks for sharing

I wasn't even in this world at 1989 he he

Thankyou so much for posting these pictures and the link, your work is really inspiring, you can tell just by looking at your creations what a passion you have for nails. I cant wait to see what else you dig up.
Jo.Xx

have you posted the video on your you tube at all for some reason i have never been able to play videos off your website...i always have to view them on you tube

Wow just loving looking at these and seeing your talent shine :)
The only thing that annoyed me is these were 20 years ago yet you look the same have you got a secret against ageing lol

Sorry - i really couldn't focus on the genius nails as I was too busy staring at the body - wow never realised nail comps were so sexy!! my shallowness revealed.........

wow, very talented and original, and you haven't changed at all, I think you ought to tell us all your secret lol :hug: x

Latest posts

Back