What were you scared of when you were a child?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was scared of being shot and also scared of being put in jail. I know both seem funny but I was genuinely terrified of them both.

I've always been a scaredy cat, even now.
If I stay up watching tv and an advert for a horror film comes on, I have to phone my husband on his mobile too get out of bed and walk me up the stairs. He shouted Blair witch at me once when we walked past a wood and I cried lol

Cat x

I've always been a scaredy cat, even now.
If I stay up watching tv and an advert for a horror film comes on, I have to phone my husband on his mobile too get out of bed and walk me up the stairs. He shouted Blair witch at me once when we walked past a wood and I cried lol

Cat x

You sound like me!

A few months ago we had finished watching a horror film and as I walking up the stairs BF turned the lights off in the corridor, so that the house was in darkness...I pretty certain the neighbours 5 doors down could here me shrieking!!! Xx

I wouldn't have known what ingrown toe nails were as a child!

No, neither did I!
I think I heard it mentioned on TV and, being a child, my imagination did the rest.

Last edited:
I was scared of Ursula from the little mermaid!!

Now I'm scared of daddy long legs (eeuuuurrrghhhhh they make my blood run cold) and dark rooms, freaks me out thinking there might be someone in there! Watched Mama which didn't scare me but I have a built in wardrobe like the one in the film and it just gives me the creeps... I'm really quite pathetic :o

Xxx

I remember being scared to death in the night of an awful scary noise in the garden and shouting for my dad.It stopped and he said I was probably dreaming it happened again a while later and we discovered it was Hedgehogs mating.Foxes also make a horrible scary noise.

Lol, I also run too the bed when I've turned the lights off incase there's something on the floor and never ever let my legs or feet hang over the bed because as a child I was scared there was something under the bed and kept a coathanger on my bed post too hit whatever was hiding if it came out lol that's still stuck with me but I don't have a coathanger anymore :D

Cat x

Being without my blankie. We were visiting family in Florida when I was about 4. On our way home to Ohio, my Grandma realized we had forgot my blankie, we turned around to get it. We had been on the road for 4 hours, my Grandpa was not happy!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using SalonGeek mobile app

Goosebumps books and the programme on nickelodeon! Are you afraid of the dark comment reminded me! I couldn't stop reading them even though i had nightmares! We had a tree in the back corner of our garden & i had a terrible nightmare there was a man dressed in black with a white face standing under it looking into my bedroom, i avoided that corner for years lol!!

Also my sisters friend decided to tell me & my friend a bunch of ghost stories about things under beds etc, pretty crap but we were scared for months! I used to wrap my duvet around me like a sleeping bag & pray i fell asleep asap!!

Hi all! I was just having a conversation with my 11 year old daughter about when I was a kid, and I mentioned 2 particular programmes that used to scare the living day lights out of me:cry: Well it wasn't so much the programmes themselves, but the intros... The first was the theme song to 'tales of the unexpected'. As soon as the music started I would freeze and hold my hands over my ears. Till this day, I still hate that song- it's so creepy. The other was 'armchair thriller' (which some of you may not remember). I would have only been around 3 , but I can clearly remember as soon as I saw that shadow, I would scream the whole house down. I think I even peed myself once, when my mum forgot it was coming on and didnt turn the tv over quick enough :cry:

I also hated clowns and dolls (especially the porcelain ones)

What were you all scared of as a child?

Omg I was soooo scared of tales of the unexpected music. It used to be on on Sunday nights (I don't know why I was up that late) and I used to sit down the other end of the front room with my back to the telly and cotton wool in my ears whilst I did my colouring book! I still don't like it now and my kids got it up on you tube and couldn't see what the fuss was about!. I was also petrified of Planet of the Apes, particularly the baddy in black. We couldn't even have that on in my house coz I would have nightmares for months (the doctor prescribed me phenergan!!). Also hated hammer house of horror music which I could hear upstairs in bed on a Friday night. Oh and Sapphire and Steele used to terrify me too. God I was a right scaredy cat! Thing is I'm still funny about theme music now and my son when he was young used to be terrified of the catchphrase duh duh noise and family fortunes too!!

I was scared of my father.
He was a bitter, miserable, nasty example of a man.
My sister and I were adopted as babies (not related), and it was a daily chant that we should be grateful because if it hadn't been for him we'd be in a children's home.
He told me again and again that I was stupid and ugly.
Here I am at almost 50 and his words haunt me every single day of my life, and they still have the power to reduce me to tears and shaking.

The fears induced by real events and people are, for me, far more terrifying than any Hollywood director could dream up.

The way we speak to our children becomes their inner voice...

I was scared of my father.
He was a bitter, miserable, nasty example of a man.
My sister and I were adopted as babies (not related), and it was a daily chant that we should be grateful because if it hadn't been for him we'd be in a children's home.
He told me again and again that I was stupid and ugly.
Here I am at almost 50 and his words haunt me every single day of my life, and they still have the power to reduce me to tears and shaking.

The fears induced by real events and people are, for me, far more terrifying than any Hollywood director could dream up.

The way we speak to our children becomes their inner voice...

Oh Lynne, this has brought tears to my eyes! I can't imagine what you both went through, (and obviously still do). But one thing for sure, we all love you on here!! Your an inspiration to me, so much love and respect to you! Xxxxxxx

The dark ! And ghosts lol ... Still am ! :#)

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using SalonGeek mobile app

I seem to have something in my eye...
Thank you, to everyone on here who finds what I waffle on about interesting and/or useful.
When I'm sobbing in my kitchen my lovely humsbums gets cross with me for my lack of self belief and points out all the hearts and rep points I have from here.
"How can you possibly believe that you're stupid? There are people on SG who thank you every day for your help!"

And that, my friends, is the power of the long dead dad.

I seem to have something in my eye...
Thank you, to everyone on here who finds what I waffle on about interesting and/or useful.
When I'm sobbing in my kitchen my lovely humsbums gets cross with me for my lack of self belief and points out all the hearts and rep points I have from here.
"How can you possibly believe that you're stupid? There are people on SG who thank you every day for your help!"

And that, my friends, is the power of the long dead dad.

Listen to your humsbums Lynne . I and many others here think you are a strong, intelligent woman. Give yourself a pat on the back ..YOU ROCK GIRLIE..x

Goosebumps books and the programme on nickelodeon! Are you afraid of the dark comment reminded me! I couldn't stop reading them even though i had nightmares! We had a tree in the back corner of our garden & i had a terrible nightmare there was a man dressed in black with a white face standing under it looking into my bedroom, i avoided that corner for years lol!!

The are you afraid of the dark comment reminded me of the goosebumps books too I used to love those books!

Sent from my GT-I8730 using SalonGeek mobile app

Listening to headphones too loud, I always hear someone shout my name or freaky noises like screams etc its all in my head and still happens now!

The Pink Panther! I would hear the music when I was in bed and imagine the pink panther creeping up the stairs in time to the music. I would get out of bed and balance on the skirting board along the hall until I reached my brother's bedroom where I would jump into his bed. It still gives me the creeps now.

Sent from my iPad using SalonGeek app

Latest posts

Back