What's your secret?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well after reading Victoria's posts I'm not afraid to post now. Lets see.....I've done a lot of different things.

Workwise other than salon stuff: I've been an Executive Admin Asst (worked in midtown Manhattan); a University Research Administrator for the State University of New York; I've been an Insurance Agent/Underwriter; A forklift operator (in Uni); A laminating machine operator (making truck bodies - also in Uni); Special Education Teacher Assistant; Teacher Aide; Seamstress; Rock Band (singer).

Hobbywise oddities (maybe?): I play seven instruments and sing pretty well (absolute total band geek side of me that not many people know about) - I used to win a lot of awards for my music ability in school; I played football(Soccer) and field hockey for my high school (JV);I love to do research on things that interest me - as in REALLY research something be it history or science or textile history or fashion design, whatever interests me I MUST KNOW ALL ABOUT IT; I speak three languages, understand another three (listening/reading); I am a fabric addict - can't ever have too much fabric in my world; I collect sewing machines - the older the better and I also refurbish them. Sewing is my therapy actually.

Some days I think I might be schizo (or really a Gemini and not a Virgo as my birth certificate says) and other days I think I just have Aspergers (my father has it,l my uncle is convinced I am ADHD cos I was hyper as a kid).

Thats all I can think of for now. Please don't laugh.

Wow, I always knew that Geeks were an amazing bunch of people......

What about me? Well, horses dominated my life for about 20 years and have recently resurfaced! I've done most things, dressage, jumping etc. and even had a couple of Polo lessons!! One things I've never done is bring on a youngster, I need a foal!!

I've done a tandem sky-dive from 12,000 feet - was an experience but I wouldn't do it again!!

I've done the Paytex Moonwalk - 26.2 miles walking in my bra!

I'm a pretty good cook - I make a mean Beef Bourgignon.....

I lost $100 in 10 minutes in the Bellagio in Las Vegas playing Craps - luckily I managed to win most if back playing Roulette in Circus Circus..... Moral of that story, only gamble if you know the rules!!!

I once stuck my fingers together with Superglue, oh and I broke both my arms at the same time when I was 10!!!!

That'll do I reckon, lol!!!

Love the thread Lelli :hug:

Last edited:
Made my ow curtains too for my kitchen windows and door, and also drapes for my basement family room window. :) Figured out on my own with a sewing machine older than myself (you know it's old when there's pictures on the manual from the 40-50's lol). Friends wanted to know where I bought them LOL

Those old sewing machines did a good old job. My Mum had several of them as she was a dress maker. Is it a Singer brand by any chance?

I was given a Singer sewing machine by my Nana - it is about as old as yours V, including the illustrations from the 40's in the manual!! Fab thing but it weighs a ton!

Wow, I always knew that Geeks were an amazing bunch of people......

What about me? Well, horses dominated my life for about 20 years and have recently resurfaced! I've done most things, dressage, jumping etc. and even had a couple of Polo lessons!! One things I've never done is bring on a youngster, I need a foal!!

I've done a tandem sky-dive from 12,000 feet - was an experience but I wouldn't do it again!!

I'm a pretty good cook - I make a mean Beef Bourgignon.....

I lost $100 in 10 minutes in the Bellagio in Las Vegas playing Craps - luckily I managed to win most if back playing Roulette in Circus Circus..... Moral of that story, only gamble if you know the rules!!!

I once stuck my fingers together with Superglue, oh and I broke both my arms at the same time when I was 10!!!!

That'll do I reckon, lol!!!

Maybe the skydiving goes some way to explaining things...but HOW did you break both arms when you was 10? and how did you cope?

Maybe the skydiving goes some way to explaining things...but HOW did you break both arms when you was 10? and how did you cope?

Well, I slipped during a race on Sports Day and landed awkwardly breaking my left wrist then about a week later we had school trip to a local forest and I slipped off a fallen log. In the process of protecting my broken wrist I put my right arm out to save myself and managed to break that one as well although not as seriously (my left wrist was a bit of a mess and needed operating on and then 12 weeks in plaster).

I coped very grumpily! I lived down at the stables, unable to ride or do anything but it was better than being at home! Luckily the right arm healed fairly quickly to a point that I could use it to eat and stuff, not that I told the Dr I as using it!!

It was a part of my childhood that I remember quite vividly, lo :)l!!!

I was an Irish Dancer till I was 19, I still dance today but dont compete anymore

Ok, the sky dive OMG!! Nope you can't get me to do that LOL

But ummmmmmmmmmmm the moonwalk? WHAT is that and what do you mean by 'walking in my bra'? :lol:

But ummmmmmmmmmmm the moonwalk? WHAT is that and what do you mean by 'walking in my bra'? :lol:

well I think Vetty meant Playtex not paytex....which is a brand of bra...

and it's a group of women who walk a marathon in their bras for charity ( breast cancer )...

Walk the Walk - charity raising money and awareness for breast cancer research and cancer care | charity walk | : The Playtex MoonWalk, The MoonWalk Edinburgh, The SunWalk Bristol, The SunWalk Newcastle is the website that explains it a little better.

On the other-hand Vetty might just enjoy walking a verrrrrrrrry long distance in her bra....:lol:

well I think Vetty meant Playtex not paytex....which is a brand of bra...

and it's a group of women who walk a marathon in their bras for charity ( breast cancer )...

Walk the Walk - charity raising money and awareness for breast cancer research and cancer care | charity walk | : The Playtex MoonWalk, The MoonWalk Edinburgh, The SunWalk Bristol, The SunWalk Newcastle is the website that explains it a little better.

On the other-hand Vetty might just enjoy walking a verrrrrrrrry long distance in her bra....:lol:

I did mean Playtex :o and they sponsor the event. It's a marathon distance walk to raise money for breast cancer research and yep, you do it in your bra - decorated of course! It's called the Moonwalk because it's done through London overnight...... I've also done the Sunwalk which is a half marathon and in the day. although still in bras!!

Tbh, I'm so proud that I did it but the Moonwalk is also on my list of 'done it once and never again' things!!!!

I did mean Playtex :o and they sponsor the event. It's a marathon distance walk to raise money for breast cancer research and yep, you do it in your bra - decorated of course! It's called the Moonwalk because it's done through London overnight...... I've also done the Sunwalk which is a half marathon and in the day. although still in bras!!

Tbh, I'm so proud that I did it but the Moonwalk is also on my list of 'done it once and never again' things!!!!

You have much to be proud of. What a great fundraiser.
Although, not sure i'd have the courage to walk about in my underthings lol (which is stupid, because I have no problem with a bikini on a beach... must be a dumb subconcious thing lol)

Some women wear their bra's over their t-shirts and stuff Victoria...but I say if you have a good pair get um out! :lol:

and Vetty it is something to be very proud of...but I don't blame you not doing it again...I get tired driving my car 26 miles, never mind walking it!

I forgot to say earlier....I have another secret...I witnessed a strange phenomenon when I was young...and it has led to television appearances and articles in numerous magazines/newspapers....!!!!

Errr I have a diploma in Psychology, I went to a grammar school and I dream of one day going to uni to study either Forensic psychology or marine biology :)

I am also a keen fabric-a-holic and can also sew - I make corsets and gowns and such - there are pics of osme things in my photobucket in my sig - under "Dressmaking" xxx

I forgot to say earlier....I have another secret...I witnessed a strange phenomenon when I was young...and it has led to television appearances and articles in numerous magazines/newspapers....!!!!

Ooooooooo tell us!!

What a fun thread!

When I left school I was a forensic scientist for several years until I had a family.
I was Brown Owl
I did a bungee jump
For over 10 years I was a magistrate, youngest in the county for quite some time. (bet that took any smiles of faces! LOL)

I used to sell premium rate numbers to newspapers, for dating and astrology. I've met a few famous people as a result and been to some exciting places.

However workwise I love what I do.

I would like to write a story about my bad marriage and struggling with singleparenthood; parenting, working, childcare; but it is all worth it.

I used to read tarot cards live online, but didn't get much money. Read for some private clients and need to get back into it. I was told I had the gift at 18 and have been reading since then mid thirties now....

Very spiritual and would love to go to a buddhist retreat or on a yoga holiday so need to tone up!

I've a lot of aspirations, but whether they will happen lord knows...

All I ask is for me and my little family to remain happy and healthy and live long happy lives:)

Oooh Mum - how long in uni did you have to study for the forensic science? It truly fascinates me alongside the psychology :)

I'm learning pole dancing! It's really addictive and the best workout I've ever done!!

What a fun thread!

When I left school I was a forensic scientist for several years until I had a family.
I was Brown Owl
I did a bungee jump
For over 10 years I was a magistrate, youngest in the county for quite some time. (bet that took any smiles of faces! LOL)

Wow Forensic Science how fab is that :)

I'm learning pole dancing! It's really addictive and the best workout I've ever done!!

I believe that pole dancing is fab to get you toned and looking fab xxxxxxx

Latest posts

Back