Waxing - trimming hair

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Urban Geek

Mobile Nail technician
Reaction score
Can experienced waxers advise what they do when a clients hair is too long?

Do you trim it for the client or do you ask the client to trim their hair?

Do you just use scissors?

Thanks!:)

I use a beard trimmer if the hair is a little bit too long. HTH xx

Can experienced waxers advise what they do when a clients hair is too long?

Do you trim it for the client or do you ask the client to trim their hair?

Do you just use scissors?

Thanks!:)

I have some cordless Wahl trimmers, a small head one that I use in the intimate area, and a regular pair for larger areas. You can use scissors if you like, but I find I can do a quicker trim with the trimmer, and it feels safer all round too lol! I don't mind doing a trim for clients if I feel the hair is too long.. I know some therapists prefer them to trim themselves, but I worry that if I requested this they may trim too short.

We all have our own little ways don't we :)

:hug:

Last edited:
Depending on how large the area is, I will use scissors for small areas and areas such as back and chest, i'll use some small clippers, otherwise you can tend be there all day lol xxx

Thanks for the feedback!

I wouldn't mind trimming the clients hair myself. I wondered because we have been taught to ask the client to do it so was curious as to what the norm is.

Oh I'll need to look into buying a trimmer x

Thanks for the feedback!

I wouldn't mind trimming the clients hair myself. I wondered because we have been taught to ask the client to do it so was curious as to what the norm is.

Oh I'll need to look into buying a trimmer x

Oh sorry I didnt answer your other question :smack: silly me.
I trim the hair myself. I just don't think it would be very professional to get them to do it themselves. I'd want to make sure it was done properly too.
Have a look at the capital website, they did have some tiny chargeable ones :hug:xxx

On a standard bikini wax i tend to use scissors as its just the knicker line, if its a high bikini, i use trimmers. I got them from ellisons i think. hth x

I use a small trimmer....I would be too scared to go near a client with scissors.....could you imagine if they moved suddenly & you are trimming hair in an intimate area...

I use a Wahl trimmer. However, I can give you two tips for using scissors Christine :)

1. If you get hold of a small clump of hair and twist it round, then snip it off, the hair will be between your thumb and forefinger so you can easily pop it in the bin. Hair clippings make a mess! And it can be hard to see what's attached and what is not, when there are clippings all over the show.

2. Alternatively, trim with scissors over a comb. This will catch some (not all) of the hair, so a little more messy but maybe safer as you don't actually have the point of the scissors on the clients skin.

If a client turns up and the hair needs trimming, I don't see you have much option but to trim it for them, and I personally don't like client's trimming themselves before a wax because they can trim too short!

Hope that helps :hug: x

Hi

I use Wahl trimmers, and trim the hair to a grade 3 - seems to be the perfect hair length for waxing for me

Terry

I was trained at college to use scissors but at Ellisons and also Axiom I was trained to use clippers. I always trim clients where necessary explaining why I am trimming them - they appreciate the explanation particularly if they haven't been waxed before.

Sorry if this is a really dim question. I am an ITEC student and I don't qualify in waxing until June this year so please don't shout at me if the answer is obvious - which I am sure it is and I should know; but how and what do you use to clean then sterilize the clippers/trimmers. ITEC only teach to use scissors in Barbicide (new for each client obviously) but I can see the obvious advantage of using trimmers once qualified. Thanks xx

Last edited:
Sorry if this is a really dim question. I am an ITEC student and I don't qualify in waxing until June this year so please don't shout at me if the answer is obvious - which I am sure it is and I should know; but how and what do you use to clean then sterilize the clippers/trimmers. ITEC only teach to use scissors in Barbicide (new for each client obviously) but I can see the obvious advantage of using trimmers once qualified. Thanks xx

I have some Barbicide Clipper Spray that I use during the day between clients. At the end of the day I take the blades off the clippers and wash through then drop into Barbicide for half an hour, then I dry them off and re-assemble the clippers ready for use the next day.

Thank you Jen, I knew the answer would be simple. x

As above & dont forget to oil the blades x

I prefer to trim and although I have clippers, I always use scissors. I just get on and do whilst chatting to them. I don't draw attention to it as they could feel a bit embarrassed, as though they've done something wrong by not trimming it themselves. xxx

Latest posts

Back