What would you have done ?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adelekeegan1

Chatty geek
Reaction score
On Friday I had a new manicure client, short nails but nice shape etc.

Whilst I was doing her nails she commented on mine, saying she was envious of the length and how she like a french manicure.....I'm currently wearing a Brisa coverage gel with a custom blend free edge - she didn't realise they weren't my own.

She had never had an enhancement of any sort and was a bit dubious, so I offered to do 1 nail free to see how she got on with it. I have done this many times and get a 50% take up, most of them coming back a couple of weeks later.

She rang yesterday to say she loved it so much she wanted a full set so I removed the polish, buffed the gel nail and re topcoated, applied gel to the other 9 nails - job done.

She decided to buy solar oil, I told her the price and she faltered, saying that can't be right - I've only had 9 done.

I said that was the full set price, I hadn't charged for the 'test nail' but she wasn't having it. We went backwards and forwards (the polite smile never slipped off my face) but I would not back down. She eventually paid but would not re-book and I have no doubt I will never see her again.

I was so sure at the time but now am doubting my decision. My husband and Sister both said I was right but I have lost a potential client over a few pounds, which I hate.

I don't do this sort of thing lightly but I think she would always have been trouble and no loss to my business....................What do you all think ???

I think you did absolutely the right thing. Your first instincts are always right and if you gave in this time she would always question you over something and angle for discounts, freebies, etc. You gave her a freebie trial nail, and now she quibbles over a few pounds, what would you say if I told you the same story happened to me?

She is now well aware of your prices, business practices and skills, she'll be back if she values her nails and wants good nails. If she's just after cheap nails and freebies she's welcome to go elsewhere whilst you continue with your loyal and more than happy clients.

Don't doubt yourself :hug:

I think you done exactly the right thing hun.

She was aware of the free nail trial, what were you to do, buff it off and re-do? She was obviously angling for money off but good on you for sticking to your guns and remaining professional. I think she will be back as I am sure she will love them and I bet she can't get them done the same elsewhere. :hug:

Don't doubt yourself Adele, I would have done the same in your position, but I honestly don't think you will have lost a client. Pound to a penny she will be back...she'll love her nails and she will also get comments from her friends etc. As for thinking you've lost a client, I reckon you'll make a few when she tells people who did them for her :hug:

You did do the right thing !!! i really cant get over the cheek of some people !!!

I do that all the time, I think you did exactly the right thing....Cheeky Mare !

Yep absolutely the right thing!!:hug:

You done the right thing hun dont doubt it :hug: some people just want something for nothing:green:

You did the right thing and don't doubt yourself. Don't forget Geeg's lovely recommendation when I needed someone to do my brothers girlfriends nails. You are a lovely person and a great nail tech. xxx

What a lovely bunch you are - thank you all :hug::hug::hug:

I think you did the right thing, too. Some people are just so damn cheeky, always wanting something for nothing.

Anyway, what's she going to do at rebalance time? Find someone else who uses the same product and custom blends in the immediate vicinity, without the aid of a crystal ball? If she comes back, then she's now aware of the ground rules and if she doesn't, well, she's one less opportunist for you to contend with. Stick to your guns! xx

I think she will be back as I am sure she will love them and I bet she can't get them done the same elsewhere. :hug:
Here here !!!! or hear hear ??? whichever way it go's lol
I agree she will probably leave it a while....then come back...
You did do the right thing....that nail was still part of the full set...IF she would have chosen to not take up the full set then it would be free..no obligation.

I wonder if I order one of them "try before you buy" movable beds...they will knock some money off if I decide to keep it....well y'know it will be a used bed by then :rolleyes:

You are thinking about this all wrong hun....its her who has lost out over a few pounds....not you. :hug:

Remember that Mr Bean episode when he's packing for hollidays and his teddy bear wont fit into the suitcase so he takes the scissors out and wants to cut teddy's head? :green:

How far will some people go? And when we think we heard it all, one day we just find ourselves standing puzzled with our eyebrows up to the top of our head. But luckily, Mr Bean had a moment of wisdom and did not cut his teddy in half so don't you worry either, maybe this lady will have her moment too, so consider it just as another tragicomic episode you'll soon forget... :hug:

Sorry if I sound morbid, I just think it's easier to laugh everything away :hug:

Adele - you did absolutely the right thing.
At the end of the day, you even buffed and re-glossed the original nail.
What are some people like eh?
Don't give her another thought - if she's not used to having things done on her , then she's already on a learning curve - learning she'll not get away with that kind of nonsense in a professional establishment.

She used up a 'full set' appointment and you did do something to ALL 10 of her nails.

She'll be back, having realised she's found a great tech who does a great job:hug:

Like others have said, either she'll be back when she realises how silly she has been and that your nails are fabulous, or she won't and you've probably made a good escape from having a client who would drive you demented by wanting freebies and discounts.
Don't beat yourself up, you've done the right thing.
Marion xx

Here here !!!! or hear hear ??? whichever way it go's lol
I agree she will probably leave it a while....then come back...
You did do the right thing....that nail was still part of the full set...IF she would have chosen to not take up the full set then it would be free..no obligation.

I wonder if I order one of them "try before you buy" movable beds...they will knock some money off if I decide to keep it....well y'know it will be a used bed by then :rolleyes:

Too right!!

I agree with the others, you did the right thing....... :hug:

Of course you did the right thing and I'm PROUD of your professionalism. :hug:

If she does not return, then I'm sure it will be because on reflection she is too embarrassed at her own behaviour rather than what she saw as the extra cost of one nail.

Women never cease to astound me with their illogical and silly behaviour over what is essentially nothing!!

You are thinking about this all wrong hun....its her who has lost out over a few pounds....not you. :hug:

Exactly.

Adele you did the right thing and good on you.... it's not easy.
She will soon be longing to have them done again, especially when she realises that such a service is hard to find.
As has been said already, if anything stops her from coming back to you, it will be pride. Maybe leave it a while and send her a little ice breaker... defuse any 'pride' issues and I'm sure then she will become a willing long standing client.

Latest posts

Back