Violence in London

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Listening to the news reports from Salford and Manchester where I live made my blood boil tonight.

One woman's response was 'what do you expect when there's nothing for the kids to do' and that the rioting was justified because 'a guy was shot for nothing'.

This basically sums up what is wrong with British society. Mindless justification of her childrens' behaviour highlights the fact these 'parents' are fully supporting their thuggery.

I also believe that on the whole the Police are trying to protect society and would only have shot someone as a LAST resort. Therefore I very much doubt this person who was shot had 'done nothing'.

As for children having nothing to do, how on earth does that justify violence and theft? It does NOT in any shape or form.

I couldn't wait to work when I was younger, lying about my age when I was 12 to get a paper round (you had to be 13) then getting my first job at 16 after having the interview on my 16th birthday.

Now is the excuse of 'there's no jobs'. THERE ARE JOBS EVERYWHERE!!!

Search online or get a free jobs newspaper and there are pages and pages of jobs. Yes they may be minimum wage but what do people expect as a first job? 100k salary?

People are CHOOSING not to work, there ARE jobs. The reason for this is a fundamental failure of the Government in the UK which has created, fostered and propagated a culture of work shy people who can choose not to work.

This is a minority of people, however this has been propagated by the ease in which to fudge the system to get benefits.

Successive Governments made done some half hearted attempts to prevent this, but it has been easy for people who choose not to work to stay on benefits. For example, they have to be seen to be looking for work to get job seekers allowance. This could easily be flouted by them turning up for an interview and deliberately performing badly or being late for example meaning they don't get the job.

I'm sure most of the world will be incredulous at the fact these people have their houses paid for, their council tax paid and actually get cash payments ON TOP of all this whilst the majority of the hard working society pay £50 A WEEK (this is the average portion of the total tax taken out of a full time workers pay reserved for benefits).

Therefore, people who work full time pay around £200 a month out of their total tax which goes directly on benefits. How does this make me feel? INCENSED!

I absolutely believe in a society where we support those who cannot work through disability or illness. I DO NOT support one where we pay the way for people who choose not to work.

This violence and thieving is now endemic in our society and may now never be weeded out unless we get tough NOW.

The police need to be allowed to use force to dispel these gangs included water cannon, rubber bullets and tear gas. A show of reasonable force should be a deterrent for those choosing to create disorder, havoc and riot on our streets.

For the first time in my life last night, I felt frightened in my own city. I stood on my balcony in Manchester city centre with a Police helicopter hovering above me and smoke billowing up around the building as the petrol station opposite was looted by a gang of 20 masked youths. All I could think of was a)is it our building on fire? and b) what on earth is going to happen if they set the petrol station alight?

This has to be stopped NOW. We should never have to live in fear in our own homes from rioters again.

100% agree, well said. It seems really strange that no parents have come forward and owned up to their kids being out there. In my opinion, and this is only mine, half the kids are feral (sp). No guidance from parents, mentors or otherwise.

Plus I sincerely hope you are safe x

from Debbie's HTC Sense

All quiet tonight! and feral is the perfect word! x

What did you mean by sp?

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using SalonGeek

What did you mean by sp?

I think it means spelling ie I am not quite sure if I have spelled the previous word right.

I keep hearing about 'deprivation', yet most of them seemed to have received the details about the riots on their blackberries?! I agree life might be hard, but we have nothing to compare to Uganda, the Mumbai slums and the like, we have a welfare state, free education, free healthcare etc etc, I don't see those people looting or setting fire to their neighbours dwellings and businesses - when they do revolt they revolt against the ruling elite. I suspect when these people say deprived they mean they can't always afford the latest iPhone and shop in Waitrose....

Last edited:
Ooohh lol well I'm glad all was quiet last night I think the rain Held them off as well.

I keep hearing about 'deprivation', yet most of them seemed to have received the details about the riots on their blackberries?! I agree life might be hard, but we have nothing to compare to Uganda, the Mumbai slums and the like, we have a welfare state, free education, free healthcare etc etc, I don't see those people looting or setting fire to their neighbours dwellings and businesses - when they do revolt they revolt against the ruling elite. I suspect when these people say deprived they mean they can't always afford the latest iPhone and shop in Waitrose....

Here here

I know it makes me laugh. When I was at school I used to get teased as my Mum could never afford the top brands of trainers, clothes, etc, and she worked full time. Somehow though all the chavs from the rough parts with parents that didn't work had all the brands. How does THAT work out?

yes! well said martin.

I know it makes me laugh. When I was at school I used to get teased as my Mum could never afford the top brands of trainers, clothes, etc, and she worked full time. Somehow though all the chavs from the rough parts with parents that didn't work had all the brands. How does THAT work out?

When my grandad returned from the war there was obviously a massive housing shortage due to the bombings etc, so my grandad, nan, my dad and his brother & sister all lived in one small room of a house, with another family in another room, another family in another room etc. They were also rationed as rationing continued after the war, especially rationing of cheese. Yet despite the fact many of that generation had oftentimes been torn from their families to fight, seen their friends and loved ones die, lost their houses etc etc they didn't descend into the savagery that certain elements of our so called 'deprived' and 'poverty stricken' did.

I daresay the items were shoplifted!

A few years ago my brother and I went to visit our cousins in the south of France. My bro has never lived abroad and was horrified when while walking through a local park my cousin Nathalia started taking the pee out of a group of teenagers who were playing their heavy rock cd very loudly. The police arrived very quickly, the music went of, the lads all stood up straight and didn't say a word while the police talked to them. The police sent them on their way and as they left one of the police men held out his hand for the cd. The lad handed it over with out a word and the police man smashed it against the side of the bin and dropped the bits in. My brother was gob smacked. The police were not wearing stab vests, nor were they armed with anything more then a night stick.
6 months later my daughter named a local drug dealer who was selling crack in his school playground. She named him as the person who had broken into our neighbours home and stolen a dvd player. Our local bobby was trying to get an asbo on the kid so that he would get excluded from our estate. This kids crew were all on our estate and he knew the kid would break his asbo conditions. The moment he did that the police would have just cause to raid every single home that his crew lived in, every lock up that he was known to visit as well as his own home. They would have found drugs in most of those addresses.
Not only did the cps say it wasn't worth prosecuting this kid for a £32 dvd player they also let his solicitor see the statement my daughter had given complete with our address.
We had our cars smashed up, our home broken into and Kay was told by one of the gang girls that if they caught her alone, she would have her face carved up for being a snitch. We went through a year of hell before we finally managed to move away.
All because the cps (crown prosecution service) didn't have the sense to call our local bobby and ask him why he wanted to prosecute such a minor offence.
This is where it starts. The kids get away with minor offences, so next time it's a bit more, and so long as when they go to court they say 'I'm very sorry for what I did' They get away with a caution for a misdemeaner.
By the time they are 14 they have conformation that they do not need to respect the law because the law is soft and can't be bothered with them. That's not our police fault it's the cps and the council, they are the ones who set the policy and say it's to small to bother with.
In France they bother with the small stuff and the kids respect the police, they respect their teachers and yes they respect their parents.
Fix the leak when it's a drip, don't wait for it to become a flood.

Got to say, I'm in favour of evicting the rioters from their council homes. Especially the adults that went rioting and looting, with in the family home.

Got to say, I'm in favour of evicting the rioters from their council homes. Especially the adults that went rioting and looting, with in the family home.

Second that. If they are that pi**ed off with society then they can give back the houses and benefits that society has given them.

My sister rents a house and works full time, as does her boyfriend, and they also have a small baby. The wage they get is actually less than they'd get on benefits if they didn't work. Her friend however is on benefits and has things my sister could never afford and keeps on having more baby's that we, the tax payer, pay for. The difference between them is that my sister was brought up to have PRIDE, and has worked from the age of 13. She will always work as she would be too ashamed not to.
It's a shame others (including her friend) weren't brought up the same as we'd have a far richer society if they were.

There is NO military here to even defend us. They are too busy bailing out other nations without our consent to be able to help their own citizens!

Well said!!

Did anyone see the truly SHOCKING statistics today? This will make your blood boil:

Out of the 1600 confirmed arrested rioters, up to 97% of them were UNEMPLOYED!

So not only have they not paid a penny of tax, they won't be contributing a penny Towards the cleanup!

Whilst sitting in jail they will have access to a gym, church, library and playstations and tv's in their room.., oh and the cost of all that? The equivalent of £38,000 a year per inmate!

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhh! (steam shoots out of ears, eyes pop!)

Did anyone see the truly SHOCKING statistics today? This will make your blood boil:

Out of the 1600 confirmed arrested rioters, up to 97% of them were UNEMPLOYED!

So not only have they not paid a penny of tax, they won't be contributing a penny Towards the cleanup!

Whilst sitting in jail they will have access to a gym, church, library and playstations and tv's in their room.., oh and the cost of all that? The equivalent of £38,000 a year per inmate!

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhh! (steam shoots out of ears, eyes pop!)

Unemployed maybe in our eyes but you can bet many of them have a very well paid career selling drugs and shoplifted and burgled gear.
Well all i can say is they are welcome to their rotten lives.I truly believe in Karma and that saying what goes around comes around they will get theirs eventually.

I understand your sentiment but then where are they going to live?

We have enough homeless and that is another big issue. (No pun intended!)

THE RIOTERS PRAYER
Our father, who art in prison, my mum knows not his name, thy Riots come, read it in the sun, in Birmingham, as it is in London, give us this day our Welfare bread & forgive us our looting, as we're happy to loot those who defend stuff against us, lead us not into employment but deliver us free housing, for thine is the tellies, the Burberry & the Barcardi, forever and ever...Innit!!!

Just a little light relief from it all.....

I understand your sentiment but then where are they going to live?

We have enough homeless and that is another big issue. (No pun intended!)

In my experience, and only my experience, I can't speak for everyone everywhere, but when myself and my son had to move out, plus I have long term health conditions, the council seemed to be housing the 'trouble makers' that signed up for housing along with me, first.

Were they known by authorities to cause havoc when they didn't get what they wanted- Yes.
Was it meant to be a point system to get housing- Yes.
Do I suspect the trouble makers were housed quicker over the quieter people in need- Yes.
Did I end up having to get private housing- Yes.
Is there plenty of private housing out there- Yes.

I think these trouble makers have manipulated the system like a little toddler can manipulate its parents, if it sees a weaknesses and can see when it has tantrums it gets what it wants, then the toddler will continue to have tantrums... but one day the toddler will push so far, that serious action needs to be taken.

These people hadn't ever been stupid, they had been very clever. They filled out forms and sat on their backsides and got paid. They became stupid when they wanted more, and then started some kind of 'war' to get more...

so they should go to the very beginning and start like so many people had done after the world wars. With nothing. Society is too easy on these sorts of people. We don't owe them anything.

Latest posts

Back