Waxing - to hold the skin or not?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PLAOH

jog jog jogging
Reaction score
When i did my waxing training i was taught to keep the skin taut (i'm a poet and i don't know it;) ) before removing the strip.

I've recently went to another salon for full leg wax and on another occasion a brazilian wax, both with different therapists, but on both occasions, they didn't hold my skin taut.

Which is the correct method? Also, should i place my hand on the area just waxed (ie if its their back, leg)....I wasn't taught to do this but have read it on here.

Any comments appreciated.

Yes. Hold the skin taught. Hold above whilst applying wax and below when pulling the wax of.
Placing your hand on the area which has just been waxed helps with the pain. It takes away the intitial (sp) sting. You only need to hold the area for a few seconds.
HTH

Yes. Hold the skin taught. Hold above whilst applying wax and below when pulling the wax of.
Placing your hand on the area which has just been waxed helps with the pain. It takes away the intitial (sp) sting. You only need to hold the area for a few seconds.
HTH

I'm not a skin geek but I've been waxed a million times. It really does alleviate the stinging when you place your hand on the area that has just been waxed. :)

I did waxing last year at college as part of my NVQ 2 and we were taught to perform the skin stretch when removing the strip. I think its to stop bruising and it makes it less painful for the client. We also do the "soothe" hand placement on the area which has just been waxed.

x

Definately hold the skin taut because if you don't you you will not remove the hair as effective and this will cause discomfort to the client. Generally I don't press on the skin afterwards as the stickyness can stick to your gloves and then to your wax strip etc. Put some oil on the legs afterwards to remove any wax and then a cooling lotion.

I dont put my hand on the area I have waxed unless the client is really feeling uncomfortable.Im pretty quick with waxing and tbh this would really slow me down.Like I said though if I get the odd client who really needs that extra reassurance then I will slow down and press every so often.This was taught at my college but it's not something that HAS to be done at all.Follow your instincts.

As for stretching the skin when waxing I always stretch the skin and in certain instances get the client to stretch for me(intimate waxing for instance)I couldn't imagine not stretching the skin in the intimate area or the upper part of the thighs,the bruising would be horrific.HTH

I'm defo a stretch and press kinda guy! Have been waxed a bit, have waxed bits of me myself, and have waxed many many chaps (and a few ladies too!)

Stretch and a firm rub definately improves the volume of hair removal. Also the post rip application of pressure is critical to comfort for chaps (we're not talking about a little eyebrow shaping!). Why are your gloves sticking? - 'cos you don't have any oil on them! Simples!

If he's super sensitive - get your post rip pressure funk on with a cold wet flannel and he'll come back for years to come!

When was the last time you were told you had magic hands? :) :) !

I'm defo a stretch and press kinda guy! Have been waxed a bit, have waxed bits of me myself, and have waxed many many chaps (and a few ladies too!)

Stretch and a firm rub definately improves the volume of hair removal. Also the post rip application of pressure is critical to comfort for chaps (we're not talking about a little eyebrow shaping!). Why are your gloves sticking? - 'cos you don't have any oil on them! Simples!

If he's super sensitive - get your post rip pressure funk on with a cold wet flannel and he'll come back for years to come!

When was the last time you were told you had magic hands? :) :) !

Hi,

Please can you explain when you use oil? Ive have read this from thread upon thread but we was never taught to use it. Is it with a particular wax or hot wax?? I use warm strip wax at the mo. Could maybe think of taking a more intense waxing course as I know there is more to be taught than what we were in NVQ L2! I have also done an additional intimate waxing course on skills week at college at they used strip wax for this also , where as on here everyone swears by non strip wax for the more painful/intimate areas. P.s I know for all waxing needs Kim Lawless is the woman who can!! Lol

Hi,

Please can you explain when you use oil? Ive have read this from thread upon thread but we was never taught to use it. Is it with a particular wax or hot wax?? I use warm strip wax at the mo. Could maybe think of taking a more intense waxing course as I know there is more to be taught than what we were in NVQ L2! I have also done an additional intimate waxing course on skills week at college at they used strip wax for this also , where as on here everyone swears by non strip wax for the more painful/intimate areas. P.s I know for all waxing needs Kim Lawless is the woman who can!! Lol

Sure; Oil in waxing is used as a lipid barrier to prevent the wax gripping the skin and facilitates easy removal along with maxium comfort and minimal risk of bruising. It's used both in strip and non-strip treatments.

Cleanse the bit you're going to wax - then apply a tiny amount of almond based oil (to paraphrase - you're not dressing a salad just a smudge!)

Depending on the treatment you can use extra oil as a 100% barrier - check the tutorials out on my site.

For advanced training Kim Lawless is a star - as is Andy Roulliard. Depends on what you want from your waxing future. Post rip pressure will be essential in your technique!

Does that answer your Q?

Sure; Oil in waxing is used as a lipid barrier to prevent the wax gripping the skin and facilitates easy removal along with maxium comfort and minimal risk of bruising. It's used both in strip and non-strip treatments.

Cleanse the bit you're going to wax - then apply a tiny amount of almond based oil (to paraphrase - you're not dressing a salad just a smudge!)

Depending on the treatment you can use extra oil as a 100% barrier - check the tutorials out on my site.

For advanced training Kim Lawless is a star - as is Andy Roulliard. Depends on what you want from your waxing future. Post rip pressure will be essential in your technique!

Does that answer your Q?

Yep, indeed!!! TY!! And yes, I always apply pressure after the strip has been removed! I thought the oil would create a barrier/film on the hair and prevent it being removed...hence why we pre-wax to remove any oils etc!!! Anyway hey ho, might purchase some and try it out! Thanks:biggrin:

Hiya

I always pull the area being waxed taught, it will prevent the strip getting stuck and pulling/bruising the skin. Defo get the client to help you with certain areas that may need to be stretched more than one way too! I have found with the underneath of bikini waxing the best stretch is if the client pulls their leg up towards their chest. The tighter the stretch the better!!!

Also with legs, backs (less intimate areas) its good to apply pressure on the area that has just been waxed as it will help to ease that initial pain!

Happy waxing!

Julia x

With the oil, you need a tiny amount. If you can see a shine wipe! just press the tissue on the area to remove the shine. Also if the wax is not gliding on the skin and is sliding over the skin, you have used to much oil.
I use Jasmine oil, but i'm sure there are other oils you could use which are just as effective. Though i'm not sure about baby iol.

Stretch when you apply and stretch when you remove. xx

I dont put my hand on the area I have waxed unless the client is really feeling uncomfortable.Im pretty quick with waxing and tbh this would really slow me down.Like I said though if I get the odd client who really needs that extra reassurance then I will slow down and press every so often.This was taught at my college but it's not something that HAS to be done at all.Follow your instincts.

As for stretching the skin when waxing I always stretch the skin and in certain instances get the client to stretch for me(intimate waxing for instance)I couldn't imagine not stretching the skin in the intimate area or the upper part of the thighs,the bruising would be horrific.HTH

This is the same as me, I don't put my hand down as It would slow me down, but in same cases like 'wax virgins' I would. I would be in two minds to do this in certain intimate areas as it could make the client uneasy. I always pull the skin as taught as I can. When it comes to intimate areas I get the bonus of the clients hands pulling taught. This way you can place your hand on top of theirs so they don't feel uneasy. With this area also try having the clients leg hanging off the bed sideways which will atuomatically tighten the skin.

I agree with everything Babs said earlier! ;)

Sorry, I thought we were talking about stretching the skin.....not applying pressure after removal. Just wanted to clarify. xx

We were talking about both my darling xx;)

I dont put my hand on the area I have waxed unless the client is really feeling uncomfortable.Im pretty quick with waxing and tbh this would really slow me down.

But OWWwww! Perhaps my perception for my chaps is different but the thought of a full chest, back and shoulder wax bloke on bloke with no post rip pressure is terrifing. We're not talking about a tiny eyebrow or ladies 6 underarm hairs here - it's a full 2 square metres of densly packed highly sensitive man-skin here (and you prioritise speed over customer comfort?!!) Yikes!

May I ask how many repeat chest and stomach customers you have month on month?

I tell my chaps if they see someone else and get no post rip pressure they should refuse any further treatment or charge and leap off the couch - heading for the door since there's really no need for such an uncaring therapist!

Please forgive my naievety. Repeat business and "Customer is king" apply though? Sure you'll agree?

Much x, Jason.

I have never lost one yet, pinched a few from other therapists though. I will ask them on their next appointments and see what they think. Maybe they're to scared of me to complain :eek:

I did have one gentleman once who sweated so much as he was so scared, I couldn't get the wax to stick at all so that was a bit of a juggling match having to wipe the area, apply the wax, stretch the skin, press the strip, remove the wax and wipe away his tears! I told him that he just wasn't cut out for waxing! :D

Latest posts

Back