What Do You Make?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WHat do you make a month as a nail tech before tax?

• £0 - £100

Votes: 132 34.0%
  • £200-£500

Votes: 118 30.4%
  • £600-£900

Votes: 52 13.4%
  • £1000 +

Votes: 86 22.2%

• Total voters
Sooooo glad that I finally got a few minutes to read all the way through this post.....and that I'm not the only one who spends more than I earn!

It'll be better in a year, I WILL be earning. Everyone shakes their head when I tell them this. Perhaps they know me too well since they laugh too.

Pix

bling nails said:
i have 3 nail stations on the go in my salon from tue to sat, closed sunday and mondays. we also do beauty treatments which includes waxing, tinting and pedicures. i have one sunbed also, which is not very busy at the moment, but will be in spring/summer.
the 3 nail stations are always busy, mostly infills with me and one of my staff. just taken on 3rd member to carry load of manicures and pedicures, also new sets of enhancements (unless new clients ask for me-i charge more and have to work over to fit them in).
we all work with the same products and work at the same pace, apart from me, im a little quicker.
on an average week, the salon takes £1700-£2000 on treatments alone.
i dont really make on retail...only creative's solar oil/butter/silk products and sentsations. gold nails are popular but are only ordered on deposits made.
sunbed acelorator creams in sachets are agood retail too...again only in spring/summer for pre-hols tans.
we all work really hard and staff do work 38hr/4.5day week. i work 55+ hrs in 5 day week. my staff are paid very well for their hard work and dedication and keep the salons reputation going from strength to strength.
we have never been so busy....2 years ago, i would never of thought, i'd be where i am now....its flew by and im proud of what ive achieved....its not impossible....just be determined to work hard and your rewards will bloom. JUST DON'T GIVE UP!!

KICK ASS Cheryl - well done girl!!! :hug:

Hi there,

Just out of interest, for those that ticked the £1000+ button, how many hours do you do a week on average would you say? I'm part time and just starting out and to be honest I do not earn that much but expect this to change very soon. Hopefully!!

I work full time the amount of hours vary, but alway 40+.....but broken down in a daily rate it is usualy a tidy sum per day.......

Last edited:
I would just like to say a huge WELL DONE to those of you are making loads of £££££££££!

I am in the minus BIG STYLE i havent even made back my money spent on training 7 months ago! i worked p/t so i could nails p/t also but i just found it impossible to get enough clients! i start f/t again in may, i am going to start spray tanning and offering other nail systems too, so hopefully i can try and make another go of it in a about a years time.

I ticked a £1000+ doing ok and your right it is totallyto do with technicque, standards,products and service.

great thread!
it helps to get an insight to what other tech's earn.....it can help you to set targets for yourself

I ticked £0-£100 :cry: , i only started working full time for my self 3wks ago and i only charge £15 for a full set, i will put my charges up in autumn when i have a bit more experience and clients who know they can trust me to do a good job of there nails, so for now im not making a wage but hopefully it will pay off in the long term, fingers crossed :hug: .

Read through the whole thread and I'm feeling a lil confident at the same time defeated as I have spent a lot on my training and supplies and find it hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel that will even suggest that going part time will even make me at least £100 a week.:cry:

I was feeling really stupid :eek: when paying for things as I didn't know when or how the clients were going to come for me to be able to make my money back, but knew if I wanted progression I will have to take the plunge.
So far I have managed to take home £75 in 3 weeks which is less than 10% of what I have spent on training alone.

Ok, I am only just starting out and Yes, it would have been stupid of me to think the money will start rolling in and Yes, I have read threads on here about being patient and the client base will come but a part of me just can't stop thinking that if my work is good why don't I have clients:mad: .

I am passionate about nails and what I do but to be honest I have invested in a business and from a business perspective I intend to make some £ need to treat it like that.
As for me, at the moment I am already in liquidation even before I have started.

Anyway, I guess wisdom from here does suggests that in time along with some more hard graft and more money to be spent, good things cometh.

Well done to those who have made it gives those of us on the way up something to look forward to and aspire to and for my fellow strugglers, take comfort in knowing you aren't alone.

I ticked the second box, as i only do nails part time and don't need the money as a second income, i see it as a bonus.

I enjoy what i do, but don't wish to be rushed off my feet, plus i am fitting it in around my 6 year old and my hubby who works shifts.

I am happy with what i earn, but it does vary when i get stock and do more training, so it can be hard to gauge.

I havent voted yet, as I have actually started up my business yet. For the first sort of year I can imagine it will be - anything as I have spent out big time on courses, products, setting up salon etc etc. But I am very positive about it, and Im sure I will do well! :)

I've not ticked anything as there isn't a tick box for a -£ .... :(

LMAO as that's how I'm feeling these days! It will get better...it will get better...it will get better. :)

It would be really interesting to see if in just over the two years from when this thread started, we have improved our income wouldn't it ? Why dont we all re-read our original replies and re-post a new one with our imcome as it is now and compare them ! it would be really nice to see everyone move up a bracket or two :hug:

Mine is still the same - im happy :lol:

I ticked £200-500 as I allow myself £100 pay a week.

The rest is in the account to pay for rent, products and training, plus for rent when I'm on holiday.

I have only been in 2nd salon for 6 months so don't want to get carried away and its good to keep to a minumum budget. will review it in 6 months time, but for now, suits me.

I could cringe when an old thread of mine re-appears. It's a bit like when your mum gets photo's out of when you were a little girl. :cry:

ah but it's a good thread though :) and i think it would be lovely to see how we've all blossomed :lol:

(sorry to bump it up and embarras you again ) lol x

I ticked £200-£500. I am part time and just starting to build my clients back up after having a baby. I am also working for the local authority during the day but hope to leave once I have established the business again. I am looking at various courses to bring me up to date with todays beauty industry!!!

i have 3 nail stations on the go in my salon from tue to sat, closed sunday and mondays. we also do beauty treatments which includes waxing, tinting and pedicures. i have one sunbed also, which is not very busy at the moment, but will be in spring/summer.
the 3 nail stations are always busy, mostly infills with me and one of my staff. just taken on 3rd member to carry load of manicures and pedicures, also new sets of enhancements (unless new clients ask for me-i charge more and have to work over to fit them in).
we all work with the same products and work at the same pace, apart from me, im a little quicker.
on an average week, the salon takes £1700-£2000 on treatments alone.
i dont really make on retail...only creative's solar oil/butter/silk products and sentsations. gold nails are popular but are only ordered on deposits made.
sunbed acelorator creams in sachets are agood retail too...again only in spring/summer for pre-hols tans.
we all work really hard and staff do work 38hr/4.5day week. i work 55+ hrs in 5 day week. my staff are paid very well for their hard work and dedication and keep the salons reputation going from strength to strength.
we have never been so busy....2 years ago, i would never of thought, i'd be where i am now....its flew by and im proud of what ive achieved....its not impossible....just be determined to work hard and your rewards will bloom. JUST DON'T GIVE UP!!

Cheryl, my gosh!!!! I knew you were dead good and that you would be raking it in, but didn't know it would be that much!!

That is BRILLIANT!!
I want to be making that much!!!!!! :green:
Defo somehting to be proud of!!!!

Ooooh, Thank you very much for the comp info also by the way!! I really really appreciate that hun !!
xxxx

Not a sausage because i put it all away for conversion course and for my own business that might be a long way off. And its only part time at the moment. But with the replies on here it gives you the inspiration to keep going cause you know there is a light at the end of the tunnel.!!!!!

Latest posts

Back