Very old Nail Competition photos

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1989 even, these brought back many memories.
The short video at the end explains what he nails were (and did).
I was such a dag :)
1989 Competitions

The nails were FAB but the fashion made me smile! brought back soooo many memories :) x

Love them all! Every single one of them:hug:

This was 20 years ago !!!!!!!:)
A step by step would spoil the whole thing.... "imagination" is the key.
GO MENTAL, think outside the box, don't use instructions.

Instructions are someone else's idea.
fan.jpg

OK fair enough:lol:, but you can't blame me for asking, I like your ideas:green:

amazing work.:hug:We need more like this,I see a challenge coming on:eek:

Carl,
I am so enjoying the other photos you posted in this thread. I so appreciate how you think outside the box. Someone asked me recently "do you sit up at night and think of stuff". Clearly as you stated you gain inspiration from many situations (the toilet) but I do not believe your mind ever stops. Please do keep digging up old photos. It is fabulous.

Kind Regards,
Mastiffmom

Sniff...sniff... I miss the 80's. Great pics, thanks for posting! :hug:

The 80's had great dance music, and a lot of interesting things to offer.
Ok... maybe some of the hairdos and outfits were a bit questionable
Nancy20Wilson1.jpg
(A guitarist boyfriend and I HAD that hairdo :o and I DID dress that way for partying)

But apparently we had great nails back then too, and I just didn't know it.
That's when I first started dabbling in nail art, on my own nails. The very first thing I ever did was put candy cane stripes on my nails at Xmas. I was still in highschool. Everyone thought I was bonkers.:lol:

Keep sharing Carl.
I'm LOVING it!!

How about shoulder pads, studded belt and a midrift ? :cry:

My scanner is playing up, so these pictures are not as clear as I'd like em ..... but you get the idea.
A true fashion victim, I suppose you had to live it....
pads.jpg

How about shoulder pads, studded belt and a midrift ? :cry:

My scanner is playing up, so these pictures are not as clear as I'd like em ..... but you get the idea.
A true fashion victim, I suppose you had to live it....
pads.jpg

Now that is a look I remember - we all had spongy shoulders:lol:

Sorry - i really couldn't focus on the genius nails as I was too busy staring at the body - wow never realised nail comps were so sexy!! my shallowness revealed.........

Costume previews were quite commonplace at the salon

costume01.jpg

costume02.jpg

Now thats a couple of outfits :green:

HEY!!! Apart from you (mwah) do I recognise someone else in that picture??? Is that Carole-Anne???

Costume previews were quite commonplace at the salon

costume01.jpg

costume02.jpg

Astonishing work Carl:hug: & light years before most of us were even thinking about nails, let alone - some others were not born yet (I was!!)

That waterfall, pond & rapids with the turning frog & all is bonkers & fab all at the same time - who, in the 80's, other than you, would ever think of doing & creating stuff like that from acrylic, meant for nails!???! You certainly are original mate & totally brill! Keep the pics coming!

I've got to say, you had an awesome bod on you back then!!!

I loved the 80's and I used to buy the kits from the chemists that told you to glue the tip 1/2 way down your nail - file the join, but keep the dust in place & add more glue to the dust, let it dry & then file again etc until you had filed through your nail plate lol!

Astonishing work Carl:hug: & light years before most of us were even thinking about nails, let alone - some others were not born yet (I was!!)

That waterfall, pond & rapids with the turning frog & all is bonkers & fab all at the same time - who, in the 80's, other than you, would ever think of doing & creating stuff like that from acrylic, meant for nails!???! You certainly are original mate & totally brill! Keep the pics coming!

I've got to say, you had an awesome bod on you back then!!! Gawd, tell him he still has or we are all in schtuck :green:

I loved the 80's and I used to buy the kits from the chemists that told you to glue the tip 1/2 way down your nail - file the join, but keep the dust in place & add more glue to the dust, let it dry & then file again etc until you had filed through your nail plate lol!

Gotta keep the man happy:green:

Bev, OMG, that's how I got started, I was a chef and my boss used to get them done that way professionally and then they would sell her the kit in case they fell off. They were so ugly.

When I threw in the towel (well the tea towel actually), I found a sculptured nail kit in a shop and did my neighbors nails after she did them with one of those tips kits.

The sculpture kit had a stiff nylon brush (like a polish brush) and flimsy files, I followed the instructions (not knowing what I was doing) and did my first set in 6 hours .... she went for an interview at a hair salon and they commented on her nails, she told them about me and they knew me from dancing ...... I went to work at that salon 3 days later:)

I hadn't even done a manicure hen the first one came in (the hairdresser rushed me out the back and gave me quick instructions ......

And I've never looked back:eek:

I kicked the scanner today and it's working better now, I have re-scanned all the images and they look much crisper now!!!!!

ORIGINAL LINK HAS BEEN UPDATED WITH MORE PICS TODAY

costume03.jpg

Inaugural Australian Competition February 1988
marble.jpg

Toilet floor inspired Nail Art
old_salon.jpg

One my old salon pictures

Last edited:
HEY!!! Apart from you (mwah) do I recognise someone else in that picture??? Is that Carole-Anne???

hahahaha, Carole Anne would kill you for that.
This is a client of mine called "Liz".
Now I have re-scanned the picture, it should be much clearer :)

Carl you didnt like clothes much did you! hehe x

AMAZING
Couldnt get over you with a fag in your mouth at the comp though, you could smoke anywhere back then lol

Love the pics, very inspiring

Gotta keep the man happy:green:

Course he has Adele! Well, I assume so judging by more recent pics when Geeg went over. Not that he got his kit off infront of Geeg or anything I'm sure:lol:

Bev, OMG, that's how I got started, I was a chef and my boss used to get them done that way professionally and then they would sell her the kit in case they fell off. They were so ugly.

When I threw in the towel (well the tea towel actually), I found a sculptured nail kit in a shop and did my neighbors nails after she did them with one of those tips kits.

The sculpture kit had a stiff nylon brush (like a polish brush) and flimsy files, I followed the instructions (not knowing what I was doing) and did my first set in 6 hours .... she went for an interview at a hair salon and they commented on her nails, she told them about me and they knew me from dancing ...... I went to work at that salon 3 days later:)

I hadn't even done a manicure hen the first one came in (the hairdresser rushed me out the back and gave me quick instructions ......

And I've never looked back:eek:

I kicked the scanner today and it's working better now, I have re-scanned all the images and they look much crisper now!!!!!

ORIGINAL LINK HAS BEEN UPDATED WITH MORE PICS TODAY

costume03.jpg

Inaugural Australian Competition February 1988
marble.jpg

Toilet floor inspired Nail Art
old_salon.jpg

One my old salon pictures

I used to buy these kits & put them on myself at work during lunch and then did my colleagues at work during lunch, they all loved them & I often did it, without charging them! They just went & got the kits and brought them into work, then I discovered the acrylic kits in Boots, with the little pots of L&P & loved the idea that I could cover up my natural nail and just used the white block too file them smooth - thought that was much healthier - they didn't last me long though - can't imagine why not!:lol:

Latest posts

Back