What were you scared of when you were a child?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I won't go swimming in the sea........................someone is always playing the JAWS music.......or is that in my head!!?

Lmao Rinn jaws used to scare me to death even though a have a morbid fascination with sharks! After watching the film I wouldn't go the loo for at least an hour as I thought he'd be waiting for me. I actually swam in the sea on Saturday first time in 13 years which im pretty proud of considering ive lived 5 mins walk from the beach for the last 6 years!!!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

The manhole! I was terrified that the boogieman would come down through it and get me while i was asleep. My dad built this really cool loft in my bedroom when i was a kid and i would never go up there unless i had a friend over cause he built it right under the manhole and i thought i would get grabbed and pulled up into the ceiling.

Actually to this day i won't choose the bedroom that has the manhole in it, though these days I'm more scared of burglars than boogiemen

Lifts and air ports made me really anxious :-D

Sent from my LT30p using SalonGeek mobile app

The manhole! I was terrified that the boogieman would come down through it and get me while i was asleep. My dad built this really cool loft in my bedroom when i was a kid and i would never go up there unless i had a friend over cause he built it right under the manhole and i thought i would get grabbed and pulled up into the ceiling.

Actually to this day i won't choose the bedroom that has the manhole in it, though these days I'm more scared of burglars than boogiemen

Arghh I forgot about this one, I was also PETRIFIED of the loft hatch!! I'm in a home salon and that's the room with the loft hatch, it still makes me uneasy... I remember in our old house there was a narrow corridor with the toilet at the end, but to get to it you had to go under the loft hatch. Countless times as a child I'd almost wet myself refusing to go under it :o

Xxx

I was scared of my father.
He was a bitter, miserable, nasty example of a man.
My sister and I were adopted as babies (not related), and it was a daily chant that we should be grateful because if it hadn't been for him we'd be in a children's home.
He told me again and again that I was stupid and ugly.
Here I am at almost 50 and his words haunt me every single day of my life, and they still have the power to reduce me to tears and shaking.

The fears induced by real events and people are, for me, far more terrifying than any Hollywood director could dream up.

The way we speak to our children becomes their inner voice...

Lynne, this made me cry! It's amazing the power parents can have on you, how very sad! X

I seem to have something in my eye...
Thank you, to everyone on here who finds what I waffle on about interesting and/or useful.
When I'm sobbing in my kitchen my lovely humsbums gets cross with me for my lack of self belief and points out all the hearts and rep points I have from here.
"How can you possibly believe that you're stupid? There are people on SG who thank you every day for your help!"

And that, my friends, is the power of the long dead dad.

And catching up on this thread, I next read this. Really Lynne, remember when we met? I was totally in awe of you. You are one of my inspirations, told you that then and am saying it again.
When you're having a bad moment again, remember what I have just said, you are one of the reasons I finally set my salon up! Would be lost without your help..... So, in return if you ever feel down, I'm here, I'm a good listener. Xx

I was terrified of the dark, glad to know others still are aswell, im ok if my husbands at home but if hes out the light stays on haha.
And the little green gremlin out of twilight zone on the plane wing, i had an extention outside my room and I refused to open my curtains incase it was on the roof. And ghost stories, my friend at school used to tell storys saying they was real and still some of them play on my mind when im on my own xx

OMG! I remember the Twilight Zone gremlin!!! There was a Simpsons episode that brought up all those memories too!

In regards to ghost stories, two words "Bloody Mary" eeeeeekkkkk!!!! (I wish I'd never typed that!!!)

Xx

Dr Who (many years ago), The dark and thunder, although i'm not afraid of any of those things now. Oh and the child catcher in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang!!!

I was scared of my father.
He was a bitter, miserable, nasty example of a man.
My sister and I were adopted as babies (not related), and it was a daily chant that we should be grateful because if it hadn't been for him we'd be in a children's home.
He told me again and again that I was stupid and ugly.
Here I am at almost 50 and his words haunt me every single day of my life, and they still have the power to reduce me to tears and shaking.

The fears induced by real events and people are, for me, far more terrifying than any Hollywood director could dream up.

The way we speak to our children becomes their inner voice...

Lynne try to remember that every single day you are giving all of your power away to this man by giving any thought to his nasty words. When he creeps into your thoughts each day immediately think of all the wonderful things your lovely husband does for you and how he tries to build your confidence, the same confidence that was robbed from you as a child. By reducing yourself to tears on a daily basis means your angry, sad father is still very much in control of you and this in turn robs your husband from the additional love you could be giving him. I feel for you so much xx

My fear as a child was a little bit different, I was petrified to the point of shaking whenever I saw a brown medicine bottle! It comes from having to have the most vilest of medicine everyday since I was 4 until the age of 12 for a kidney problems I have, I was so elated when I was allowed tablet form at the age of 12!! I have since discovered I have overcome the fear now that I'm a mum, I can now give my daughter calpol if she needs it without becoming a quivering heap! :)

I was always really scared of barney the dinosaur :( i used to hide behind the sofa when it came on! haha

Charlie & the chocolate factory film! & horror films still can't watch any

Just a thought....
A lot of these childhood fears stemmed from films/TV.
Not preaching, but careful what you let the little ones watch.

I was petrafied of cats now i love then hehe

The film candyman, I used to be terrified of the mirror in the bathroom after seeing it.

Sent from my GT-I8730 using SalonGeek mobile app

Just a thought....
A lot of these childhood fears stemmed from films/TV.
Not preaching, but careful what you let the little ones watch.

Totally agree. And I was always extra careful with my kids knowing how highly strung I was! I don't think I let my daughter watch Harry potter til she was 13 lol

Clowns, spiders, the witches, the exorcist, anything to do with the devil and also sleeping at other people's houses without my mum! I was terrified to spend the night somewhere where my mum wasn't and this was in my teens! I always went to sleepovers for my mum to then pick me up at 12am cos id ring her crying! Luckily I've gotten over the fear of sleeping round people's houses, I think being at uni finally cured me lol, but everything else I mentioned still scares me, although I don't cry now :)

As a kid I used to be petrified of the x-files, the theme tune alone was enough! I used to run upstaires so quick and put a pillow over my head! I still hate it now!

Oh and that talking clay head that used to be on art attack, id hide behind the sofa when he came on :)

Clowns, spiders, the witches, the exorcist, anything to do with the devil and also sleeping at other people's houses without my mum! I was terrified to spend the night somewhere where my mum wasn't and this was in my teens! I always went to sleepovers for my mum to then pick me up at 12am cos id ring her crying! Luckily I've gotten over the fear of sleeping round people's houses, I think being at uni finally cured me lol, but everything else I mentioned still scares me, although I don't cry now :)

I used to do this when I was younger stopping at my cousins I used to be in tears by 9pm wanting to go back home to my mom and dad! 😳X

Same as many of you,

The dark, sharks, the attic...

My cousins give me a fear of clowns & dolls by showing me the video covers in the rental section of the spar shop & telling me lines from the movies :(

The witch in robin hood or at least she looked like a witch, apparently when she died ( we watched it in the cinema) I shouted "Thank god" & the rest of the cinema laughed. I must have been around 6 or 7!

The only scary film ive watched was Scream aged 12 at a friends house... Never again. I gave our other friend bruises! Didnt help her step dad was calling the house phone like in the film & once it had finished... He got ladders up the front of the house to her bedroom window dressed in black & stuck a kitchen knife threw the window!!!!!! Horrible man!

So when ever I was at sleep overs Id kick off so much & threaten to go home unless they turned the film off. & thankfully they did.

I have a far too over active imagination, we had an earth quake around 5 years ago I had glass tables in my bedroom i woke up to them shaking & banging, I honestly thought i was being possessed & made my mum come & pick me up at daft o'clock even though id lived on my own for 4 years at the time lol!

Looking back I use to have OCD id set myself little tasks that I HAD to do otherwise bad things would happen to my family... Run up the steep hill in one go without stopping or slipping, couldnt eat food my fingers had touched, counting to certain numbers before i entered a room-I was my own worse enemy!

Thankfully grown out of most of them now, although i freak if im in the sea alone & there is a fish!

Xx

Latest posts

Back