Waxing ... can it all be covered in just 1 day?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soul girl

Reaction score
Hey ....

Im looking to do a course in Beauty ( poss leaduing to a City & Guilds or NVQ) anyway, I've found that the Beauty Academy in Dartford do weekend classes which fit in perectly with me being a part time working mum.

I've noticed that they just do 1 day wax course .... is this enough time to learn about all the areas of the body - seems short to me?

Has anyone done these courses with the Beauty Academy and is there good feedback?

No training is long enough. You need to find the best course and then practise practise practise. It might be enough for you to decide if you want to do waxing. xxx

Waxing can be very difficult to master. I've found over the years that when I do an employee interview I always get them to do a 1/2 leg wax in their trade test. I'm not sure if it's a case of our local college not being very good at training waxing but the girls are always awful at waxing. They need sooo much more training & guidance it's untrue. And this is doing NVQ 2 with a reasonable amount of practise.

I'd say that 1 day is definately not long enough.

1 day is not really long enough in my opinion like the others said waxing can be hard to master and takes loads of practice but i dont think 1 day is long enough to learn all the differant parts of the body etc x

noway:green:

It will give you a taster but i whole heartedly agree with kims post:hug:

NO WAY

Ive been waxing for over 4 years and am still learning all the time. I think once I have become a expert it will be time to give up. There are always new ways to do things and new regulations etc that come up so on going training is a must to bring you up to date with new techniques and products.

A days training to me would be a insight to the rest of your career which you can choose to continue your training in or stop. Its up to you.

Good luck in all you do.

With any treatment you never finish learning. If you have done your A&P and stuff I found one day 1-to-1 certified training a good start, but would strongly recommend in going to see someone like Kim afterwards for a 2nd days training "to see how to do it properly". :)

Mat

I know nothing about waxing, but I have noticed there are several companies selling one day courses available in all sorts of therapies which are acredited. TBH, I find it quite shocking and I can't help feeling this can only be bad news for the industry. In my field (massage), you can do a days training and become qualified to masseur and then go off and treat the puplic...:eek:. I trained for a year to get my basic sports massage qualifcation. How can anyone compare the two? and yet, to the general public, they are equal.

Good luck

I did a one day waxing course and tbh i don't think it was long enough. Although saying that if you know the theory its the practice you need, so as long as you practice like crazy then it can be ok. I would love to do a day with kim at some point. xxx

I echo above one day is just not enough hun, my course was over two years, an twice a weekd we had theory for waxing and practical and i still learning now, good luck hunxxx

Thanks for your feed back ... but pretty much all of the private courses i've looked into tend to be 1 day waxing then 1 day assesment with the key being to practice practice practice....

Thanks again geeks...
:hug:

No training is long enough. You need to find the best course and then practise practise practise. It might be enough for you to decide if you want to do waxing. xxx

Kim ... just looked at your web site ... and have just requested details of your courses. I think a training session with you following my training might just give me more confidence in knowing what im doing is right!!! I have e-mailed you oday from your web site ... thanks.

Tracey AKA Soul girl!!

I wouldnt write a 1 day course off.

I have just completed a 1.5 day waxing course, the class of 6 with 2 tutors was very informative both practical & written, you then go back several weeks later for an assessment day, you have several assignemts to carry out in between both practical, written & oral (mine was fast tracked).

We practiced with a number of different waxes, rollers etc & there was no hard sell.

You get on going help & support from the training centre.

Only then would you recieve any certification, waxing is like any other beauty treatment it takes practice & confidence.

I wouldnt write of a day course, I would make sure that I did my homework to ensure that you are able to obtain insurance after completion & that the company is not just a fast buck making effort.

Of course follow on courses & extra training is always beneficial as it is with everything.

HTH's and maybe throws a different angle on things xx

Hi Soul Girl

There is one of these places by me & they do a 1 day waxing course.

I have been told the course consists of (10am to 3pm with lunch)
morning of anatomy & physiology
lunch
watching a client being waxed
then doing one client yourself

Then you get a certificate of ATTENDANCE!

I phoned round all of my local salons to find out if they recognised these qualifications & would hire me if I had it, ALL of them said NO.

I have since done My NVQ Level 2 & after doing waxing as part of this course I can easily say there is NO WAY you could learn how to wax in one day or that you should be working on people after only doing a ONE DAY COURSE.!

I hope this helps - Good luck in any training you go on to do.

Kind Regards
Carla

To be fair, I think that all trainers and colleges would agree that beginners training should be at least a week long. However, students would be unlikely to want to pay around £500 for this. So, I'm guessing that this is the reason that there are so many 1 day courses around and in my opinion, they do the best they can in a short space of time. xx

Hi I think potential therapists should be prepared to do a weeks training at a fair cost. It is better to have a proper grounding than just one taster one day.

I have been on a waxing day (that was part of a larger course) where you do not even get to wax a pair of eyebrows or a whole leg!!! How can anyone be confident to go out to the general public after that?

I know this is an old chestnut but there is no comparison to attending a full time course like I originally did and be examined at the end of the year but saying that a good short course with a fantastic tutor would be an excellent start. :)

I know this is an old chestnut but there is no comparison to attending a full time course like I originally did and be examined at the end of the year but saying that a good short course with a fantastic tutor would be an excellent start. :)
I agree to a certain extent, but I don't think that it's really the duration of the course that's important, it's how much waxing actually gets done. The majority of my students have studied for years at college and by their own admission, they feel that they weren't taught to wax properly. Then I 've had students who have done nothing more than a short course before coming to me and they were great.

I agree Kim, the contents of some of these courses are rubbish.

There are some good courses out there, I spent over a month sourcing info on courses.

They are all starting blocks, to which you can add.

For the one I did we had to wax legs, underarms, bikini & facial Then go away & practice like mad, then return for assessment etc, the same sort of thing as CND nail training.

There are far too many cowboy outfits out there x

Latest posts

Back