What do you use to cover your desk??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paper products - what do you use?

• Couch Roll - either size

Votes: 34 58.6%
  • Kitchen Towel - which brand?

Votes: 10 17.2%
  • Paper Hand Towel - like the ones you find in washrooms

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Precut Desk Mats - like Star Nails

Votes: 3 5.2%
  • Something different - now i'm curious!!

Votes: 11 19.0%

• Total voters

magsham

Reaction score
Hi Lads and Lassies

I currently use 10" couch roll on my desk when i'm working but got to thinking that it's getting a little pricey - especially when the kids keep knicking it to blow their noses! :irked: So i thought about alternatives - ie kitchen roll, paper hand towels, pre cut paper desk pads, etc.

So my question to you is - what do you use and why?

:hug:xxxx

I do mostly gel nails, which do generate a fair amount of dust. I use the 20" couch roll (2 sections) which covers my whole working area. When rebalancing I place a single piece on top of that and then throw it away complete with all the dust and any wipes that I have used.

I used to use towels with a smaller piece of 10" couch roll but felt that the cost of laundering my salon towels (at 60degrees),drying them, the wear and tear (meaning replacements) worked out more expensive.

If you bulk buy the couch rolls and look out for offers it doesn't work out too costly:)

I lay a white towel width ways across my table and then roll up a pink towel as an arm rest. I then lay 3 lengths of 10" paper over the arm rest, one on top of the other, and just remove a layer at each stage of the treatment.

I change both the paper and the white towel between clients and then everything looks lovely and clean.

I lay a white towel width ways across my table and then roll up a pink towel as an arm rest. I then lay 3 lengths of 10" paper over the arm rest, one on top of the other, and just remove a layer at each stage of the treatment.

I change both the paper and the white towel between clients and then everything looks lovely and clean.

Very similar to how I do it

Same here but I use bounty kitchen roll :hug:

It obviously depends on how many clients you are servicing but kitchen roll is the most expensive method. I too cover a hand towel and arm rest with 10" couch roll and coverthe dust after applying tips and blending to keep dust to a minimum. I buy huge quantities at a time and even if you dont have a salon should buy your couch roll in bulk.

I use 'hand towels' like what you use in the bathroom, or like the small 'hair towels' at the hair salon.

I buy them in white, from the 'dollar store'. $1.00 each.
I have about 25 or so.
I lay two down.
Do my prep, the refill or balance, cure, finish file
THEN remove the uppermost towel which has collected the dust, and toss aside into a basket.
Then finish the nails, see client out.
Toss other towel into laundry too.
Clean desk, and lay out 2 more towels for the next one.

I bought my towels 4 years ago, they are still white except for the occasional polish droplet (which are few and far between).
To have spent 25$ plus tax over the course of 4yrs (think in terms of 5$ per year so far), plus the minimal amount it costs to launder them myself... I feel it's money wisely spent and costs me less than it would for papertowels or similar disposable items.

They're still going strong and only about 4 of them need replacing.
I don't foresee changing to any other method for the time being.

I have a piece of foam that is higher in the centre so myself and the client has a soft surface to rest elbows and forearms instead of flat on the table. I cover the piece of foam with a cotton towel (the foam isn't all that pretty) then I put a gibson towel over that. when I finish filing and nipping I dispose of the gibson towel and finish the service with the cotton towel only. I wash my white cotton towels every night with bleach so everything is clean and sanitary every day. The gibson towels are cheap and more professional looking than paper towel but that's just my humble opinion:)

I have a small white towel width ways across my desk with another rolled up as an arm rest. I now have a padded dust extractor hand rest in white in the middle of the desk, which works well. But before that I used kitchen roll layered a couple of times neatly round a small towel folded in a square so that it was completely covered, tesco own brand btw, lol!! Be surprised how much you'd go through. Still use some kitchen roll for placing dappen dish & brushes down on/ wiping my brushes on etc..... always looked professional as appearance is key!! But so handy as can just either bin the kichen roll or wash the towels through!! HTH :)

Hi!
I have a dust collector and also use IKEA´s white paper napkins, they are big and strong!

Any suggestions for table protection if you are mobile. I dread the day I ruin someones table!!:eek:

Hi!
I have a dust collector and also use IKEA´s white paper napkins, they are big and strong!

I use these napkins too. They are softer and higher quality than couch roll and you never need to struggle with faulty perforations that leave the ends all straggly. The shape makes them easier to transport and store too , variety of colours mean you can match them to your salon.

I keep it all disposable , I have enough laundry to do already!

Any suggestions for table protection if you are mobile. I dread the day I ruin someones table!!:eek:

I used to use a kiddies waterproof bed wetting sheet..:lol:..done the job!

I lay a towel over the table. I then roll my hand rest into another towel, allowing a little free to wipe my hands on near my lap. I then get a square of couch roll, fold the top and bottom into the middle and lay it across the hand rest diagonally. It's a bit hard to explain sorry i'm pants at explaining things :) xxx

Latest posts

Back